• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Keeps You into Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Probably shiny hunting in gen 6. I stopped watching the anime and watching the movies in 2006. I got out of collecting the cards when I was 13 but got back into it with Black and White and XY then stopped again with Sun and Moon.

I don't like Sun and Moon so I spend most of my time shiny hunting in gen 6. I didn't start shiny hunting until last year so gen 6 still feels like a new game. Plus I mainly just want the first 3 gen Pokemon shiny which I can get in gen 6.

Guest123_x1

I'm still in Pokémon just because it's a way to still feel like a kid at times (reliving my childhood memories of the earliest years of Pokémon), especially when I play the Generations I and II games on my 2DS, and when I watch episodes of the Original Series and its movies that I have on DVD.

Haggerella

Captain Butts
Years
I love it because it's such a feel good and delightful game and series.

I've struggled with depression on and off since my teens, and I've always found that no matter what garbage horrible life stuff is going on, Pokemon will make me happy. Whether its starting a new game with a new team, the thrill of hunting for shinys, replaying an old favourite or watching the anime for a quick pick me up (cause honestly, even when you cry at it, at the end of the day Ash probably loves a pokemon and thats nOT TOO SHABBY).

Ultimately the more the franchise grows, the more developers push to make you feel like the world is real and its such a GOOD world and that's such a good thing.

NOT TO MENTION

Pokemon go brought the whole damn world together to hang out and literally talk to people around them for a solid couple of months. And I couldn't be more proud that this dang franchise was the one to do it.

Its just pure af.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
I think the new games come out at a flow that isn't too fast to overwhelm me, but also not too spread apart to make me get bored and want to leave. Also, the fan communities around the internet, here, Tumblr, reddit, etc all help me keep my interest when I'm not playing! Why I'm still into it after so many years (I've been a fan for 14?? years) I'm honestly not too sure about. I think it has to do with the fact that it centers on animals. I've always been an animal lover and getting to play a game where I catch and train my own was very appealing to me as a child and I guess it just stuck.

Bigjon357

https://discord.gg/HAXrq78
Years
I love training Pokemon! Theirs something rewarding about catching or hatching a Pokemon and seeing all the time and efforts you put into that Pokemon.and the post story is fun too. It keeps me busy when I'm bored. The battles online are essentially the best bc it gives you a feel of accomplishment when you win a battle. Trading is fun too you get to meet other trainer's from around the world. I don't think I'll ever not play Pokemon games their just to addicting!

luckyjack

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 19, 2018
Pokemon are basically sentient pets that look cool and can do cool stuff. Whether or not you battle them to make them more powerful doesn't really matter - have a sentient pet with abilities would be incredible.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 30, 2020
I am not gonna lie, the human characters are what keep me in the series. I know that's not the main appeal to the series, but I feel it's been done well enough to keep me there. I really do like the personalities and the designs, not gonna lie.

The artwork has also evolved consistently. It was never bad, but I do feel this gen has seen the series art at its best yet.

The gameplay is also fun, be it catching Pokemon or just plain exploring the sights. It's a good thing to have fun gameplay.

Really, I'm not the most deep person when it comes to my enjoy ent of thr game series.

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Pokémon has always been there for me. Most of my best memories of my childhood relate to Pokémon. For a large portion of my life, Pokémon was my main and only obsession. The Pokémon themselves are very memorable, unique, and cute. I have differently lost interest and even "quit" before, but I can't let go of Pokémon. In the present day, I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a "big" fan of Pokémon. I haven't played any Generation VII games, don't watch the anime, and only play Pokémon seldomly. Yet because I've invested so much time in the past on Pokémon, I can't let go. That and the fact that I am curious about how the series will continue to change.

Last edited:

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
I just love how simple and yet at the same time complicated pokemon is. At the surface pokemon is just a game for kids, where they battle some NPCs, collect monsters and fight. But beneath that is a complicated web of numbers.

Besides pokemon is that game I can always come back to. I leave pokemon alone for like half a year or so and then when I play it again, it just hooks me in again and again. :)

Plus pokemon are cute and cool and I overall really like their design.

Years
It's a great world to escape to like Narnia, Oz, Hogwarts or Middle Earth, especially when you are unhappy with the life you are living. Pokemon is beautiful, its full of color and magic. It is a place where you can write your own happy ending, stay young forever, meet loyal friends and travel to faraway places, all things that you may or may not have attained in real life.

Pokemon reminds me of the brighter spots of my childhood. No matter what I was going through, whether it was moving out, changing schools, parents divorce, missing a friend, a fight with family, losing a job, death of a loved one my Pokemon were always there for me. They would never judge me or leave my side. It's a sanctuary of my mind.

As others have mentioned I am also an animal lover, I actually have worked with them and am a humane society volunteer. I guess Pokemon allows me to discover all kinds of new animals and keep them with me forever, training them to do extraordinary things and being able to talk to them like Dr. Dolittle and listen to what they have to say to me.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2018
Pokemon just floored me as a kid, and has just stuck with me all of my life and it reminds me of the safe and good parts of my childhood and some of the purest joy I've felt in my life. I still feel it in a lesser form when I play pokemon when I'm into it or when I just need to escape from adult life for awhile. And at this point, there are 7 generations worth of pokemon to enjoy and effectively endless different ways to play and enjoy the game. Also, @VisionofMilotic, it's awesome that you spend your time volunteering at a shelter. I did that myself for a summer back in high school, and then it turned into 3 years of employment that I adored!

lv255

! צדק צדק תרדוף
Years
Been into it ever since I was a kid. I pretty much raised myself online, and the communities I was in were all centered around Pokemon (mainly SPPf and here). Since I've got Asperger's, I have special interests, and Pokemon was my first one. Learning all the different ways you could play (normally as well as challenges like Nuzlocke, etc.) and learning that you could play it like a kid (just kind of choosing whatever attack looks coolest regardless of advantage, and things like that) and as you age end up playing it differently and approaching things from different angles throughout your life was fascinating to me. I still go back to things like Gen 2 and find different ways to play it as I get older, or derive different meanings from the same words NPCs might say.

I also really liked the glitches in RGBY and GSC (and RSE, to a point). I've always been into really screwed-up things like that that are, to be honest, often fridge horror, so as a kid and now as an adult that really hooked me.

I think in the end it can kind of be simplified down to the fact that Pokemon's always been with me. It's as inherent to me as, say, my sight, or having opposable thumbs. I'm so into it because there hasn't been a time when I haven't been into it (since the age of sentience, anyway), so a life without Pokemon is simply something I just can't envision.

Also, re: the anime, I do have to say I really like that no matter what Pokemon you're into, you're almost guaranteed for there to be a side character that's into it just as much. While most of the NPCs in the show are never seen again after their episode where they help Ash and friends, it's still cool to be, like, a Shedinja fan, and knowing most of your friends probably hate Shedinja because it's a Creepy Ghost Bug, but then seeing a Pokemon trainer in the anime who is really into Shedinja, and how their Shedinja helps out the main gang because it does something only a Shedinja can do, and hearing the trainer talk about why they chose to train a Shedinja ... you get me. There's almost always someone in the anime who shares your love for your favorite Pokemon, and as cheesy and repetitive and dumb as the anime can get, it's still nice to see.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Several things. Such as

- Nuzlocking (should be obvious if you know me well)
- Reading and/or watching other people's Nuzlocke s
- Watching Pokemon videos online.

And so on

Last edited:

Localshiny

Localshiny
Years
Pokemon was my childhood and it's still in my life. I love it to play the fangames too and watching
the anime!

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Pokemon is such a big part of my life that even when I lose the interest in games I like to keep updated, finding Cosplay or even making them (working on 2 and already did 1). If I don't like the new games, I can always play those I liked again :) I hate it when my fiends lose interest tho...

Years
  • Age 23
  • Asia
  • Seen Nov 21, 2019
Pokemon hasn't lost it's charm yet. I still feel excited and refreshing while starting a new adventure in a pokemon game.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Oct 23, 2018
i forgot about pokemon a long time ago already but recently came back to the scene again when they released the mobile app, Pokemon Go :)

Back