• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*A Freshly Scented Garden* Grass-type Club

Rain T.

"You clods!"
Years
  • If I pretended that I had access to every Grass type and Hidden Abilities, as well as all items, move tutors, and TMs/HMs of Gen. VI, my ideal team would be:

Pokemon 1: Abomasnow
    Ability: Snow Warning
    Nature: Hardy/Docile/Bashful/Quirky/Serious
    Moves: Blizzard/Ice Shard/Water Pulse/Seed Bomb
    Item: Abomasite

Pokemon 2: Serperior
    Ability: Contrary
    Nature: Modest
    Moves: Leaf Storm/Leech Seed/Swagger/Dragon Pulse
    Item: Big Root

Pokemon 3:
    Roserade
    Ability: Technician
    Nature: Bold
    Moves: Grassy Terrain/Toxic/Venoshock/Magical Leaf
    Item: Black Sludge or Poison Barb (whichever is found first in gameplay)

Pokemon 4:
    Breloom
    Ability: Effect Spore
    Nature: Careful
    Moves: Drain Punch/Seed Bomb/Rock Slide/Spore
    Item: Leftovers

Pokemon 5:
    Ludicolo
    Ability: Swift Swim or Rain Dish
    Moves: Rain Dance/Scald/Energy Ball/Zen Headbutt
    Item: Damp Rock

Pokemon 6:
    Gogoat
    Ability: Grass Pelt
    Moves: Horn Leech/Bulk Up/Rock Slide/Surf
    Item: Miracle Seed

Dendisan

Poké Breeder
    Years
  • CURRENT TOPIC: Grass Types and the Weather

What is your all time favourite Grass Starter?
    My pride and joy is the 6IV special sweeper Ludicolo I bred for my rain team, though it's not a starter, i treat it as my OG partner.
    Treeko would have to be my overall favourite grass type starter due to his secondary evolutions design and the part Grovyle played in Pkmn Mystery dungeon 2
    [Feely FEEELS]

Why is it so special to you?
    The Lotad came out shiny; can have friends confirm it as they were beside me when i started hyperventilating.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Your nickname:
    Dendi or Dandy.

- Your Grass-Type Club-Campaign Partner:
    Lotad

- Reason for joining the club:
    Monograss enthusiast since Gen 3.

Reactions: Sun

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Welcome to the Club!

Congratulations on hatching the Shiny Lotad. :)

Whilst I have never had the patience to try and hatch a Shiny, let alone a 6 IV one I have had the good fortune of finding two Shiny Lotads whilst DexNaving in Alpha Sapphire. The female is now a Shiny Dark Green hatted Ludicolo whilst the male is still a Lotad.

I am liking the varied answers to the Monograss teams so far. :)

My current Grass Monotype team (White, 4/8 badges)
    Spoiler:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

Do you think Grass Types being strongly affected by the weather is a good thing and have you ever used this to your advantage?

For the likes of Venusaur, Vileplume, Victreebel etc etc., the Chlorophyl Ability is a blessing for them and yes I've used them to my advantage! While the likes of Sunkern line and Tropius couldn't really make use of their weather-related abilities which is a shame!

Dendisan

Poké Breeder
    Years
  • Hey thanks, and grats or your DEXnaving 'Tads. :)

Personally i think Amoongus is incredible in the double battle format; not so sure about him in single battles, i'd use mine as an entry hazard monster that forces switches and stalls with Giga drain and whatnot.

But das'just'me ;)

My Monograss team on OR is as followed.

Luigi the Special Sweeper
    Modest Nature
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Item: Damp Rock
    6 IV's
    EV's: 252 SpAtk / 252 Sp / 4 HP
    Char: Takes plenty of siestas :^]

Ingame level: 100 (tbh they all are)

Shen of the Swords Dance
    Adamant Nature
    Ability: Pickpocket
    Item: Weakness Policy or Focus Sash, experimenting rn.
    5 IV's / No Sp Atk
    EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Sp / 4 HP
    Char: Alert to sounds

(Rip no Roserade sprite resource)
    Roserade the Toxic Hazard
    Calm Nature
    Ability: Technician
    Item: Focus Sash
    5 IV's / No Atk
    Ev's: 130 HP / 126 Def / 252 SP
    Char: Often dozes off

Balboa the boxing champion
    Jolly Nature
    Item: Weakness Policy
    5 IV's / No Sp Atk.
    Ev's: 252 Sp / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
    Char: Likes to fight

(Breeding this was a depressing experience lol)
    Shae the mega broken Sceptile.
    Adamant Nature
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Item: Sceptilite
    5 IV's / No Sp Atk.
    Ev's: 252 Atk / 252 Sp / 4 Hp
    Char: Impetuous and silly

Toric the TrOPius wild card
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Item: Choice Specs
    5 Iv's / No Atk.
    Ev's: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
    Char: Mischievous

Dendisan

Poké Breeder
    Years

Do you think Grass Types being strongly affected by the weather is a good thing and have you ever used this to your advantage?

All i can say is 150 power Weather Ball roserade (with technician) in a sunny day, never before have i seen such a power. ;A;

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
    Years
  • I'd actually like to redo my grass-type team selection, because I put more thought into it now. I kinda just threw my favorite grass-types together for the last one I made, and didn't really give any movesets or reasons for each Pokemon's inclusion. Here's my actual team:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Serious Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Brick Break

Exeggutor @ Lum Berry
    EVs: 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Light Screen
    - Psychic
    - Toxic

Shiftry @ Sitrus Berry
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Focus Blast
    - Foul Play
    - Hurricane
    - Fake Out

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
    Ability: Soundproof
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Rash Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Earthquake
    - Protect
    - Shadow Ball

Amoonguss @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Spore
    - Substitute

Ludicolo @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Rash Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Drain Punch
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

I'm aware that this team isn't as good as it could be, but I tried to balance it out as much as I could.

Also, kinda off topic, but I'd like to give a warm welcome to the new club members! I didn't see your messages before, so forgive me for being a bit late. If you ever need any help with something, feel free to ask.

-Tempest

DarkestMidnight

Years
  • This is really off topic, but I'm just wondering, do any of you watch Fairy Tail? I'm a huge fan of anime and manga, and I used to read the manga, but I just started watching the anime. It's a really fun series, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

Just so this isn't totally off topic, I also wanted to cover something else. Which grass-type ability is your favorite and why?

Personally, I prefer either Leaf Guard or Effect Spore due to their useful status effects. Leaf Guard allows a Pokemon to be immune to all status effects when in sunlight. Effect Spore allows a Pokemon to possibly poison, paralyze, or put an attacking Pokemon to sleep upon contact. Both of these are very nice defensive abilities and have many uses in competitive play.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on again, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this topic!

-Tempest

Dendisan

Poké Breeder
    Years
  • The soundtrack for Fairy Tail was gorgeous but the anime was so-n-so for me, as much as I love a good action anime {One Piece fan since i was like 5 years old and more recently Black Lagoon) it just didn't pace very well and I found the story thrashed about in the anime as it just failed to find an identity among the fantasy adventure giants, it's relatable to a lot of anime shows of it's genre and none in that, every arc adopted a different formula and that formula would feel inspired by it's neighbouring anime who did it or were doing it first. And i'm talking from one piece to naruto. Though the manga is something else entirely, beautiful. (btw, I stopped watching @ the sun village arc)

ON TOPIC

My favourite Ability is Overgrow surprisingly, the same way Blaze and Torrent get me for the other types, the clutch potential and epic feel when your grass type tanks a hit barely to return a solar beam.

Hot damn.

It's a shame Shiftry didn't get it, can imagine his white hair glowing gold as he clutches his focus sash and Super Saiyaans the sh** out of the opposition on the counter-attack.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I don't know fairy Tail...

My favorite ability ... hum that's a good question...
    The one that come in mind is Regenerator. Or effect spore. A.K.A Amoongus lol

DarkestMidnight

Years
  • The soundtrack for Fairy Tail was gorgeous but the anime was so-n-so for me, as much as I love a good action anime {One Piece fan since i was like 5 years old and more recently Black Lagoon) it just didn't pace very well and I found the story thrashed about in the anime as it just failed to find an identity among the fantasy adventure giants, it's relatable to a lot of anime shows of it's genre and none in that, every arc adopted a different formula and that formula would feel inspired by it's neighbouring anime who did it or were doing it first. And i'm talking from one piece to naruto. Though the manga is something else entirely, beautiful. (btw, I stopped watching @ the sun village arc)

ON TOPIC

My favourite Ability is Overgrow surprisingly, the same way Blaze and Torrent get me for the other types, the clutch potential and epic feel when your grass type tanks a hit barely to return a solar beam.

Hot damn.

It's a shame Shiftry didn't get it, can imagine his white hair glowing gold as he clutches his focus sash and Super Saiyaans the sh** out of the opposition on the counter-attack.

Nice! Yeah, I totally understand your point of view. We may have some differences, but as I always like to say, to each their own. I always hate being judged for what I love, so I don't ever do it to others (this isn't a diss to you, I'm not saying you did anything of the sort). As to your favorite ability, I do like Overgrow a lot as well, it's really useful.

Also, I don't think we've talked before, so I'd like to say I'm glad to meet you! :) If you need help with anything or want advice on some good animes to watch, feel free to ask me anytime.

-Tempest♥

Dendisan

Poké Breeder
    Years
  • Nice! Yeah, I totally understand your point of view. We may have some differences, but as I always like to say, to each their own. I always hate being judged for what I love, so I don't ever do it to others (this isn't a diss to you, I'm not saying you did anything of the sort). As to your favorite ability, I do like Overgrow a lot as well, it's really useful.

Also, I don't think we've talked before, so I'd like to say I'm glad to meet you! :) If you need help with anything or want advice on some good animes to watch, feel free to ask me anytime.

-Tempest♥

Each to their own indeed, good to meet you too dude. :-)

Taking a Hiatus from anime rn but i'll keep an eye out for your second opinion, cheers.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • I absolutely love Fairy Tail, and am completely caught up with the anime. I just gotta find the time to pick up with the manga, but high school keeps me really busy....

As for the topic, hmm... Not sure if it counts, but Mega Venusaur having Thick Fat is (in my opinion) somewhat of a godsend, as the ability results in Fire and Ice type attacks only doing half the damage, essentially making them no longer super effective.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I'm sorry but I have never seen Fairy Tale but I have heard good things about Sailor Moon which I plan to watch at some point.

Answer to Topic

Much as I think Own Tempo is a great ability on Lilligant, my favourite Grass Type Ability is Chlorophyll. Chlorophyll doubles the speed of several Pokémon under the sun. This helps alleviate the usually slow speed of some Grass Types such as Vileplume.

Whilst some Pokemon like Lilligant can increase their speed through other ways Chlorophyll is very helpful for Grass Types as Sunny Weather as other positive effects for Grass types.

DarkestMidnight

Years
  • I absolutely love Fairy Tail, and am completely caught up with the anime. I just gotta find the time to pick up with the manga, but high school keeps me really busy....

As for the topic, hmm... Not sure if it counts, but Mega Venusaur having Thick Fat is (in my opinion) somewhat of a godsend, as the ability results in Fire and Ice type attacks only doing half the damage, essentially making them no longer super effective.

Nice! I'm not completely done with the anime, but I'm getting close.

As to Thick Fat, I definitely agree. It's a very useful ability for grass-types, considering it does weaken fire and ice attacks.

DarkestMidnight

Years
  • I'm sorry but I have never seen Fairy Tale but I have heard good things about Sailor Moon which I plan to watch at some point.

Answer to Topic

Much as I think Own Tempo is a great ability on Lilligant, my favourite Grass Type Ability is Chlorophyll. Chlorophyll doubles the speed of several Pokémon under the sun. This helps alleviate the usually slow speed of some Grass Types such as Vileplume.

Whilst some Pokemon like Lilligant can increase their speed through other ways Chlorophyll is very helpful for Grass Types as Sunny Weather as other positive effects for Grass types.

For sure, I'd definitely recommend Fairy Tail. If you're into magic and a lot of adventure, I feel like Fairy Tail would be a good anime to watch.

Ah yeah, Chlorophyll is definitely one of the best grass-type abilities. I remember we talked about that a little bit when the topic was weather's effects on grass-types. Especially for slow grass-types, Chlorophyll can be a life-saver.

DarkestMidnight

Years
  • I know I've been doing a lot of topics lately, but I came up with a good one this time. I promise I'll stop for a little bit after this so other members can have a chance to create their own.

What is your favorite grass-type mega? Why? Are there any specific movesets you like for that particular Pokemon?

I tend to prefer Mega Abomasnow, because it's a physical tank that can learn ground, fire (hidden power), grass, and ice type moves. Overall, I feel that Mega Abomasnow covers a lot of bases and is very useful. Here's a moveset I came up with:

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Wood Hammer
    - Protect

Thanks again guys! Once again, I'm sorry for hogging the topics, I promise I'll take a break.

-Tempest

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • Mega Venusaur is my favorite, mostly due to its Thick Fat ability, which nulls the effectiveness of Fire and Ice, leaving it weak only to Flying and Psychic, as the Poison typing nulls Poison and Bug. A nice set of moves for Mega Venusaur would be Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Giga Drain, and Sludge Bomb. Or (for people like me who just prefer power/plain offense) Toxic, Venoshock, Earthquake, and Petal Blizzard.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • What is your favourite Grass Type Mega? What moveset would you use?

Whilst I have used all three Grass Type Megas my favourite of the three is most definitely Sceptile. The Grass/Dragon typing of Mega Sceptile is unique and gives him STAB on moves like Dragon Claw and Outrage. I also have the good fortune of having a Shiny Female Sceptile I obtained in a trade.

I feel Sceptile in general favours a Physical Moveset so I would use the following moveset: Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Dragon Claw and Earthquake.

With the introduction of Fairy-types Outrage is a very dangerous move to be locked into hence the use of Dragon Claw.

Unova Grass Monotype Update - Trainer Phoebe

My Unova White Monotype is now complete.

Here is my team:
    Spoiler:

My next and final Grass Monotype will be of Alpha Sapphire and the Hoenn region.

Last edited:
    Back