• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Kanto vs. Hoenn Poll #2 - Starter Trio!

Which Trio?

• Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Charmander

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mudkip, Treecko, Torchic

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
In this poll, this is going to focus on the comparison on the starters in Kanto & Hoenn: Squirtle, Charmander, and Squirtle from Kanto, and Torchic, Treecko, and Mudkip from Hoenn.

Before you first get your starter pokemon in Pokemon LeafGreen/FireRed, you'd have to go up towards the grass, where Professor Oak will stop you, and lead you to his lab. There he'll tell you about the pokedex, but in order to complete it, you'll need your pokemon! And on this choice, you'll get the choice between:

Squirtle & family
7.png
l16.png
8.png
l36.png
9.png

Charmander & family
4.png
l16.png
5.png
l36.png
6.png

Bulbasaur & family
1.png
l16.png
2.png
l32.png
3.png

When you first arrive in Littleroot Town, after a couple of instances, you'll eventually see Professor Birch being chased by either a Zigzgoon or Poocheyna. Once you do, Birch calls you to check his bag and select from a range of three Poké Balls, so that you would be able to fight the Pokémon off and rescue him. These Poké Balls contain the starter Pokémon if Hoenn, which would be Treecko, Mudkip, and Torchic:

Torchic & family
255.png
l16.png
256.png
l36.png
257.png

Mudkip & family
258.png
l16.png
259.png
l36.png
260.png

Treecko & family
252.png
l16.png
253.png
l36.png
254.png

So! Now it's time for the Poll; Which trio of starters (Kanto or Hoenn) do you prefer? Why?
Feel free to share your thoughts. :3

Years
This was a surprisingly easy choice to make, I'm going with the Kanto starters. First of all, the starters themselves appeal more to me. Their design is so much nicer than the Hoenn starters plus they look more adorable. The next stage along the evolution line isn't much of a contributing factor here, but again, I'd edge towards the ones from Kanto over the ones from Hoenn. The Kanto mid-stage Pokemon retain their cuteness but then there's also that added aggression about them, whereas the Hoenn Pokemon look dull in colour and don't look too fearsome or cute. Onto the final stage, in terms of battling, overall I'd say they are pretty even, probably the strongest starters of all the Pokemon games. But then when it comes down to design, again the Kanto starters win. There's just something about them that catches the eye.

Espurr_Kawaii

Pokemon Trainer Coordinator
Years
Hoenn starters! Bcoz this is my first adventure in region and this is my first ive play when im child XD . Its graphics is so nice and the sprites also looking good ^_^ . Btw the pokemon contest too :3

Last edited:

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I prefer the Hoenn starters. They are all really cute and badass. Plus I also have a lot of fond memories with these starters. Especially since I actually really like all 3 of them.

blue

gucci
Years
Hoenn Starters are amongst my favourite of all, the Kanto Starters are somewhat overrated IMO. I actually really like all three evolutionary stages of the Hoenn starters.

Years
I voted for Hoenn's starters as well. I like their designs better than Kanto's plus they all have really powerful Megas and unique traits going with them. Also, Kanto's starters are all reptilian and that's not much in the way of diversity.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Hoenn always theyre my all time fav with torchic and Marshtomp and it turns out sceptile is one of the best starters as well. I never really loved bulbasaur or squirtle and really Charizard is overused so this is an easy decision really kanto starters are my least favorite :p

Years
It's hard to vote for this cos both are overflown by nostalgia. Hoenns tarters are the first ones I played with, while the Kanto Starters are the first ones I've been introduced to. I'll go with Kanto though, just cos Nostalgia is stronger. (Honestly they are also tied design/usefulness - wise).

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Personally I do prefer the Kanto Starters. :3

I remember for my first run-through of pokemon Blue, I've picked Squirtle. it was because it was a really simple, yet pretty cool pokemon! It was very handy as a water type and it fit well with the team that I was planning at the time - Vileplume, Clefable, Alakazam, etc. I dunno, it's simple design appealed to me, which, while Charmander and Bulbasaur was also really cool, Squirtle just held something pretty dear to me~!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Hoenn starters! Even though I grew up with the Kanto starters, I feel as if the Hoenn starters and their evolutions have better designs. I love them. The Kanto starters are also well designed, but I dont know, I love the Hoenn designs a lot better haha.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I am suprised that (for now) Hoenn trio is winning! I thought the Kanto Trio was the favorite starter trio.
For me it is the Kanto here, but it is not my favorite trio of all generations. I think Hoenn might be in my least favorite trio.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Hm… this is an amazingly tough poll. Would it be all right if I had said I'm a fan of both? I'll explain.

When it comes to design, I believe I'm slightly more fond of Kanto starters—Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur—as they, at least in my eyes, seem to be quite natural. If Pokémon had existed in real life, I feel these three are great examples of how they would look.

In terms of battling, however, I would have to say Hoenn starters. Blaziken seem to have great offensive stats, as well as access to some good moves to take advantage of it all. Swampert's a wall, and could stall opponents for decent amount of time. As for Sceptile, it's rather speedy, and has capacity to outrun almost any opposing Pokémon. In competitive scene, who wouldn't like them? Haha.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Wow this is an extremely hard poll as I have love for the originals, but at the same time I think the Hoenn starters were one of the best batches. I almost want to say tie, but I think the Kanto starters win by a slight margin. It's only because I really do not like Swampert whereas I like each of the Kanto starters in some way. I have the best starter memories with Blaziken though.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2018
Hoenn's starters are the better group. Whilst their second forms (Grovyle exempt) are absolutely disgusting, the first and final stages are infinitely better than what we were offered in Kanto. Sure, Charizard looks great but consider the other two. Squirtle and Charmander might be totally adorable but Bulbasaur is...a little weird, to say the least. Hoenn had wonderful first and final forms, probably to make up for the awful middle, and they're the best overall batch to date. They may not have the single best Pokémon - but they certainly win in their overall, combined good-ness.

Years
I voted for the Kanto starters because I personally feel that Blastoise alone is better than all of the Hoenn starters.

Years
No contest for me, the original starters are so much better in design. The only evolution I dislike in the original three is Blastoise. The only evelotion I like in the other three is Treecko's first evolution.

Years
While I adore Hoenn as a region it still had one of my least favorite sets of starters, next to Sinnoh. Sceptile and Grovyle are awesome but I never did like Treecko itself too much, nor the entire Mudkip line.. and Torchic's evolutions were just blegh haha. Whereas Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle were all insanely cute with pretty awesome evolutions bar Charizard. I loove Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Wartortle especially. Cutes!

Back