• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dumb things you believed as a kid

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    What's something really weird you believed as a kid?

Someone told me the F word was frappe, so I never bought one after that xD

Years
  • My parent's never told me anything really outlandish as a kid so I had nothing to believe, really. Though I did used to think that hamsters laid eggs

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I used to hear Americans talking about temperatures in Fahrenheit and thinking of the numbers as though they were Celsius. As a result, for quite awhile I used to think that when it reached 100?F in the US that lakes and rivers were boiling over and people were literally melting away, Because, you know, 100?C is the boiling point of water. Don't ask me why I knew that but not that Fahrenheit was a thing. xDD

Vragon

Weak laughter while scratches back of head.
    Oh the answers I could put, but I'll just stick with a few.

1) Believed that eating leaves off of random trees was good for you (and did it for a time)
    2) Was tricked into thinking that people eat lizards by letting them crawl down their throats.
    3) Thought shining a flashlight into my eyes at night was a good thing
    4) Didn't want my hair cut cause I thought I was killing them.
    5) Said I'd love my stuffed animals forever (though Dolphy has persisted and aged well)

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Believed all the dumb stuff my older brother told me, some examples:
    - The weird noise at night was a space saucer full of vampires descending in the forest (it was the heater)
    - Ghosts entered the room by the small holes in the ceiling (they were small nail holes because we would hang decoration from the ceiling, like plants)
    - I had to close the closet door and the curtains before going to sleep because otherwise werewolves would enter the room
    - Missingno was a sentient entity and if I forgot to close the game properly it would come out of the Gameboy and attack me

...I love my brother :|

string555

Banned
    Years
  • that shadows were going to eat me

Oh, they will. just you wait... :O

Thanks to my dad's lack of details during the sex talk, for a while I thought the female parts looked just like a belly button. :/

After watching a documentary on bigfoot with my friend when we were kids, we thought it was going to get us. (We didn't live anywhere near the woods, we lived in a suburb) XD

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • That people would become more mature and actually handle situations without being petty.

nope-timon.gif

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
  • The one that comes to mind right away was that, when I was in grade 1, it never occurred to me that teachers had first names. I got a bit of a weird feeling when that teacher's first name was revealed.

When I was even younger, maybe 3ish, I refused to shake an African-American man's hand because I was worried that it would darken my skin colour. My parents were quick to correct me on that...

I can't really think of anything else right now, I'll need to put more thought into it...

Guest123_x1

"You're only allowed to write in cursive in high school."

Seriously, I was told that way back in third or fourth grade! But, when high school eventually came, that "rule" was hardly enforced, except for some very serious assignments such as research papers (which could also be typed out on the computer, as I did with my research papers, as well as many other writing assignments since at least 7th Grade).

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • For some reason I thought that all cats were female and all dogs were male.
    I also believed that honey would taste similar to some very specific mango and orange flavored soup since the texture and color of the honey in Winnie the Pooh somehow reminded me of fruit soup.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • did y'alls parents tell u that it's illegal to have the light in the car on or the cops will pull u over bc i'm 25 and have known since i was 18 that it's legal to do that and i still won't turn my light on in the car at night shit i ain't riskin it

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • "You're only allowed to write in cursive in high school."

Seriously, I was told that way back in third or fourth grade! But, when high school eventually came, that "rule" was hardly enforced, except for some very serious assignments such as research papers (which could also be typed out on the computer, as I did with my research papers, as well as many other writing assignments since at least 7th Grade).

This is very true. Ive forgotten cursive with the exception of writing my name in cursive, but I've tried just for fun to write in cursive and i think with a little bit of practice I could pick it up again. but who cares?

I was told that if you kissed a girl with braces if you had braces then the braces would get stuck together and you would have to go to the dentist to get the braces removed, otherwise you would be stuck together forever.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    did y'alls parents tell u that it's illegal to have the light in the car on or the cops will pull u over bc i'm 25 and have known since i was 18 that it's legal to do that and i still won't turn my light on in the car at night **** i ain't riskin it

OH MY GOODNESS im late but YES
    idk why they tell me that, I hurt my eyes trying to read in the dark :(

Back