• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

favorite starter?

Whos the best starter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • Ignoring evolutions, I'm torn between Chikorita and Oshawott. Chikorita is up there for nostalgic value (my first game was Silver and I started with Chikorita) but, while cute at a glance, its anatomy starts getting weird the more I look at it.

Counting evolutions, Squirtle 100% since Wartortle is one of my top favorite Pokémon.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Chimchar is my favourite as I like both it and the two other Pokémon in its evolution line more than the other starters. I usually pick Chimchar whenever I do a playthrough of Platinum or Pearl.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Considering I've never played Gen 4 and hardly ever use water starters my favorite is Piplup's line.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Fennekin is my all-time favourite but I also voted for Piplup, Treeko, Torchic, Oshawott, and Chikorita!

Years
  • I have to go with Chimchar based mostly off of the great experiences I had in my early days of Pokemon (and he's just so damn cute) but I'm so torn :((( I just adore most of the starters (especially Cyndaquil and the Alola starters)

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I'm so glad many people are appreciating Treecko. I love its entire line (but Grovyle the most). I also really love Rowlet and its line.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Kanto - Female Charmader or Squirtle
    Johto - Cyndaquil or female Chikorita
    Hoenn - Mudkip (i don't think i take any other starter from the Hoenn region)
    Sinnoh - Chimchar becuase of it's treatment in the anime, i like turtles, but Chimchars takes my vote
    Unova - Tepig and female Snivy
    Kalos - Froakie, i know Fennekin is an fire fox, but i like Vulpix and Flareon better as fire foxes
    Alola - Popplio or Litten, creatures with bowties remind me of phantoms of the opera
    Galar - Sobble (Never owned it in any generation 2/3 romhacks but yeah that's my pick)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Cyndaquil! Do I even have to explain? Lol.

I suppose, for the fun of it. Here's my favorites by generation:

Kanto- Bulbasaura true classic.
    Johto- Cyndaquil(though I really do also love the Chikorita line).
    Hoenn- Torchic(Blaziken is a boss).
    Sinnoh- Turtwig(Piplup is close behind)
    Unova- Oshawott(2nd favorite starter line of all time, truly).
    Kalos- Froakie(like Chespin too though).
    Alola- Rowlet
    Galar- Grookey(like Scorbunny too).

Truth be told, other than Fennekin's evolutions, I think all the starters are solid Pokémon in every way.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    Kanto: Charmander
    Johto: Cyndaquil
    Hoenn: Mudkip / Treecko (can't choose, I've used both extensively)
    Sinnoh: Turtwig
    Unova: Snivy
    Kalos: Chespin

Haven't played gen 7 & 8 yet. And other than Charmander and Snivy I don't have any strong preferences, they're all great.

Back