• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Misunderstood lyrics

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
  • Have you ever looked up the lyrics of a song, just to realize you've been singing the wrong thing or complete gibberish the whole time? What are some songs where you misunderstood the lyrics?

I think this is the best example I can think of:

For the longest time I didn't even know what language these people were singing in. I couldn't pick out any words, and even after reading through the lyrics several times (which are in English btw) I still don't understand what they're saying...

Years
  • Really awesome thread!!! I was actually gonna create something similar but you beat me to it! 😊

How about Purple Haze by The Jimi Hendrix Experience...

The lyrics are so obviously:

Purple haze all in my brain
    Lately, things just don't seem the same
    Acting funny, but I don't know why
    Excuse me while I kiss this guy

Yet people keep telling me that's wrong! smh

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Harder to Breathe by Maroon 5 is full of verses that sound incomprehensible without looking up the lyrics.

Also, who can forget that iconic "lyrics" video of Get Lucky?

Years
  • the infamous "starbucks lovers" in Taylor Swift's Blank Space

Edwin McCain - I'll Be as well. i always sing the chorus as

And I'll be your cryin' soldier
    I'll be your suicide
    And I'll be badder when I'm older~

checked out the lyrics recently and every single line has something wrong in it lmao

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i hated unwritten by natasha bedingfield for so long bc i could not grasp why she was saying "today is where your poop begins" and then i Realized. but i still hate that song.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Mr. Brightside by The Killers. It's supposed to be "Cause I'm Mr. Brightside" which makes a lot more sense but I've always heard it as "Cause I miss the bright side". Not the worst misunderstanding but :D I also used to never have any idea what they were saying in I'm Blue. I believed people when I was younger when they said the chorus was "I want Bieber to die"..... cheerful, I know!

Also editing this in but in The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani, I remember thinking the rap was total gibberish and I would always proudly yell refrigerator at the end because that's the only word I could pick out. Good times

Last edited:
    Years
  • Also editing this in but in The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani, I remember thinking the rap was total gibberish and I would always proudly yell refrigerator at the end because that's the only word I could pick out. Good times

You tryna tell me it's not a bunch of gibberish before refrigerator?

I was one of the many people who thought the pussycat dolls wanted boobies when they grow up. Turns out it was groupies...

Years
  • was the chorus to BeeGees - Stayin' Alive not mentioned yet?

asdfghjklasdfghjkshavjklaskdfakl stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Years
  • My partner is a huge Little Mermaid fan, yet she insists the lyrics for Part of Your World are:

Bet'cha on land, they understand
    That they don't reprimand their daughters
    Pregnant women, sick of swimming
    Ready to stand

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    SLOWLY WALKIN DOWN THE HALL FASTER THAN A CANONBALL!!

I physically understand it, mentally... its made me question my understanding of physics, motion, and the laws of time and space😏

Years
  • Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down

The chorus lyrics are: Don't bring me down, groos

Literally everyone, including the band (it became a sort of in-joke), sing: Don't bring me down, Bruce

Well everyone except me, cause I'm an obstinate so-and-so ;)

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
  • A lot of Volbeat, Sad Man's Tongue, the opening verse is easy to understand then it sounds like a lot of gibberish with Johny Cash's name sprinkled in here and there. A Warrior's Call is another one of their songs that I used to have a hard time understanding the words in. His accent mixed with fast singing makes it kinda hard to tell what he's saying sometimes.

Years
  • Billy Joel - It's Still Rock and Roll to Me

The lyrics are clearly:

Next phase, new wave, dance great, panty raid
    It's still rock and roll to me

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
  • 200.gif

Going back to my earlier comment on Volbeat songs. In their song Still Counting, because of how the radio censored it, I used to think the first verse said

"Counting all the apples in the room, well I'm definitely not alone."

I was really confused until I realized they were censoring the word "assholes". I spent way too much time trying to figure out what apples had to do with the rest of the song.

Years
  • My partner swears the lyrics in Manfred Mann's Earth Band's version of Blinded by the Light are:

"wrapped up like a douche" instead of "revved up like a deuce"

Back