• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film What was the last movie you watched?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Justice League

This movie is basically Avengers Assemble with DC characters...only with significantly less prequel movie buildup. In a way that makes it better, because Avengers Assemble was an absolutely terrible film precluded by several fairly good ones and a few bad ones. Justice League is an absolutely terrible film precluded by a few equally bad ones and one good one (Wonder Woman) so, whilst it isn't a disappointing anticlimax the way AA was and is about what I expected from DC, that it met my expectations is definitely not a good thing, because I was expecting to be bored out of my skull and I was.

I think Aquaman is well cast, though...well, to a point. I honestly prefer the blonde idiot Aquaman who sings rousing songs of heroism and gets himself into all sorts of silly situations, but since DC movies have to be gritty and miserable (please change this, Shazam) casting Jason Momoa was a pretty good choice.

But seriously. DC have no business making live action superhero movies. They should just stick to the animated ones. Those are almost always great, or at least entertaining, and they don't drag out for what feels like two and a half years rather than two and a half hours.
How do you feel about the new Aquaman movie then? Do you find it odd that DC introduces "new" characters before they themselves have their own solo movie?

pkmin3033

How do you feel about the new Aquaman movie then? Do you find it odd that DC introduces "new" characters before they themselves have their own solo movie?
I'll let you know when I see it, haha. The trailer makes me hope it'll be more like Wonder Woman than Man of Steel in terms of quality, but I don't think it'll be as good as Shazam when that comes out. I don't know enough about Aquaman to know if he really warrants his own movie, but the CGI looks nice, and I recognised Black Manta in there...Black Manta is OK. xD

I suppose it IS quite strange (although Marvel did the same thing with Spiderman...which is probably a good thing, because Homecoming was awful) but Marvel probably forced their hand with the general success of the MCU. It's not a bad idea in its own way either, to pique interest by introducing characters in crossover movies, then release solo movies afterwards. The general lack of character development might prompt people to watch the solo movies to find out more about them. Feedback on said characters from the crossover movie can help them readjust plans and schedules so they know who to focus on, too.

...maybe that's giving them a little too much credit, though.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
I'll let you know when I see it, haha. The trailer makes me hope it'll be more like Wonder Woman than Man of Steel in terms of quality, but I don't think it'll be as good as Shazam when that comes out. I don't know enough about Aquaman to know if he really warrants his own movie, but the CGI looks nice, and I recognised Black Manta in there...Black Manta is OK. xD

I suppose it IS quite strange (although Marvel did the same thing with Spiderman...which is probably a good thing, because Homecoming was awful) but Marvel probably forced their hand with the general success of the MCU. It's not a bad idea in its own way either, to pique interest by introducing characters in crossover movies, then release solo movies afterwards. The general lack of character development might prompt people to watch the solo movies to find out more about them. Feedback on said characters from the crossover movie can help them readjust plans and schedules so they know who to focus on, too.

...maybe that's giving them a little too much credit, though.
With Marvel, I don't really think of Spider-Man - as we had Tony McGwuire/Andrew Garfield arcs already - but rather Black Panther; that's the only one I can potentially think of that made an appearance before he had his own movie, which obviously worked out based on gross box office.

I think my big issue with Justice League was that you can make an argument that there were only 2 characters that had their own origin movies before: Superman and Wonder Woman. Flash & Cyborg has nothing in the pipeline, Aquaman was pulling a Black Panther, and Batman had a new horrible actor (we don't count Batman v Superman as an origin movie as that was god awful).

Shazam looks like crap, sorry not sorry (:

pkmin3033

With Marvel, I don't really think of Spider-Man - as we had Tony McGwuire/Andrew Garfield arcs already - but rather Black Panther; that's the only one I can potentially think of that made an appearance before he had his own movie, which obviously worked out based on gross box office.

I think my big issue with Justice League was that you can make an argument that there were only 2 characters that had their own origin movies before: Superman and Wonder Woman. Flash & Cyborg has nothing in the pipeline, Aquaman was pulling a Black Panther, and Batman had a new horrible actor (we don't count Batman v Superman as an origin movie as that was god awful).

Shazam looks like crap, sorry not sorry (:
I like to pretend that those never happend...Andrew Garfield's films especially. I guess my point was that Spiderman was new to the MCU at the time, and he kinda came out of nowhere. Black Panther definitely worked out better, although I think that was more due to casting than it was to anything else - "whitewashing" is a pretty common complaint in the industry these days, after all. The plot was certainly no better or any different to previous origin story films. Marvel and their origin stories, my god. They're all practically identical! But considering how well Black Panther did, I am amazed and more than a little dismayed that T'Challa had such a tiny role in Infinity War. Although I have far more complaints than that about Infinity War...

True. In a lot of ways Justice League was a larger scale version of Batman v Superman, actually. Maybe not QUITE as bad, but clearly more of a setup film than a major event. If you look at Justice League as an answer to Avengers Assemble and a marketing tool to find out which characters viewers are most interested in - and probably a setup for a Crisis film or two somewhere in the distant future - it makes a lot more sense. Doesn't make it any better, but even so.

Well, it at least looks like a change of pace and tone. DC has always been more gritty and down-to-earth than Marvel, but it has a funny side too, and I'm hoping they'll be able to capture some of that with Captain Marv--I mean, Shazam. They at least look like they're going to try...whether it'll work or not is another story. But the DCU is the complete opposite of the MCU - it has absolutely no humour. It really needs some. Just like the MCU needs to stop trying to turn every bloody character into a snark outlet.

Last edited:
Years
Well, right this second I'm watching Gladiator with Russell Crowe on Netflix. It's a great movie and I remember having to do a report on it at University a year or two ago.

The last movie I watched though was Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets. Found the Ultimate Edition of it when I was shopping yesterday for like $14.95 and it got reduced to $10 for some reason so I bought it, it had a few hours of behind the scenes footage and stuff, was a really interesting watch.

AlexMills

pokemaster
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Julius Caesar!
It's from 2002 and it's about the Roman Empire, really nice!

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
Actually right now, The Lorax. I do have movies I wanna rewatch though like both guardians of the galaxys and iron man series.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Anastasia. Its been years since I have watched this, it is even more entertaining than I remembered. Gorgeous movie! Disney must have been awful jealous of this one.

Saw that movie in theaters when it came out years ago. Neat little story about the fall of the Russian Monarchy with a few decent songs thrown in for good measure. I'm not so sure if Disney would be jealous though. They released Hercules that same year(Zero to Hero... bless my soul, Herc is on a roll). Followed that up with Mulan the following year and Tarzan the year after that. So was Disney jealous? Not really...

Years
Saw that movie in theaters when it came out years ago. Neat little story about the fall of the Russian Monarchy with a few decent songs thrown in for good measure. I'm not so sure if Disney would be jealous though. They released Hercules that same year(Zero to Hero... bless my soul, Herc is on a roll). Followed that up with Mulan the following year and Tarzan the year after that. So was Disney jealous? Not really...

I took a jab at Disney because many people mistakenly attributed Anastasia to being a Disney film, its been a joke for years XD

Never could get into Tarzan myself, I did like Mulan though. Hercules was funny too.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
The Electric Piper

A legendary TV only animated movie that was finished in 2000, debuted in 2003, then disappeared after a few airings. Only those affiliated with the creators of it had an official hard copy. Fortunately one of them anonymously released it online in 2016.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Scream

My all time favorite horror movie. I just love everything about it. A must watch for this time of year!

Years
Fern Gully. Well this is nostalgic, Even though it had been out for years by the time I saw it, it was still part of my childhood. I even had a Crystal doll and beach towel. This movie holds up beautifully with time, and is even more potent today in the current environmental climate. I'm really worried about Jair Bolsonaro taking control of Brazil and opening up the amazon rainforest for money.

Fern Gully is a beautiful, beautiful, sensitive film with a message, gorgeous artwork, likeable characters, humor, great music and powerful, original story.

Last edited:
Back