• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: A Pokémon Direct is coming June 6

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • Oh damn, I sleep in and miss the announcement about this. I'm excited! Hoping for a new original region 3DS or switch game personally but admittedly Gen 4 remakes seem the most likely. Or it could be something different entirely like a new type of spinoff.. very very hyped! c:

Years
  • Oh damn, I sleep in and miss the announcement about this. I'm excited! Hoping for a new original region 3DS or switch game personally but admittedly Gen 4 remakes seem the most likely. Or it could be something different entirely like a new type of spinoff.. very very hyped! c:

New region seems unlikely, since it's a generation thing and we can't have 8th Gen this early. Diamond & Pearl remakes would be awesome though, since I had often been struggling with my 4th Gen replays so maybe a fresh spin with Sinnoh may get me motivated again.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Less Alola, more Sinnoh.

I really hope it's for 3DS and not the Switch though...moving the core Pokemon games off the 3DS is effectively a death sentence for it, and that would be the most colossal dick move Nintendo could pull at this point. But given how little I enjoyed Sun/Moon - that is to say, I hated them - I'd rather an actual good Pokemon game be announced tomorrow, if it's all the same.

Having trouble understanding how moving Pok?mon to a more current console, as they have four times now, is a "death sentence" or "a dick move". Don't get me wrong, I think it would be smarter to do 4th remakes for the 3ds right now, and save 8th gen on the switch till later. But by no means would it kill the series to move to the switch now.

pkmin3033

Having trouble understanding how moving Pok?mon to a more current console, as they have four times now, is a "death sentence" or "a dick move". Don't get me wrong, I think it would be smarter to do 4th remakes for the 3ds right now, and save 8th gen on the switch till later. But by no means would it kill the series to move to the switch now.
    It's not the Pokemon series I'm talking about, it's the 3DS. The 3DS owes the majority of its success, and its longevity, to the Pokemon franchise. After Nintendo stated that they would support the 3DS alongside the Switch, moving the Pokemon franchise to the Switch - especially so soon after the console was released and has had no time to get established - is a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.

I will concede that a core series Pokemon game on the Switch would do wonders for the sales of the console. But it would utterly kill the 3DS if it no longer had core Pokemon games on it; sales would drop and production would cease shortly afterwards. Nintendo moving the series to the Switch - why, by the way, is no substitute for a dedicated handheld system - would effectively contradict everything they've said about supporting the 3DS. No clearer message could be given that they're a bunch of filthy liars and nothing they say can be trusted than that.

...and I'm not so sure about what the sales would be like, in fact. In typical Nintendo fashion, there is a severe stock shortage of the Switch right now, and whether or not that will change even by the end of the year is questionable. Nintendo seem to be incapable of acting like an electronics company, because they seem to think that electronics sales work like old-fashioned toys, which they do not. But the cost of the Switch and its peripherals is outrageous. Cartridges are more expensive, too.

It's far too early for them to even think about moving Pokemon to the Switch in my opinion, and honestly I don't think they should ever do it. The 3DS has a very well-established userbase, a new model coming up, and it's a proper handheld system. So it is a dick move in every sense - lack of stock, outrageous costs, and abandoning the handheld they said they were going to continue to support. A bad idea.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    It's not the Pokemon series I'm talking about, it's the 3DS. The 3DS owes the majority of its success, and its longevity, to the Pokemon franchise. After Nintendo stated that they would support the 3DS alongside the Switch, moving the Pokemon franchise to the Switch - especially so soon after the console was released and has had no time to get established - is a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.

I will concede that a core series Pokemon game on the Switch would do wonders for the sales of the console. But it would utterly kill the 3DS if it no longer had core Pokemon games on it; sales would drop and production would cease shortly afterwards. Nintendo moving the series to the Switch - why, by the way, is no substitute for a dedicated handheld system - would effectively contradict everything they've said about supporting the 3DS. No clearer message could be given that they're a bunch of filthy liars and nothing they say can be trusted than that.

...and I'm not so sure about what the sales would be like, in fact. In typical Nintendo fashion, there is a severe stock shortage of the Switch right now, and whether or not that will change even by the end of the year is questionable. Nintendo seem to be incapable of acting like an electronics company, because they seem to think that electronics sales work like old-fashioned toys, which they do not. But the cost of the Switch and its peripherals is outrageous. Cartridges are more expensive, too.

It's far too early for them to even think about moving Pokemon to the Switch in my opinion, and honestly I don't think they should ever do it. The 3DS has a very well-established userbase, a new model coming up, and it's a proper handheld system. So it is a dick move in every sense - lack of stock, outrageous costs, and abandoning the handheld they said they were going to continue to support. A bad idea.

Alright, this is probably my last reply, since you seem to have a very negative attitude on Nintendo and probably won't be bending on it. But just to clear up a couple things -

The 2ds isn't intended to extend the lifespan of the 3ds. It's simply there to provide a cheap incentive to anyone who still doesn't have any of the 3ds family, and wants to get in on its already existing library of games. Kimishima himself said that.

As for the Switch, regardless of whether you like it or not, it IS a true handheld system to the degree that the Gameboy, Advance, DS, and 3ds are. It has a rechargeable battery, that lasts just about as long as the 3ds, and can be taken anywhere when charged. It is a logical system to put the Pok?mon series on, if I've ever seen one.

Finally, they never lied about saying they are supporting the 3ds. They're still delivering Nintendo titles like Pikimin to it. It's your assumption that "pokemon" was part of that plan, or to what degree they were going to support it, that's wrong.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I'd be happy with anything that isn't an Alola third version or (ugh) DPP remakes, but Kanto/Johto sequels are what I want the most. It's been 8 years since we've last seen either region (HGSS), and Gen 7 has been all about the 20th anniversary, so it would make sense to revisit the regions that started it all.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Let us pray to the almighty Arceus that it is a 3DS game! I honestly want HG/SS remakes or Sinnoh remakes. But one option that no one thought of. What if they make an Orange Islands game? Crystal Onix anyone?!?!?

Those are the things I am hoping for. Plus possibly as side release of G/S/C on eshop.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I really hope they announce a main new game (and for the 3ds) and not just a louzy announcmenet about a spin off/ GS going on e-shop etc..

Years
  • If they're doing a Direct specifically for Pokemon, then whatever they're showing has to be something big. They don't usually do this sort of thing for spinoffs. It's probably not just a remake or re-release, either- X/Y and Sun/Moon got Directs, but OR/AS and the R/B/Y virtual console releases didn't.

No idea what it could be at this point, but whatever it is I'm hoping it's for 3DS at the very least, or maybe release it for both 3DS and Switch. I'm also hoping for a quick G/S/C Virtual Console announcement, but I wont be holding my breath for that one.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    If they're doing a direct specifically for Pokemon, then whatever they're showing has to be something big. They don't usually do this sort of thing for spinoffs. It's probably not just a remake or re-release, either- X/Y and Sun/Moon got Directs, but OR/AS and the R/B/Y virtual console releases didn't.

No idea what it could be at this point, but whatever it is I'm hoping it's for 3DS at the very least, or maybe release it for both 3DS and Switch. I'm also hoping for a quick G/S/C Virtual Console announcement, but I wont be holding my breath for that one.

If we're gonna get a new game, I dont see it anything but DP remakes (hopefully)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Just yesterday I was saying to Kaori (former active PC user... currently... Zelda I believe?) are you sick??? When she's sick a new Pokemon game always comes out and she said she was, and I quote, "Boy I am a lil sick". It's a sign! Mainly asked because I was sick, but she's MAGIC.

I'm excited for anything other than DPPT remakes. Hoping for a Kanto remake on Pokemon Switch OR Legendary Pokemon being announced for Pokemon Go. C:

They still haven't announced Legendary Pok?mon for Pok?mon GO yet? Yeesh; it's getting to be nearly a year since release, and apparently even some Johto Pok?mon made it in for release before Mewtwo and the Winged Mirages/Legendary Birds of Kanto.. XD

Regarding the Nintendo 3DS, I don't think it would be that bad if the Pok?mon series hopped over solely to the Nintendo Switch - the Nintendo 3DS has a bevy of Pok?mon games to play already (core series games of Generations 4 - 7, and a variety of spin-offs). The 3DS has had support from Nintendo for a while now, and although players may not like it, plans can change sometimes (although such a "pivot" could be mitigated with a dual-console release on the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch). The Nintendo Switch's existence numbered the days of the Nintendo 3DS for me, anyway; particularly after knowing what happened with the "Nintendo DS is the third pillar" scenario during the Game Boy Advance days. I don't really see how the Nintendo Switch doesn't qualify as a "dedicated portable console" - sure, it's not as small as most portable consoles, but it can still be taken around to play games with in a bag of some sort - the main point of a portable console.. I'm not sure of all of its specific features, but I'm pretty sure that the Nintendo Switch can at least do more than just play games (which is pretty much all that the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance can do - they can't even tell time on their own!), and the screen quality puts all of Nintendo's prior handheld consoles to shame..

I agree that the Nintendo Switch's current stock is not nearly enough to merit an exclusive core series game release at the moment (particularly when the initial amount distributed to stores was less than the amount for the Nintendo Wii's initial release, but I guess Nintendo is being cautious after the Wii U overloaded stock).. Due to the semi-home console nature of the Nintendo Switch, increased price is indeed a factor, but it doesn't seem as nearly as bad as Generation 3 era (where you need console and cartridge, and maybe a link cable for trading. And the issue is exacerbated if you don't have friends/acquaintances, since that's another set of cartridges (or a Nintendo GameCube and Pok?mon Colosseum/XD) that will be needed..)

But unless Nintendo has a different handheld-console successor planned at some point to parallel the Nintendo Switch, Pok?mon will have to move there at some point. Technology Marches On (and without the Pok?mon series moving forward across consoles, we would still be on rinky-dinky Game Boys), and the Nintendo 3DS's technology is already a bit outdated - and even with 3 sets of Nintendo 3DS core series Pok?mon games so far, Pok?mon Sun/Moon weren't optimized by Game Freak. The "userbase" becomes a moot point eventually - the Nintendo 3DS's userbase is not nearly as great as the Nintendo DS's userbase, and we still moved on. I feel that Nintendo's handheld-console userbases will approach sizable numbers eventually, anyway - but even then, they still have problems reaching the massive userbase of the original Game Boy. New Nintendo 3DS models don't really mean anything for Pok?mon - they're simply a means to access a new audience at a new, cheaper price point. Core series Pok?mon games don't even use the "new features" of "newer handheld-console models" that much anyway.

A stock shortage is the main reason in my opinion for the Pok?mon core series to delay from hopping over to the Nintendo Switch just yet. Price is a factor for some people but not all - Pok?mon alone will sell consoles; and if one wants to play Pok?mon that bad, they'll save up for a Nintendo Switch. XD If one has time to save up for a Nintendo 3DS/2DS and a Pok?mon game in the first place, saving up for a Nintendo Switch is roughly the same concept except one will have to wait a little longer/save up a little longer, unfortunately.

------

As for my hopes of tomorrow's Nintendo Direct, I'm not really sure.. Removing past Pok?mon videos was a stupid decision - like, just add a disambiguation term to the old video's title and/or description; it's not that hard (provided that the announcement will be Alola-based). -.- Pok?mon Stars for Nintendo Switch would be interesting if it acts like a third version to Pok?mon Sun and Moon, although I would be annoyed because it would feel like SM purposefully got shortchanged (and I feel like the Nintendo Switch's release was rushed already because of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but whatever). However, Pok?mon X and Y seem more deserving of a sequel than Pok?mon Sun/Moon, in my opinion, to flesh things out, even though Sun/Moon kind of felt rushed to me.

I felt like the Nintendo DS did justice to to the Sinnoh region, mostly via Pok?mon Platinum Version - aside from the incremental improvements since Generation 4, the only thing worth enhancing are the graphics, which mainly applies to the battle phase since the overworld is already in a decent three-dimensional (3D) form. So Diamond/Pearl remakes would probably annoy me, especially because if you remake Pok?mon Diamond/Pearl, then Pok?mon Black/White and Pok?mon Black 2/White 2 practically need a remake too, which seems unnecessary in my opinion (particularly because I feel that Unova's storyline was top-tier and not much needs adding, there are even less incremental changes to add, and most of the gameplay problems I see with Black/White have not been fixed in Generation 6 or 7). But in a way, I kind of want these so that Lucas and Dawn can get "aged-up" artwork to match with Brendan/May (Pok?mon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire variants), Hilbert/Hilda, and Calem/Serena. Also, I'd like at least one post-Generation 4 remake to have a decent Battle Frontier, although I just know that Sinnoh's Battle Frontier will be screwed up nearly the same as the Hoenn one was (with an outright omission being the worst possible implementation). Also, so that people will stop clamoring for it; now I realize what the "Hoenn remakes plz" era looked like for non-Hoenn fans XD (although I actually like Sinnoh, since Generation 4 looked mostly like a lovely logical progression from Generation 3).

Otherwise, I can envision a Pok?mon spin-off (although that would be so underwhelming ;_;).. A Kanto remake would be pointless now since it should've happened last year during the anniversary if it was going to happen, although I've had enough of Kanto anyway. A third version 3DS-based of Sun/Moon also seems possible, although that would annoy me because SM's release would seem pointless due to how backwards they went in non-Pok?mon/move/Ability/region design aspects (as in, all that minor useful stuff from Generation 6 that got removed).

My other main hope would be a Pok?mon massively-multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) in the vein of RuneScape. While a lot of people seem to be against such a thing (and the only reason I'd dislike it are required constant internet connectivity and excessive microtransactions; the level curve issue(s) per region can be worked around), I feel like it would solve a lot of problems that I have with the Pok?mon core series (mainly, version-exclusive Pok?mon (can probably force those in somehow, though), event Pok?mon (although those can be timeframe-based as well, so who knows), move tutor availability (if implemented properly, you wouldn't need some hard-to-find, out-of-print game cartridge from 10 years ago) and having to rebuild each generation from scratch (like tiles/textures, recoding each move and Ability, etc.).

So, my main hopes are (in order from most-wanted to not-as-much-wanted-yet):
    0 - awesome unexpected Pok?mon surprise!
    1 - Pok?mon MMORPG (useful)
    2 - Pok?mon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum remakes for Nintendo 3DS and/or Nintendo Switch (let's just get them over with, although I think they would be way more likely for the Nintendo 3DS just as a "last hurrah/book-ending the DS family"). I can't wait to see what the remake prefixes would be! (Pok?mon ArcaneDiamond/MundanePearl or ZenithDiamond/NadirPearl? Probably something less crappy; I didn't have enough time to use a dictionary to predict better pairs.. XD ;_;)
    3 - Pok?mon Stars for Nintendo 3DS and/or Nintendo Switch (dual-release with substantial improvements would be more sensible in my opinion, and would help Pok?mon Sun/Moon seem less like trash in implementation (excluding new species/moves/Abilities, since those were expected anyway), although then I'd wonder why not just wait to release Pok?mon Sun/Moon until they were fixed properly).
    4 - Generation 8 core series for Nintendo 3DS and/or Nintendo Switch (would seem way too early, in my opinion, but the faster the Pok?mon games can improve from their mistakes, the better. Also, being ever closer to 1000 Pok?mon species!)

Whatever it is, please let it be amazing (and hopefully surpass the general awesomeness of Pok?mon HeartGold/SoulSilver, and the nearly-as-awesome Pok?mon Emerald and Pok?mon Black 2/White 2, to a lesser extent).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Imagine if it was an announcement for generation 8. Everyone would lose their marbles.

I think it'll be an announcement for Pokemon Stars on Switch, not that I necessarily want that....I don't have the Switch yet so it would suit me more if it was on 3DS. I just feel like it's going to be on Switch. Especially since they had the option for those HD models in Sun & Moon. They'll hardly be able to utilize those HD models on the 3DS will they? Not to mention all those walking & running pokemon animations they apparently spent a lot of time and effort on for no reason at all.

I do think we could be in for a shock tomorrow. Something brand new we're not expecting.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    What I hope, in order...

1.) Sinnoh Remakes
    2.) Something with Kanto
    3.) Something with Alola on the Switch

What I expect, in order...

1.) Sinnoh Remakes
    2.) Something with Alola on the Switch
    3.) Something with Kanto

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    This was a pretty hype surprise.

I doubt we are getting DP Remakes, I think those will come 2019 or 2020, probably 19 though.

I do still think a Switch game is pretty likely as it doesn't seem like the 3ds is being featured at E3 this year, so I can't see the next game be on that in addition to many other factors that people seem to have wrote off.

I think it's definitely a main title and it relates to Sun and Moon. I think it will be a Kanto and Alola game and work as sequels to those respective titles. You start in Kanto in HD and on the Switch with Alola being the post game sort of like the sevii islands. Lillie is a companion you see throughout the game and the region will be truly different. Probably no Team Rocket and Gyms may even be different, while Alola keeps the trials, with new things added to them. I hope it has a pretty connected plot and adds more to Sun and Moon's but I wouldn't be convinced.

Regardless I think it's likely a Kanto Alola game or at least one of those. That may be too helpful but who knows. I hope it's something good though. And I hope we get an actual trailer not just the name and system.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • No clue what to expect. I feel like Diamond/Pearl remakes would be the most logical guess; its way too soon to return to Alola. (and honestly wouldn't be too excited of going through Alola again)

Hope it's not something underwhelming like a Pokken port or mobile related.

Last edited:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Isn't it too late in the year to announce main series games? AFAIK, it was February I think when XY, ORAS, and SM were announced.

Anyway, any news is good news for me. So hyped.

Back