• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: New Pokémon English name revealed: Magearna

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
m19-character-169.jpg

The name changes from "Magiana" to "Magearna".

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
Am I the only one liking the name? It's magic (so probably psychic or fairy) plus gears (so steel) and ana (in reference to its feminine look.) I LOVE IT AND I AM TOTALLY HYPED.

Years
I don't know if I like the English name as much as the Japanese, but it was obvious they had to have "gear" in there.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I believe the reason for "gear" added in its English name is because "gia" is how the Japanese pronounce "gear," much like how names with the letter L are pronounced with the letter R. Also, look at how excited Clemont is from seeing it.

Years
There'd probably be some form of soft 'g' as in 'magic' or 'mage' (which they apparently opted to place into its name), unless they really wished to specify that it has the word 'gear' in it now. Wonder if its ability is 'Leg-Spin.' Serena looks like they'd be pissed, they never have much luck with that, as it turns out. Maybe natural variation?

Also, look at how excited Clemont is from seeing it.
True. Poor Serena, though. She's only going to get her heart broken again.

Maybe May'd be down for slipping into this plot, though, then it could be about VineShipping pursuing AmourShipping, and perhaps relentlessly on their part.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Meh, I prefer Magiana to be honest. I really thought it's name was going to stick like Lucario/Zoroark.

Magearna doesn't really flow off the tongue as well.

blue

gucci
Years
I was initially was thinking it was Mage-arna to be linked to mage/magic, but then someone pointed out the breakdown of "gear" which makes more sense..

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I was initially was thinking it was Mage-arna to be linked to mage/magic, but then someone pointed out the breakdown of "gear" which makes more sense..

Someone says ouch. ;)

I still prefer Magi-ana... Ah well, the officials have decided already, we commoners have no say on it. Lol

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
It's basically the same name it has in Japan, just with a different spelling.
They probably just unified the words mage and gear in a pun. Not the first time they did that, iirc.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
It's basically the same name it has in Japan, just with a different spelling.

They probably just unified the words mage and gear in a pun. Not the first time they did that, iirc.

Goodra

Gooey+dragon also Good+dragon, the latter part is indicated by the Pokedex entry! (:

So yeah, double meaning. There are actually better examples but I couldn't recall them.

So Mage-arna or Ma-gear-na both work. (:

Game Freak, great job on hyping and creating discussions with that name, well played.

TheBaconToastie

Through the Sea of Time
Years
I saw someone say the name 'Magiana' looked a little like 'Mangina' and I couldn't take it seriously after that.

Magearna doesn't look bad I guess... I mean both names could be pronounced as Mah-gear-na anyway except the English version just spells it our for you.

cRaCkZ

Well...
Years
MAGEARNA

*Type Predictions:
-Steel/Fairy (most likely) STEEL because of gears and FAIRY because pink color and because it is newest type.
-Steel/Psychic because it looks magic and mysterious.
-Pure Steel. Maybe GF will surprise us
-Steel or Fairy/Poison (less likely) . Something unique and first poison legendary.

**Name
Magearna is a decent name for me, but i absolutely loved the old name Magiana

***Design
9/10 I like the design concept. An robotic artificial bunny is pretty cool.
THIS IS FIRST ARTIFICAL 'MON I REALLY LIKE.

****My opinion
Even is not released...
-Magearna get easily in my top 3 favorite legendary (After Shaymin and Darkrai)

*****Gen 6 Expansion/Gen 7 Leak
I can"t say anything certainly but I prefer to think is a Gen7 Leak.
I'm really hyped to see new set of 'mons because I'm bored of them all :)
Since Gen 1 games have opposed names (XY/BlackWhite) so if Margeana is the Artificial Pokemon could the names of Gen 7 games be something like Pokemon Artificial/Natural (I know there are not good names )
Magearna could be the mascot of one of them & the other mascot should be a Grass (maybe a Grass/Poison or why not Fire) because Grass is the most natural thing i know.

This theory is likely to be false because I think Mascots are released togheter :)

pkmin3033

It doesn't really roll off the tongue the same way "Magiana" does in my opinion, and it doesn't feel quite as...mystical~

BUT as far as names go, I think it's serviceable.

Back