blue

gucci

Male
United Kingdom
Seen August 12th, 2019
Posted August 7th, 2019
21,060 posts
12.6 Years
Sinnoh/Kanto remake or gen 8 then if it is a mainseries game. I can't see them starting on a new console with a remake so we'll probably get a new generation starting on the Switch which means gen 7 will only be around two years long assuming this game does get released at the tail end of 2018. Though it's probably more likely that it'll be a 2019 release.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool

Female
United States
Seen March 1st, 2018
Posted February 4th, 2018
192 posts
4.1 Years
I'm fine with this, as long as they give people time to pick up the Switch. I personally won't have the money for a while, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's dirt broke. Give everyone a few years to enjoy Sun & Moon/US & UM and let them pick up a Switch in that time. Cool.

I am worried though. Some people may not buy a new console just for their pokemon games. They may lose business due to this, and a lot of sales. This could be a bad idea on a marketing standpoint. "Oh, you have the 3DS to play your favorite franchise? Well time to buy a Switch too!" I am sure this will get a backlash when it comes out.
I've never held a Switch in person, but if I may ask, how portable is it? Can you stick it in your bag? How quick does the battery drain? If it's not too much of a battery hog and you can put it in a small bag, I'd say it's fine.

Dawn

Sapphire Star

Age 30
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 14 Hours Ago
11,968 posts
5.8 Years
I am bitterly disappointed and utterly disgusted with Nintendo for this. So much for supporting the 3DS alongside the Switch. They may as well have announced they're discontinuing production of it next year right now. Without core Pokemon titles it's a dead machine. Nothing they or anyone else can make will ship as many units to make up for the loss of that.

We can say goodbye to annual Pokemon games with this too, because it will take them a lot longer than a year to make a new game. I suppose Nintendo's allergy to money is spreading beyond their muk handling of their Virtual Console to include their annual releases now too.

I knew this was coming, but I'm still annoyed. I suppose that puts me in the minority, but the Switch is not a viable replacement for a dedicated handheld system and I can't see it improving Pokemon as a franchise in any way.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan

Male
England
Seen December 13th, 2019
Posted September 11th, 2018
501 posts
4.2 Years
I'm calling Generation 8 in 2018. It was 100% bound to happen as soon as we found USUM would be 3DS. Confirmation is nice though.

I am bitterly disappointed and utterly disgusted with Nintendo for this. So much for supporting the 3DS alongside the Switch. They may as well have announced they're discontinuing production of it next year right now. Without core Pokemon titles it's a dead machine.
The fact that you personally feel a lack of Pokemon makes the 3DS a dead machine doesn't mean they somehow lied about supporting the 3DS. They're still supporting the 3DS, what you're saying is "this support isn't good enough for me". There is no duplicity.

Also, the fact that you think they're somehow hurting their own profits by releasing on the Switch beggars belief.
Click here to feed my PokéFarm Q Pokémon!

Drew

Rose Toss

Male
Kansas, USA
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
I'm fine with this, as long as they give people time to pick up the Switch. I personally won't have the money for a while, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's dirt broke. Give everyone a few years to enjoy Sun & Moon/US & UM and let them pick up a Switch in that time. Cool.

I am worried though. Some people may not buy a new console just for their pokemon games. They may lose business due to this, and a lot of sales. This could be a bad idea on a marketing standpoint. "Oh, you have the 3DS to play your favorite franchise? Well time to buy a Switch too!" I am sure this will get a backlash when it comes out.
I've never held a Switch in person, but if I may ask, how portable is it? Can you stick it in your bag? How quick does the battery drain? If it's not too much of a battery hog and you can put it in a small bag, I'd say it's fine.
This.

This x1000.

If they give us a couple of years to be able to afford the system, that would be nice. Because if PokeSwitch releases too quickly, you bet your ass I can see only a small amount of prior Switch owners picking it up upon launch. Most of the people that I talk to can't afford a Switch right now, and won't for a while. Myself, I'd like to keep playing Pokemon, but if the Switch hits us with the new games too quickly, I might just not bother. Gonna have to live with my US/UM until I stop playing it and call it quits for awhile.

Money issues aside, I do like the concept for the Switch, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Pokemon goes with the new games!

"It's something like a gift".
paired to Palamon

clbgolden

Swampert Fan

Male
Seen September 22nd, 2019
Posted July 9th, 2019
639 posts
5.7 Years
I am bitterly disappointed and utterly disgusted with Nintendo for this. So much for supporting the 3DS alongside the Switch. They may as well have announced they're discontinuing production of it next year right now. Without core Pokemon titles it's a dead machine. Nothing they or anyone else can make will ship as many units to make up for the loss of that.
... Are you seriously saying that only Pokmon can sell the 3DS? Really?

Regardless, the 3DS dying was pretty obvious. The system is already six years old, and Sun and Moon was already pushing the system to its limits. Not to mention, GF probably made this decision, not Nintendo.

We can say goodbye to annual Pokemon games with this too, because it will take them a lot longer than a year to make a new game. I suppose Nintendo's allergy to money is spreading beyond their **** handling of their Virtual Console to include their annual releases now too.
Allergy to money? What? If anything this will make them a ton. Sure, no annual releases, but I can't imagine they'd be losing that much just because the games would be released every other year.

and I can't see it improving Pokemon as a franchise in any way.
Bigger regions? More Pokmon? HD textures?
Swampert FTW!

Nah

Age 27
Female
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
14,233 posts
6.7 Years
There's a chance that it's not actually going to be a main series title, literally all we know is that Game Freak is working on a Pokemon game for the Switch, nothing more. It's likely a small chance though, a main series game seems more likely at the moment.

The 3DS was going to die eventually, like its predecessors, as have every old console in a line of them. Honestly I think that Nintendo's talk about supporting the 3DS/having it co-exist alongside the Switch was, while maybe partially true, largely just talk. When I look at the Switch, I see a console-handheld hybrid, and I think that this will be the norm for Nintendo from now on. Why make or continue to support a separate handheld system when you have something that basically does both?

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon

Female
Celadon Gym
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted June 24th, 2020
Am I pleased Pokemon is coming out on the switch? Yes and No.

Yes because it will mean better graphics and in theory bigger games with more content.

No because of the fact I am not buying a Switch solely for one game. I simply do not have the money to do that. There is nothing on the Switch I personally want to play enough to buy a Switch for. A 3DS is significantly cheaper than a Switch and I can see some leaving the series if they (or their family) being unable to afford getting a Switch if they haven't already especially if they already have another Home Console like a PS4 or like me an Xbox One.

I'll still follow the Pokemon series. White 2 is still one of my favourite games and I play it a lot but even if the Switch games end up being the best in the series I'm unlikely to play due to being unable to justify buying a Switch for one game.
Currently playing - Omega Ruby Grass Monotype

Palamon

Has sent out Pikachu!

Age 23
Male
Milaturia.
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 5 Hours Ago
5,935 posts
11.5 Years
I was really upset about this, but once I heard the game won't be out this year my anger calmed down.

If this truly is generation 8 being put on Pokemon Switch, I really can't see sales doing too awesome. I really hope it's just another one of those Pokemon Stadium RPGs that way I don't feel super anxious to buy a Nintendo Switch.
Theme: Osamu Dazai (Bungo to Alchemist)
Pair: Drew

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan

Male
England
Seen December 13th, 2019
Posted September 11th, 2018
501 posts
4.2 Years
If this truly is generation 8 being put on Pokemon Switch, I really can't see sales doing too awesome. I really hope it's just another one of those Pokemon Stadium RPGs that way I don't feel super anxious to buy a Nintendo Switch.
Nah. I think pretty much everyone with a Switch would buy this, similar to BotW. And BotW sold very well. Not to mention that the game itself will be enough for others to buy the Switch.
Click here to feed my PokéFarm Q Pokémon!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Age 26
Male
Oregon
Seen September 24th, 2018
Posted July 3rd, 2018
17,521 posts
10.3 Years
There's a chance that it's not actually going to be a main series title, literally all we know is that Game Freak is working on a Pokemon game for the Switch, nothing more. It's likely a small chance though, a main series game seems more likely at the moment.

The 3DS was going to die eventually, like its predecessors, as have every old console in a line of them. Honestly I think that Nintendo's talk about supporting the 3DS/having it co-exist alongside the Switch was, while maybe partially true, largely just talk. When I look at the Switch, I see a console-handheld hybrid, and I think that this will be the norm for Nintendo from now on. Why make or continue to support a separate handheld system when you have something that basically does both?

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Ishihara called it a 'core game' which is what GF tend to call 'main games'.

I plan to one day buy a Switch so I don't mind as much.
There's also the chance that Nintendo will release a cheaper handheld only version like how they made the 2DS. There were rumors of a handheld planned. Though irc that was the backup should the Switch flop... so they might not do it anymore.
I'm currently working on some novels. If you're interested you can read them here:
https://www.wattpad.com/user/ImperialSun

Xorn

Age 21
Female
Hyperspace
Online now
Posted 5 Hours Ago
7,412 posts
10.2 Years
Let's keep it chill guys. No need to get mad about this, it's not the end of the world. I'm pretty sure we all knew it would end up on the Switch eventually, so this isn't a surprise.

As for me I just kinda feel indifferent either way haha. I was probably getting a Switch for Pokken anyways, so it's not a big deal. I suppose if I enjoyed the 3D core Pokmon games as much as I do the older 2D ones I would probably be more enthusiastic, but I'm still curious to see what they can pull off with a new system - bigger regions and more Pokmon would be cool. Really hoping that if Gen 8 does begin with a DPPt remake on the switch, they use all that extra processing power to add a bunch of interesting nooks and crannies and hidden areas to Sinnoh, rather than just pasting the Gen 4 rendition into Gen 8. Exploring interesting hidden areas is a large factor in why I still play the Pokmon games.

Nah

Age 27
Female
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
14,233 posts
6.7 Years
Ishihara called it a 'core game' which is what GF tend to call 'main games'.
Oh, he did? This'll be interesting to see then.
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
Male
Over thar
Seen April 17th, 2020
Posted January 25th, 2018
1,479 posts
11.7 Years
Less concerned with what console it'll be on and more concerned with whether or not people will actually be able to find the thing. It'll get really messy really quick if this comes out and Nintendo is still only stocking two or three (if even that many) Switches per store every other month.

Also, there's nothing saying they can't make games for both the 3DS and the Switch. Not that that's likely, but it's not impossible either.

Age 26
Male
Oregon
Posted July 3rd, 2018
17,521 posts
10.3 Years
Less concerned with what console it'll be on and more concerned with whether or not people will actually be able to find the thing. It'll get really messy really quick if this comes out and Nintendo is still only stocking two or three (if even that many) Switches per store every other month.

Also, there's nothing saying they can't make games for both the 3DS and the Switch. Not that that's likely, but it's not impossible either.
Well Nintendo did announce that they'll be increasing production a few weeks back. So hopefully they'll figure out a good number of how many to produce to meet demand by the time it comes out.
I'm currently working on some novels. If you're interested you can read them here:

Hikamaru

Age 27
Female
Australia
Seen January 24th, 2019
Posted September 4th, 2018
50,232 posts
9.4 Years
There's a chance this new Switch game could be 8th Gen, and if prices do drop low enough over time I may actually consider getting one. Especially since it's already gotten some good games like ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which have all proven to be hits with the console, so I'm sure this new Pokemon game will get the sales going for sure.
Gone forever for personal reasons.
Visit my Tumblr page if you wish to contact me.

http://daikenkki.tumblr.com/

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'

Male
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
148 posts
11.2 Years
For the record, I'm perfectly happy with the main franchise moving to the switch, so that definitely is not an issue for me as it appears to be for many.

I will say though, I thought it would have been....interesting, if they entertained the idea of moving the franchise to the forefront of their mobile division. Which, I know seems like a ridiculous idea upon first glance. But smartphones are getting stronger and stronger, and the average one is actually a little bit stronger than the 3ds in fact. And combine that with the insane phenomenon that was Pokmon Go, there's actual precedent there for people being interested.

Idk, it would be a huge risk, which is basically the opposite of what gamefreak likes to do. But I can't think of a better platform for a game based on person to person connectivity than a phone.

Demo coming August 20!

Age 26
Male
Oregon
Posted July 3rd, 2018
17,521 posts
10.3 Years
Can anyone really be surprised that Pokemon is making a move to the Switch? I don't quite understand the outrage at all...

For the most part, I get it that people think affording the Switch just for one Pokemon title would be excessive expensive. But, if launch trends continue the way it has, I expect the next Pokemon game to be release roughly around November 2018. It's not like it's going to be later this year, it's late next year. This isn't also considering other titles that might be coming to the switch between USUM and late 2018 that might convince people on the fence to perhaps buy a Switch anyway. I'd argue your average person has plenty of time to decide whether or not to buy a Switch by the time by next year when the Switch should have plenty of games added to its library. This is the reality of things; the Switch will be Nintendo's main console right after Gen VII has served its course. That's what's been happening every other generation and I'm not sure why it's such a shock to people that it's happening again.

Personally, after giving it some thought, I'm more than pleased that we're probably getting a main series game on the Switch! This most likely means more content and features that weren't able to be included in the 3DS carts due to hardware limitations. Maybe Game Freak will have more freedom to make a more polished Pokemon game on the Switch than they ever have when they were restricted to just handhelds. Who knows?
The outrage is hilarious if you consider how there was outrage about U-SM being 3DS games instead of Switch games... *sigh* this Fandom is as split as ever...

Lunar

Age 21
Male
England
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 13 Hours Ago
3,861 posts
6.2 Years
Yeah they said it might not come out for a couple of years so I expect it'll be the first game of Generation 8, really don't see them continuing Gen 7 on the Switch, makes sense to start a new Gen on a new console.

Alex

what will it be next?

Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted May 22nd, 2020
6,328 posts
13.6 Years
I'm pretty happy about this for the Switch fans. I'm still not sure if I'll buy a Switch, but a Pokemon game for it would definitely be a big reason to do so. I'm the type of Nintendo fan that only really goes for Pokemon core games. I bought a DS Lite for Diamond, a used 2DS for ORAS, and bought a new 3DS for S/M. If anything's gonna make me buy a Switch, it's Pokemon.

It does puzzle me a bit, since Pokemon has traditionally been a handheld console game. I get that the Switch is blurring the line between couch-console and handheld, but to what end? Is Nintendo's ultimate goal to discontinue the 3DS and have the hybrid console be the standard? One can easily envision a Lite version of the Switch being made, that can't quite handle as much graphic intensity, but is much slimmer and lighter in form, to accommodate the hardcore handheld gamers.

Time will tell what Nintendo's plan is in regards to the 3DS line living alongside the Switch. The fact that they're releasing a core Pokemon game on Switch tells me they have long-lasting plans for the console and the "hybrid" direction itself.