• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books 2021 Reading Challenge

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
  • [2/35]

I finished The Call of the Wild by Jack London a couple of days ago! This is the type of prose that grips me the entire way through. It's raw yet eloquent, haunting, mysterious, and where many writers fail to portray an animal's perspective of the world in a wild, animalistic manner, London writes in such a way that you almost become Buck, the protagonist of the story. He feels so real.

There is little dialogue in this story, and I actually enjoyed that. The humans that do have a role are well-written and you can tell that London's own adventures in the Yukon are what made his stories come to life. I loved John Thornton the most of the human characters, it was tragic the way things ended. The exploitation and abuse of animals is prominent in this book, as it is in others like Black Beauty, and the dog fights are fiercely savage. If you're rather faint-hearted like me these moments will leave you feeling pretty melancholy.

But what an adventure!

I would rate this book a 9/10!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    So, I just finished rereading the Heroes of Olympus series, a.k.a Percy Jackson 2. Once again, I'm counting rereads as "half-books" for the purposes of this challenge.

[5 / 25] Heroes of Olympus
    Spoiler:

Now onwards to the Trials of Apollo, and finish the Percy Jackson series as published so far.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Since last update:

Comics: Iba Caminando (Superlópez), a normal adventure from our local superhero; Primavera para Madrid, a take of a corruption scandal that shook Spain and took down our previous government.

Books: How To, by Randall Munroe. xkcd author explaining how to do normal things like walking and playing football in the most convoluted ways possible. Also teaching you about leap seconds.

Ivysaur

Years
  • It's been a busy week!

Books: Swearing is good for you, by Emma Byrne. A pretty interesting analysis about the science behind dirty language.

Comics: Pafman en USA, El Libro de Oro de Mortadelo y Filemón, tomo 2.

Ivysaur

Years
  • Another plentiful week

Books: Retro Game Super Translation Selection, a collection of interesting localisation choices in 8- and 16-bit era games.

Comics: Auf in den Kampf, Torero! (dipping my toes into the German localisation of my favourite series!), and two Spirou ones, La tumba de los Champignac and Un botones en Sniper Alley.

That makes 14 entries so far. I'm now starting a big book that Kidle says may take me some 10 hours to read, so my pace will probably slow down a bit...

Years
  • I wanna join the reading contest! Do online e-books "freely" translated count? If they do i recommend "the earth is online" to everyone.

Ivysaur

Years
  • I'm now starting a big book that Kidle says may take me some 10 hours to read, so my pace will probably slow down a bit...

I lied.

Okay, okay, I did not finish that book yet, I'm pretty far actually. I'm close to finishing another one of anecdotes about my city though. But what I didn't expect myself to do is to start re-reading the entire Spirou collection, one issue per night, just because. Finished six so far (not counting two because they are compilations of poor, old short stories).

That makes 22 entries. In, um 42 days.

baire

many such cases
    Years
  • I'm a bit late, but I'd like to join this challenge. I started the year quite well, but my reading pace seems to have really slowed down, I think I'll aim for 10 books

currently: 4/10

read
    Spoiler:

currently reading
    Spoiler:

want to read later
    Spoiler:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    So, they're technically not books but fanfiction. But, since they're an AU that makes a lot of expansions to the original setting, book length and really really good, I'm making the executive decision to count them as books.

Since they're all technically rereads (even if I just finished reading the fourth book yesterday for the first time), I'll once again count them for half-points.

[7/25] The Rigel Black Series: The Pureblood Pretense, The Serpentine Subterfuge, The Ambiguous Artifice and The Futile Façade
    Spoiler:

I dropped Trials of Apolo because that book makes me ridiculously angry at the writer. Maybe I'll actually get past chapter 3 and write a proper review here, but I don't know. Might look into Mistborn or ASOIAF, I guess?

Ivysaur

Years
  • Update: three more comics (Spirou 9, 10 and 55, which I adored) and one book, Disparates de la historia de Madrid.

That makes 26 entries and more than 1/4 of my goal. Not bad for 53 days.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Well I haven't finished anything but I'm reading Sapiens: A Brief History Of Humankind by Yuval Novah Harrari.

Got to learn a lot of stuff about hoomans, and is really interesting. Things that led to us being the only human species alive, how our behaviour affected our evolution... if you're interested in this, I definitely recommend it.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I dropped Trials of Apolo because that book makes me ridiculously angry at the writer. Maybe I'll actually get past chapter 3 and write a proper review here, but I don't know. Might look into Mistborn or ASOIAF, I guess?
    What did you find ridiculous about Trials of Apollo? I read it when I was in ninth grade. I didn't get bored, but then again I wasn't even hooked, I just read it for the sake of reading it...and then never caught up with what happens next.

Also I've heard some good stuff about Mistborn.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    What did you find ridiculous about Trials of Apollo? I read it when I was in ninth grade. I didn't get bored, but then again I wasn't even hooked, I just read it for the sake of reading it...and then never caught up with what happens next.

It's not that I think it's ridiculous - or at least any more ridiculous than your average Percy Jackson story - it's that I really don't agree with the premise and it makes me way too angry to continue.

See, throughout the two first book series we see Apollo as a helpful character, but one that won't necessarily think things through and gets easily distracted by flattery or a shiny new thing in his interests (like a brand new musical instrument). Unlike a lot - and I do mean, a lot - of other characters that were outright hostile to the main characters or even actively fought for the other side in either of the two wars.

So casting down Apollo for the crime of ... flattering his grandson who had delusions of grandeur just feels ridiculously disproportionate and undeserving considering the amount of other gods that could use the whole arc of "getting cut down a peg, then fleshed out and then redeemed".

But I know the reason Rick went with Apollo instead of someone like say, Ares or the minor gods who defected to the Titans - being willing to cause a God x Titan war isn't cute - or the other gods who defected to the Giants. It's because there's a Greek myth in which Apollo is stripped of his godly powers - in fact Apollo mentions it himself in like the first and/or second chapter of the book.

So he wasn't thinking of this and thought he could just say "oh it's an unfair punishment" to contextualize things. But that isn't really any better, now is it?

The existence of a petty evil good is far from a comforting thought and somewhat undermines the story arc the author tried to convey in the last two series of "If the gods were nicer to each other, everybody would win." because guess what, it's been 10 books already and Zeus has yet to learn his lesson.

Not to mention that the punishment is worse than it used to be for no particular reason. Like, the first time it happened it was because Apollo thought Zeus was being a tyrant and staged a coup - he just became a laborer still having his general godliness (ichor in veins, being really really hot, etc.), except powerless - the second time, he killed one of Zeus' lightning smiths (in grief, but it doesn't really matter) and same thing.

But this time he became a normal teenager because ... I don't know, author convenience?

So yeah, this premise pissed me off a lot at Zeus, who's a giant asshole, at the author, who did my boy Apollo dirty for no reason, and at Zeus again because when looking up the times Apollo became human, I discovered he punished his sister / wife (who helmed the coup I mentioned earlier) by literally hanging her above the endless abyss from which nothing can ever escape and threatening to kill her by falling.

So yeah, it's just a giant waste of potential because there's a whole lot of other gods that could use the experience more, and then the chapters where they're disoriented and things are going badly would be so much more satisfying to read about.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • But I know the reason Rick went with Apollo instead of someone like say, Ares or the minor gods who defected to the Titans - being willing to cause a God x Titan war isn't cute - or the other gods who defected to the Giants. It's because there's a Greek myth in which Apollo is stripped of his godly powers - in fact Apollo mentions it himself in like the first and/or second chapter of the book.
    Wow okay, this makes a lot of sense. I totally forgot about Apollo being cast down upon before this.

It's not that I think it's ridiculous - or at least any more ridiculous than your average Percy Jackson story - it's that I really don't agree with the premise and it makes me way too angry to continue.

See, throughout the two first book series we see Apollo as a helpful character, but one that won't necessarily think things through and gets easily distracted by flattery or a shiny new thing in his interests (like a brand new musical instrument). Unlike a lot - and I do mean, a lot - of other characters that were outright hostile to the main characters or even actively fought for the other side in either of the two wars.
    OOOOOH alright. It's been a while so I had to read it again to understand everything. But thanks for taking time to explain what you felt. I might continue where I left off to get a better grasp then.

Years
  • What did you find ridiculous about Trials of Apollo? I read it when I was in ninth grade. I didn't get bored, but then again I wasn't even hooked, I just read it for the sake of reading it...and then never caught up with what happens next.

You 100% need to try out Mistborn. Absolutely incredible read for sure.

Ultra late to this but if I can, sign me up for 50 books please! I'll go through what I've already polished later today.

Years
  • I wanna join the reading contest! Do online e-books "freely" translated count? If they do i recommend "the earth is online" to everyone.

Yes, they do!! What goal would you like to set for yourself?
    Also, I think I updated the first post with everyone's current numbers. If not, I apologize. please try to include your current number of books read in your posts. (e.g. 3/5 completed)

Years
  • Ok time to post updated numbers (for when Tyler eventually updates the OP):

Stephen King - If it Bleeds
    Stephen King - Just After Sunset
    Stephen King - The Dead Zone
    Stephen King - The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    Brent Weeks - The Broken Eye
    Brent Weeks - The Blood Mirror
    Brent Weeks - The Burning White
    Afterlife of Archie
    Mira Grant - Feed

So that should be 9/50 so far!

Years
  • It took me a lot more time than I expected, since I was focusing on my other hobbies and school, but finished A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin, which put me on 1/30.

Short review:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Yo I'm super late to the party but I've been trying to read more books this year, mostly so I have something else to do besides read reddit before bed, can I still sign up?
    My goals 10 books and I'm a book and a half into it so far 😁

Back