• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your first shiny Pokémon?

Years
  • can't remember what the first one that i caught was, but i remember my first encounter like it was yesterday.

i was playing Diamond post game and was headed to Mt. Coronet. went in through the route West of Hearthome and there i encountered a "really weird" Machop, because it was a different color and it came at me with a sparkling animation. for some reason i never thought to catch it and promptly killed because i thought it was a glitch and it scared me lmao.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • it was a whismur in ruby. i didn't really get the concept of shiny pokemon so i just saw that it was a whismur w green ears and thought it was sick...so i caught it, intending to. ig nurture it back to health (aka: to normal color??).

Years
  • An igglybuff from the odd egg in Crystal. The first one I catched was a zigzagoon in Sapphire. And it wasn't even my game, a friend of mine had lent me his cartridge

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Mine was a random Shiny Ponyta in Pokemon Diamond. It is now lost forever, though, as that save file is no longer readable.
    I remember teaching it Solar Beam idk why.

Years
  • Mine was a shiny Audino that I randomly found in my first Black 2 playthrough on the Route 5 while training my Pokemon against wild Audino since they give out a lot of EXP. I never expected to find a shiny since the only time I ever saw one until that point was the Red Gyarados back in HG/SS but after around 20 minutes of training on regular wild Audino a shiny one decided to appear, I was super excited and thankfully I managed to catch it without much trouble.

Years
  • The first that I caught was a Shroomish back on Sapphire. To be honest, I don't even remember catching it, but it was right at the front of my boxes in the game, which meant I probably caught it in the Petalburg Woods early on, and it went sitting in the PC unused for years.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    My first one was the red Gyarados. The first one that I randomly found was a shiny Weepinbell. Later on in the same safe file I also encountered a shiny Spearow and a shiny Unown.

That was back in gen 2.

Years
  • not counting the red gyarados from johto, my first shiny was a shiny giratina that i was soft resetting to get in plat o: took a total of six whole hours for it, which is honestly on the super lucky side considering i had enough patience to do that. xD

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • A Golbat in Silver. I didn't know about Shinies back then (I thought Red Gyarados was the only alt. color sparkly Pokémon) and didn't notice the color difference in the dim lighting, so I figured my eyes were playing tricks on me when it sparkled and tried to run. The game probably said "Couldn't get away" due to Golbat's high speed, but I'm telling you, what I read was "You don't want to do that!" Heeding that advice, I opted to catch it. My older cousin was so jealous when I told him about it!

I eventually evolved it into a pink Crobat, which I'm sure I regretted after seeing Crobat's terrifying Stadium 2 model. It couldn't even participate in the Gutsy Golbat mini-game anymore...

Last edited:

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • My first actual wild random shiny was a Psyduck in Heartgold in the Ilex Forest. I named it Shine because I am the pinnacle of creativity and she still resides on my Moon file to this day.

Years
  • The first that I caught was a Shroomish back on Sapphire. To be honest, I don't even remember catching it, but it was right at the front of my boxes in the game, which meant I probably caught it in the Petalburg Woods early on, and it went sitting in the PC unused for years.

Funny you happen to have this avatar because my first ever shiny was a Marill I found near the Winstrates in Sapphire. I was like 8 or 9 and didn't know what a shiny was but I still caught it because I thought it looked cool but I ended up resetting that game at some point and losing it.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
  • The first shiny I got in a game that wasn't a fangame or rom hack was a Shiny Growlithe in Pokemon GO, and my first one in a mainline game was a Shiny Snover in Pokemon Sword that I recently got while doing a Nuzlocke

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • My first shiny was Igglybuff from the Odd Egg in Crystal, but those are basically a freebie. My first wild shiny was a Weedle in Ilex Forest in Forest. I was using Headbutt on the trees for some reason...

Sadly, I am unable to transfer my Gen 2 shinies all the way up to a current gen. The battery probably died by now too on my Crystal.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • The first one I recall was a full odds Banette in Pokémon Black 2...I was playing on an emulator so it's lost forever :(

However, the first one I got and still have to this day is a Charizard I spent a whole weekend breeding for when I was 17.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2021
    The scripted Gyarados in Gold. The first 'random' shiny I found was not until Black 2, a Psyduck, which sadly was lost when my game file stopped working. Then there was a Druddigon in X that showed up when I had no Pokéballs, much to my consternation. The first shiny I found in the wild that I still own was an Alolan Grimer in Hau'oli City in Moon. I have over 200 shinies from breeding though.

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • Got a shinny krabby by accident at Olivine City and exchanged it with the nearest NPC because I thought it was a glitch on my game =|

Back