• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has your favorite Pokémon game changed over time?

Years
  • I didn't notice it as a child, but now since everyone's complaining about it, yeah Diamond and Pearl were unbearably slow. Huh.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Hard to tell when the games have been the same since always. I still have to finish Platinum and have yet to play BW and BW2, though. I think I'll stick with spinoffs and keep Colosseum as my favorite for now idk

Years
  • It did a lot, mostly because there weren't better games at that time. Back in 2002, it was Yellow, then Gold, Silver and Crystal (2002 or 2003), Sapphire (2007) then Black and White (2011), then Sapphire again (2013) and then XY (2015) and Heart Gold and Soul Silver in recent years. What's funny is that you can see the gap in mid-2000, since there was literally no marketing for Pokémon in my country and games were barely available. Like I only found out about Gen IV at the end of its era.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2021
    As a kid I was a diehard Gen 4 fanboy. I barely even played the other games. As an adult, I've grown to appreciate the other games more. I'd say my favorite now is a tie between 3, 4, and 5. None of them are perfect but they're all great.

Years
  • Nah, my favorite pokemon game remains gold/silver, the originals.

There was immediate satisfaction when I replayed them on the emulator provided on the 3DS, but it wasn't the same as playing it on an actual gameboy.

I'm still very much in love with with the old art styles as opposed to the realistic look it has portrayed in the last three installations.

pkmin3033

Well, I started with Gen I and my favourite games are from Gen IV, so obviously my favourite game has changed a little over time, but not since Gen IV, which was...what, 14 years ago now? Oof.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Nah, since the beginning of when I started playing Pokemon, Emerald has been my favorite. That hasn't really changed, it still is. I do appreciate a lot of games after it, though!

Years
  • That's a tough one! I'd have to agree with Palamon though, my favourite game has always been Emerald tbh. I've maybe thought about placing FireRed above it years ago but honestly, the amount of time I've spent in the Hoenn region in that game, it deserves my number one spot. Other than FR, I'd say SoulSilver and Platinum come closest, I've really learnt to appreciate Gen 4 over the years, the more and more I've replayed it :)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Yes. It's usually the latest game, but sometimes it's one of the older games because I've recently come to appreciate how good they were. As of right now it's BW2.

Years
  • my favourites currently fluctuates between Emerald, Platinum, Pokemon Colosseum, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. all of them are absolutely solid games that imo haven't been topped by recent entries yet, imo

Years
    • Seen today
    It alternates between the Gen 2 games, Gen 3, (Emerald, not the kanto remakes). and Gen 6.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Mine has never changed, it's always been Crystal <3 I did give Soul Silver a shot, but it just wasn't the same for me even though the remakes are supposed to be better. I honestly think I got to Azalea Town and then just couldn't get into it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i mean my rankings change but my favorite is always RSE. it's just easy to go back to. i never get tired of it, no matter how many times i've played it or used the same pokemon over and over. i mean maybe it's not objectively good, but it's the game i get the most enjoyment and replayability out of.

Back