• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sinnoh revisit!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
So, with the remakes coming up, is anyone getting the same urge I am to re-play Platinum? :D It's still a really great game. It's just a pity that there's no online functions, so trading is a real hassle. The remakes will be fun because of the return of underground and all that :3 along with general mechanical quality-of-life improvements to get Sinnoh up to speed with what we're used to now, I'm sure.

But I argue that there's a charm to Gen 4 Sinnoh (much like imo Gen 2 Crystal has!) that the remakes proooobably won't be able to replicate completely ;) What do you think?

Vagabond+

Dream Traveler
Years
I agree! I think the same happened with HGSS and ORAS. The charm and feel of the originals tend to remain even if they don't have all the features of the remakes.

However, there IS a way to go online using fan servers. Change your DNS number to 164.132.44.106 and it will work! There may be some error codes to work through though.

Years
i've explored Sinnoh way too many times in my youth for there to be an itch to replay it again lol. it's still my fave region of all time, but i'd rather keep just my fond memories of it from a happier time in my life, rather than try and make dull new ones.

it's definitely got its charm. as we've learned time and time again from past remakes, 99% of the time they will fail to recapture it. rather they'll try and be their own thing going on, like how HGSS felt different from GSC, but you couldn't really say that one's better than the other. totally down with that for these as well.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I agree, I was searching for old games the other day, but I only found Pearl, which I don't want to restart. I felt so nostalgic flipping through my PC boxes I just couldn't start over.

I replayed RBY and GSC on the virtual console, but it just wasn't the same as when I was a kid. I'd rather not replay DPPt then. The remakes may make Sinnoh more accessible, but it likely won't recapture the same feelings I had when I played the originals over a decade ago. It was a wonderful feeling to be able to trade with players across the world for the first time and share my passion for Pokémon.

pkmin3033

I'm considering it, although I know if I do I probably won't want to play the remakes, or I'll lose interest part of the way through. I just don't find Pokemon games to be all that replayable, they're very much a one and done deal for me usually no matter how much I enjoy that first time.

But yes, Gen IV remains the best gen, and I will be very surprised if the remakes can measure up to the nostalgia.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 29, 2021
Can I restart Platinum without loosing the Rotom event? That event is kind of a rare one that I think I have to keep for historic reasons (Rotom-A is REALLY important to the gen 4 competitive metagame), unless there is a way to replicate the event easily I am missing?

Years
Can I restart Platinum without loosing the Rotom event? That event is kind of a rare one that I think I have to keep for historic reasons (Rotom-A is REALLY important to the gen 4 competitive metagame), unless there is a way to replicate the event easily I am missing?

You will lose all events when you restart the game. Gen 4 Wi-Fi Mystery Gift events are a one-time thing that you receive then when it happens.

However, some people have set up servers that make the Wi-Fi Connection for Gen 4 and 5 games work again, and there are I think ways of getting past events with that. See more about that in this thread.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I played through Platinum less than a year ago, so I've already been through Sinnoh fairly recently. If I replayed either Platinum or Pearl again before the remakes came out, I'd probably get bored of going through the same region again while playing the remakes.

Years
Getting the urge now that I've been participating in the Baton Pass event for the Get-Together, so I remembered this thread. About to sign up for a monocolor Platinum run. :D

Years
was playing platinum with a friend until we both got stuck somewhere around candice's gym for life reasons. :c haven't really picked it up since then, bc we try to make similar progress throughout our playthrough and not leave the other person behind too much.

honestly though... i dont think our plat playthrough is going to go anywhere since it's been a couple of months (more than that, actually), and im thinking of just restarting it at some point, maybe.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I actually played Platinum for the first time this year and don't see the need to replay it anytime soon; or at all, tbh. I don't have the nostalgia for it so all that remains for me is the gen 4 jank.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I replayed Platinum maybe a month or two ago, still enjoyable, but I always find it to be a bit of a drag once you get to Sunyshore. Having played it recently I think the remakes could use the addition of more Pokemon and revamped underground/base features

Years
It is still the only region I have never made it through! I have played Platinum within the last couple of months but, for some reason, Sinnoh has never been able to keep my attention.

Back