• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: New Pokemon - Turtonator

Years
  • Read the Daily article here!

tumblr_oc44y4l4Fb1udqj3ko1_540.png

At Gamescom's livestream of Sun & Moon, we were showcased some Battle Royal stuff but we also got a reveal of the new Pokemon Turtonator! It's a Fire/Dragon-type, with the Shell Armor ability which blocks it from critical hits. It also has a signature move called Shell Trap, which sets a trap at the start of the turn it's used and if hit by a physical attack in that turn it will cause damage to the opponent.

English trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWLoyZESAc

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Cool new mon! Was hoping for more info than just one Pokemon but I am pleased. I can't wait to see more info about it :>

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • It sure looks cool! Its "mouth" reminds me of an anteater, but the rest of its body resembles a turtle IMO. Fire/Dragon type? Awesome ^^

EDIT: Thx for the English Trailer! The name it's the same then ... Looks like it has an exclusive move, which I didn't understand how it works :/

Years
  • Thanks for the edit and news tag Angie :3

Anyways, it's ability is Shell Armor. Nothing spectacular here.

Years
  • I don't get the Fire/Dragon typing (at least right now) but its new move Shell Trap is interesting since it sets up a Rough Skin-like effect if it's struck by a physical move (likely contact moves I assume?) which damages the opponent that attacks Turtonator in the turn Shell Trap was used.

Going to be interesting in competitive, especially with the likely high Defense stat that it'll get.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Some details on Shell Trap that seems to be a signature to Turtonator.
    Shell Trap is a move that only Turtonator is able to learn. With this move, the Pokémon can set a trap at the beginning of the turn, and if Turtonator is hit by an opponent's physical attack during that turn, Shell Trap triggers an explosion that will deal much greater damage to the opponent.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Expect Ash to use it on his team because always has a turtle on his team (with Tirtouga being the exception since it's a fossil Pokémon).

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Expect Ash to use it on his team because always has a turtle on his team (with Tirtouga being the exception since it's a fossil Pokémon).
    That seems like a kind of farfetched prediction. He didn't have a turtle in Johto when Shuckle was right there. And I don't think there's anything stopping him from using fossils.

Anyways, I think the Pokemon is cool.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • That seems like a kind of farfetched prediction. He didn't have a turtle in Johto when Shuckle was right there. And I don't think there's anything stopping him from using fossils.

Anyways, I think the Pokemon is cool.

Because Shuckle's not a turtle Pokémon?

I'm hoping that Turtonator is OU material due to being a Fire/Dragon type thus removing its Fairy weakness.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I have to say this before someone else makes the reference, "Don't you know that Gamera is friend of all children!?!"
    ("Gamera" was the first thing I thought of when I saw this new pokemon... Lol)

Edit: For those who don't know "Gamera", he was the "Godzilla" before "Godzilla" existed. The many films that Gamera was a part of were terrible but still quite humorous and mainly written for small children.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Not a big fan of the name...

And when I first saw this, my first thought was "is this Magmar's punk cousin?" Ah ha. Just because of the coloration and the shape of the head, really. Kinda "whatever" about this, but it's a turtle, so thumbs up for that.

Back