• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Was your starter choice different to the starter you picked in DPPt?

Years
  • Did you choose the same or a different starter to what you first picked (or picked most often) in DPPt? Was your starter kept on your team all the way through the game?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Pretty sure Turtwig was the one I picked on my first DPPt playthrough, so it ended up being the same in BDSP yeah

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I never played the original D/P. My first Sinnoh starter (Platinum) was Turtwig, but I did more playthroughs later choosing Chimchar and Piplup too.

My Shining Pearl starter was Turtwig too, but I started playing with the idea of not keeping it on my final team. The thing is, my team was pretty weak against Rock and Electric types so at the end I kept Torterra on my team to balance that.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yes...and no. I only had Diamond, then later Platinum too and I picked Piplup both times (and more than the others on subsequent playthroughs too). This time, buying 2nd hand I started with Shining Pearl which I picked... you guessed it, Piplup! But when I got Brilliant Diamond I went for Turtwig. Decided to have a male character in BD with a Dark / Sandstorm team (Torterra / Honchkrow / Skuntank / East Sea Gastrodon / HIppowdon / Garchomp) and a female character in SP with a partial Hail team (Empoleon / Staraptor / Mismagius / Abomasnow / Weavile / Toxicroak).

Realise despite so many saves, I've only used 2 of those non-starter pokémon (Honchkrow and Staraptor). That's what is so great about pokémon, aside from needing to tough out the early routes without captures eventually (Turtwig has a Shinx to keep him company until we get Murkrow and Stunky), there are over 200 different team options in the DP dex alone!

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I went Piplup in Pearl, and Chimchar in Platinum and Shining Pearl

Years
    • Seen today
    I started with Piplup again. I almost always will gravitate towards the water starter on a first playthrough.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2023
    I had always picked Chimchar in DP and now In BD/SP i picked Turtwig.

Back