• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] Now the hype has died down, what are your thoughts on this game?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • I've gotta say, this game has gone through quite a fair bit. When it was revealed it was met with quite a lot of backlash with people criticising how we're going to Kanto and the GO-style mechanics being forced upon us. Then demos came out, and the overall reception became more amicable, and now this is where we're at now. It's kinda a mix between the backlash from before and the love for this game, now that the hype has considerably died down.

What are your thoughts on Let's Go at this point, now the hype has died?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I've only played this game a few times over at a friend's house but I'd have to say its the perfect beginner game for those looking to enter the series and especially for those who got their start on Pokemon GO. For veterans such as myself or my friend(who had Blue and Gold version growing up), the game was roughly what we had expected, if not a bit of a disappointment. Being the first game on the Switch, we thought they would have gone the extra mile with regards to making a game that rivaled that of say Gold/Silver. In other words, a game that starts in Kanto and ends in Johto. Granted the game was modeled after Yellow version but a reverse Gold/Silver would have been a welcomed sight. Not only would it basically be two games in one, it would have required Generation 2-4 Evolutions of Kanto Pokemon while also adding in the Johto Pokedex and therefore not needing any of the Alolan variants(which I believe were purposely added in Generation VII with this game in mind since Kanto lacks Dark Types). I'd even include Glaceon, Leafeon and Sylveon for Eevee and allow your partner to be evolved provided you traded them first(like in Yellow).

I also thought that rather than rehashing Yellow OST that they could have tried to make a statement by giving Kanto a unique Rival theme with Blue being a secondary NPC(instead of taking Blue's iconic theme and giving it to that "friendly" rival). An Elite Four theme also would have been in the cards if I were behind this game. Plus if you're going to add Red into the game, at the very least give him his theme. Instead we got a typical trainer theme? Any self-respecting player at bare minimum would call BS on that. Finally they opted to add Green into the game and she should have gotten a new and unique theme and yet she got nothing.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Mostly what I expected. Decent fun but lacking in postgame/side content, a bit disappointedly so really. Music is nice but no new tracks! Some moments are good but otherwise too samey! Looks nice and follow-me feature is good, but having stuff like the gen 6 attack animations and other lazy things included brings it down.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • As I have said in the past, it still is probably my most despised game. It is boring. It took me twice as long for me to beat the game because I just didn't want to play it. I haven't really played it since I got my only shiny in the game. After that I just stopped other than to get Meltan Candies. Now that I have Melmetal in Pokemon Go, I have completely stopped playing it. I usually play a pokemon game constantly for at least 6 months when it comes out, even after I beat it, but with this one, I haven't touched it in about a month and it is only 2 months old.

I love having wild pokemon in the overworld. But that is the only positive for me. The catching of pokemon just becomes extremely annoying after you have caught all the pokemon. I loved some of the anime, but for the most part, I just want the 7th Generation to end so we can move on. Out of all the generations, I feel that this one is probably the most disappointing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Now that I have beaten the main quest, after taking a good amount of time to assemble a team of Pokémon, I guess it would be good to put my thoughts on the games as a whole.

The nostalgia is certainly there, and it's nice to see Kanto done with 3D visuals, showing what the graphics could be like for the next games for the Switch in comparison to those of the 3DS. Jessie and James add a bit of flavor to the main quest. Secret techniques are a nice touch, so no need for HM slaves, which is a plus. Celadon's Game Corner is nothing more than part of the main story, with no mini-games to offer and no further reason to go back after your business with Giovanni the first time is concluded.

The bonus content, one which consists of one-on-one duels against the master trainers looks to be anything but worthy of my time. Even Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon at least had extra episodes which you could partake in after defeating the Elite Four, in addition to the Battle Tree if you felt like going on a marathon against CPU trainers as well as the battle legends that dwell within it for Battle Points.

The lack of wild battles, save for a select few makes it feel like nothing more than a glorified Safari Zone, and unless you're playing in handheld mode, swinging a joy-con or even the Poké Ball at certain Pokémon that like to jump about is nothing short of infuriating. To say nothing of the fact they can run on you if you take too long to have a ball that a wild Pokémon will actually stay in after throwing so many, including shinies to add to the annoyance.

One interesting thing I did like was the Awakening Values, and raising every stat by 200 with no real limit like there was with Effort Values.

I can see this pair of games as something indeed more for beginners accustomed to GO, so they may take baby steps toward the other games of this gen, or the upcoming generation VIII games which will be launching this year.

As a whole, these games are quite average, and after having played Let's Go, Eevee, not exactly the worst I have ever played, but definitely far from being the best.

Last edited:

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • I loved it more than I anticipated I would, especially as I've played Kanto to death already. I finished the story, completed my dex, and am currently shiny hunting every now and then (not all the time).

It actually got me back into Pokemon GO (which I'm still actively playing now)

Years
  • I've enjoyed this game way more than I thought I would, to be honest. I'm definitely glad about that though.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I enjoyed it more than I had considered it. I barely was interested in it when I first saw the news and updates about it, but after experiencing it, I think I'm pretty happy that I caved in and played through it all. It could of had a bit more content to it, overall it was a great game to kill some time with.

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Haven't quite finished it yet, but it is honestly such a fun game to play! I know initially people said it was too easy but I have personally found it still pretty challenging. You've gotta avoid a few trainers and not catch every Pokemon you encounter, then it can become a real challenge. I've lost to several gym leaders a couple times. My only complaint is not being able to turn of the exp share. It makes your party level up too quickly and can easily overpower your team if you don't know how to work around it. Besides that it's a fun game and while more basic and simple than most games and i wish it had more features, it's not at all an awful game.

Years
  • Quite like it! Very visually appealing and I got super attached to my partner Pikachu. I don't mind the difficulty level at all either personally, though I understand those who do. it's fun =)

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I was excited for it to come out but now two months later and Ihave yet to beat the game and that's pretty sad coming from me considering I will usually try and beat it with in the first week if not the first day or so it comes out. I really like that you can walk anywhere in the grass and not worry about a wild Pokemon battle if you don't want one.

Stumpy.

[b][i][color=#330033][font="Lobster Two]The Lone P
    Years
  • It's most definitely not the best in terms of a Pokémon game; however, there are a few things that stand out:

Firstly, this is essentially a Yellow remake, which in itself is bland, but they definitely did a great job showcasing what the Switch is capable of.
    I believe that they were testing the waters, seeing what all they could do with a Pokémon game on the Switch. I believe they've outdone themselves.
    Once Generation 8 comes around, I have no doubt that it is going to look beautiful and will try to implement positive features from Let's Go.

Although I hate the wonky catch mechanic, I do feel like I'm more engaged. The entire time I played through the game, I felt like I was actually journeying on my own adventure.
    I quite enjoyed this game, despite it's flaws, and I have recommended it to a few of my friends.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    I think Stumpy is on the money here and I agree that the game feels more it was made to showcase what the Switch could do. If I had to be honest though I didn't find playing it as enjoyable or addictive as I did the whole 5th to 7th generation series. The storyline is known and the game feels less predictive as you can see Pokémon you can encounter.

Though I may just be a harking old gen onner here; I think the game is great for kids wanting to get into the Pokémon franchise while also giving atleast nostalgia for older players.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It is super cute, but I think the only reason I want to head into Kanto these days is nostalgia. So this didn't hold my attention for very long, and I find Sun + Ultra Moon more entertaining. Pity! I also don't play Pokémon GO, but I can imagine those who do might find it a little bit more useful?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've ended up liking this way more than I thought I would. Trainers use a stronger variety so it makes the region better for me.

Years
  • After lurking for a few days, I actually signed up just to give my opinion on this subject.

My first impression was pretty negative, I saw an acquaintance of mine (who's not exactly a Pokemon genius) beat the first Gym without even trying too hard with an underleveled starter Eevee and a freshly-caught Bellsprout. I was convinced that this was going to be X/Y to the max - so unbelievably easy that you have to go miles out of your way to have anything remotely resembling a challenge. I was pretty sure then that I was just going to ignore the game.

Then I read some reviews and opinions online, and everyone was weirdly positive about the game. It was way more interesting and challenging than they had thought it would be, especially if you go for Pikachu instead of the OP Eevee. So I bought the game (Pikachu) anyway and I started playing. Although the first three Gyms were annoyingly easy - the first time I even used a Pokemon Center was in Lavender Town - the challenge quickly picked up from the Rock Tunnel onward. I never lost a battle, but I have been glad not to be running a Nuzlocke a couple of times, coming pretty close to a wipeout on several occasions. The fact that battles kind of play a second fiddle to catching Pokemon was a bit weird at first, but it sort of worked, at least for a change. In the end I beat the league, captured Mewtwo, filled the Dex (except for Mew, Meltan/Melmetal and the trade evolutions - the version exclusives came from PoGo), and that was that. Game over. I couldn't be bothered to do the Master trainers thing anymore.

In the end, I had a moderately fun time playing the game, but it left me extremely unfulfilled and hungry for an actually good Pokemon game with an actual postgame. The most baffling thing about LGP/E is that it's a game that is strictly inferior to the 14 year older FR/LG in every possible way except for graphics. FR/LG have the same region with the same Pokemon, but you get extra areas (Sevii Islands) with sidequests and new Pokemon, a better upgrade to the League, and there's the Trainer Tower (which is no Battle Frontier but still cooler than the Master trainers). It's also a bit more challenging and has a better battle system - LGP/E is focused only on direct damage, stat-ups, and status moves. That's it. There's just not a lot of strategical depth, even in the metagame, and so many moves are just completely missing from the game, as well as held items and abilities.

All in all, it's not the worst Pokemon game out there - X/Y still maintain that title - but it's close, and I really hope Gen 8 will change things for the better again.

Edit: There's one thing I forgot: LGP/E did succeed in rekindling my interest in Pokemon Go. That's at least something positive about it. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Base FR/LG I wouldn't say are that superior, as remakes they were quite lackluster except for the Sevii islands. But any quality FR/LG romhacks are definitely better barring graphics.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I've just made it to Cerulean City in Let's Go Eevee.

My biggest criticism is that I'm not big a fan of the Go/Safari style wild encounters.
    Though I understand the desire to showcase the Switch's capabilities, the simple, minimalist system while appropriate for GO due to its requirement of constant movement around the real world, doesn't translate with as much substance to console.

I feel it's handicapping that training one's party consumes currency and resources and requires capturing Pokemon you don't want even with being able to trade Pokemon to Oak for essentially unlimited stat boosting items.
    Additionally, it's impossible to focus on just one Pokemon for those like myself who like to maintain evenly leveled parties and/or need to catch a new Pokemon up.

A lot of the experience and challenge is also lost such as the stress of being in the middle of a route or a cave with a low HP team and no potions, being unable to escape a wild Pokemon and accidentally fainting a wild Pokemon you want to capture. The higher rate of a Pokemon escaping a ball DOES NOT adequately compensate for this.

With the original Gen 1 starters making such rare appearances in the wild, I'm also missing the PokeRadar in ASOR.

There is, however, some things to like about the game.

I do find it more engaging that we now see the Pokemon in the grass and the opposing trainer in trainer battles and actually appreciate another thing taken from GO, the traveling Pokemon box, how it eliminates the need for a Pokemon center to change one's party.

The graphics are beautiful and I applaud the slightly new angle to an at this point redundant plot. That although we're back in the first generation, we have a new exclusive starter (Eevee) and the starring trainers are a new first generation apart from Red and Blue and that Red and Blue are actually an older generation that pre-dated the PokeDex per Blue's comment about having to map out his encounters by hand. As the first mention in the series of what it was like for trainers pre-Pokedex, I found that intriguing. It was also a pleasant surprise to see that Blue has gotten a bit nicer.

My one story grievance is that Team Rocket's Meowth doesn't have human dialogue so far, WTF?

The Partner Pokemon concept is adorable. It sucks that they're shiny locked but I'm also kinda grateful to not have to do the shit load of soft resets getting a shiny starter requires that I am STILL doing in Moon after a period of time I am a bit embarrassed to admit.
    Being able to have another Pokemon follow you in addition to the partner Pokemon riding topside, is awesome.

I'm also liking the idea of the coach and master trainers despite only have experience with one coach trainer thus far.

I'm glad to see Trainer customization back but wish it had the freedom of the X and Y customization systems vs. having to obtain all available outfits from certain NPCs like the fishing rods.

All in all, apart from missing wild battles, I find this game a worthwhile investment and will be getting Pikachu in the future, like if Switch game prices ever reduce. I only managed to get Eevee as an exchange for a duplicate Spyro Reignited Trilogy from Christmas.

Last edited:

probablyhylian

illusion is mine
    Years
  • Found it laughably easy but overall I ended up enjoying the simplicity that it offered. I highly doubt I'll ever touch it again after Gen 8 releases but it was definitely a good way to kill time for the past week or so... currently unsure if I care enough to clean up the rest of the post-game content.

Back