• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rebuying games

pkmin3033

Are there any games that you've purchased more than once? What factors influence you to buy a game a second - or even third or fourth - time, and which games would you buy again if they met these criteria?

Years
  • do ports to different systems count? if so, older Pokémon games when they were moved to the virtual console, and then Rune Factory 4 (originally for 3DS) when it was ported to the switch! I love these games so much and can replay them endlessly, so the repurchase was worth it. Pokémon added the ability to move your mons from RBY and GSC virtual console over to home (and as a result, into the latest games) as well, which is neat and gives me more attachment to the teams I create in each run. the entertainment is endless to me with the original two generations, so the repurchase was definitely worth it.

RF4 on the other hand has a special place in my heart because of the characters and music. <3 I was so happy when it was made relevant again via the switch port. seeing those graphics on the switch screen and how much crisper they looked was great, even if the extra content added into the port wasn't too lengthy.

Magitronique

I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
    Years
  • Aside from some virtual console repurchases, the last time I re-purchased a game was a digital copy of the PS4 version of Fallout 4 when the disc stopped working for whatever reason.

not, uh, money particularly well spent looking back on it lmao

Years
    • Seen today
    Only if there's additional content and I really liked the game.

For example I'll probably purchase Dragon Quest 11 for the Switch, since I only played the PS4 version.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i have three copies of pokemon sapphire, all in different languages..........the answer? i have a problem. lol but nah idk i like having extra copies of games i really love, but it does have to be different from the copy i already own in Some capacity. either a different version, language, maybe even rebuying a game bc i found it with the box and manual (esp N64 games, back when we ain't know better and threw the boxes away lol).

i have multiple copies of various pokemon games. sapphire (english, french, japanese), silver (english, french, VC), crystal (english, japanese, VC), black 2 (english, japanese), heartgold (both english), emerald (both english), white (english, japanese), Y (physical and digital), aaand i think that's it. lol for non-pokemon, i have three versions of ocarina of time (gold cart, 3DS, gamecube...used to have a grey cart too, but needed money), two kirby (one english w no box, the other is japanese w everything), harvest moon: a wonderful life (PS2, GCN), persona 5 (vanilla and royal, though they might just count as separate games entirely since one is a deluxe lol). i think that's it...i did at one point own two tales of xillia 2 bc i bought one on my own and then ended up loving it and got a collector's edition as a gift, but i sold the extra copy when i needed money more than a box on my shelf.

trainer_nokachi

the trainer who wanders ~
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    I don't think I've had to buy or rebuy a game ever since I discovered ROMs.
    I think the last time I did rebuy a game, it was either Soul Silver or Platinum.
    Although, lately I've been thinking of buying a PS2 and buying the old Jak and Daxter Trilogy. I can't seem to get the emulator to work, but I don't mind buying an older console and older games, I still have my old N64 so I have a bit of a thing for nostalgia.

Years
  • i've repurchased Okami several times and each time i've enjoyed it as much as i did the first time i've played it. it's one of those timeless games that doesn't get old to me no matter how many times i've repurchased it for a different console.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • Hmmm...as someone who bought every version of Kingdom Hearts, from PS2 to now in NA/JP versions of the game.
    I'm also recollecting my old collection I sold off years ago, so I've been buying retro games for a while, I recently repurchase Final Fantasy VII for PS1, I own the PS4 port from the PC, and the REMAKE. As well rebuying old systems like N64, which im in need to collect more games for that system its mostly for my daughter, the most expensive rebuy I bought was just a game not a console was Pokemon Soul Silver that is one DS game I needed back, my all time favorite Pokemon game. Imma try to collect PSP, or Gameboy games and handheld consoles here soon.

in conclusion, gaming is an expensive hobby. But really worth it in my personal opinion.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I've bought Skyrim for Xbox 360 and Nintendo Switch before, don't think I'll do it again for any other game

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Ahah, I've bought Dragon Age Origins 3 times, on different platforms. I've settled on just keeping my Dragon Age and Mass Effect games on Origin, where EA adamantly believes they belong, I guess. You need an origin account to run it from steam anyway.

That said, I've also half-joked about buying Stardew Valley on a different platform to 100% the achievements again once I get them all on steam.

pkmin3033

It occurs to me that I've bought far too many games three times on different platforms. I think for me it's the convenience factor, especially where the Switch is concerned - playing something on a handheld that I would have had to previously play on my TV is too good an opportunity to pass up. If the price is right and the game is good enough. I'm also kinda embarrassed to admit that some games I've bought more than once because I didn't play them the first time: I picked up both Mary Skelter and God Wars on Switch after never getting around to them on the Vita. Still haven't gotten around to either. Welp. But that said, I haven't picked up the Code: Realize VNs on Switch because of the pricing. Often it just seems to depend on how much I want it. xD

Years
  • The only game that comes to mind is Pokemon Ultra Moon (yeah, you can call me dumb).
    I bought it physical, but i'd rather have my mon's digitally, so with a heavy heart, I redownloaded it on the E-shop just to LEGALLY transfer them with this E-shop approved transfer app. Now my physical copy is swipe clean.
    Well who knows, the price of a gently used Ultra Moon cartridge with the box is sure to skyrocket eventually.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • This is the opportunity where I can mention I've owned four copies of Pokémon Platinum! Though a couple of them were just handed to me because people I knew weren't interested in playing Pokémon anymore. Their loss.

There are a few games I've wanted to buy again after losing them or trading them in when I was younger. Explorers of Sky and Mario Kart DS are the first that come to mind.

Back