• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ads

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
Years
  • Then, edit it lol

Well, to me, ads is irritating but they are to support...the server they are In o_O?
    I faintly remembered somethin like dat n.n

TheZenTraveler

I know my profile is out of date, but don't worry,
    Years
  • I'll start with this... If you are using either Firefox or Chrome, Try Adblock plus If you're truly discontent about them.

But Advertisements make money for the site they are on, normally... and often are not overly intrusive on most websites that I frequent. So yes I believe Ads should be present, so websites can generate money and help pay for domain costs and other maintenance fees.

I personally wish some sites would abolish video ads without a mute option though, because that is just a tad on the annoying side of my tolerance for ads XD.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2014
    Ads are significantly a good way to spread the word of a program or new small business. It's good for the one that has the ad spreading across websites, it's downright annoying to always see them and make browsing a hassle. Fortunately there is now AdBlockPlus which helps people that hates ads and wants a peaceful search through the internet. For me I use it since i want to browse effectively and not see the same ad over and over.

Years
  • So y'all wanted to know my views on advertisements? Let's see.. they're annoying, they're a nuisance, and they're nothing more than a roadblock in terms of browsing the internet. I'm not really against them per se, but advertisements are how services make money.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • I'll start with this... If you are using either Firefox or Chrome, Try Adblock plus If you're truly discontent about them.

OMG, Adblock Plus is such an awesome add-on! There actually is a version for IE, which I downloaded at the suggestion of a penpal. I have a prepaid wifi device with a data limit, so Adblock Plus cut down my bandwidth use by a huge margin and all the ads I used to see are almost all gone (save for minor ones that are actually part of some websites).

On topic: Ads really never used to phase me too much. However, there were some websites that were almost all ads, which got really annoying when I tried to go to them just to see what they were about. After that point, I got fed up and stopped going to sites because they were polluted with ads. But, as previously stated, they only exist so that companies can make a profit, so there's not much that can be done about them.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I'm a user of Adblock and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I really don't care if someone makes money off them. I do not want to see ads. Most of the time, I'll try to block them or shut them off. In fact, if a certain company's ad bothers me so much, 9 times out of 10, I'll end up despising that company and refuse to use their products.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I've always blocked ads right from start. Some form of ad blocking add-on is the first thing I install on any browser.

My personal opinion on ads is that I understand the need for some websites to use them as a source of revenue. But there's this very thin line as to what I consider 'acceptable' forms of ads. Mainly they're ones that aren't obtrusive and get in the way of viewing the content on a website. Flashy ads with videos or looping gifs are an instant no from me.

If more advertisers used static adverts that are there and do'nt get in the way with my browsing then it's fine by me. (see reddit ads)

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Ads actually don't bug me. I just keep them on to give a little something back to the sites I use daily. I hardly even notice them anyways.

But....Facebook and Google dun ♥♥♥♥ed it up with their whole "I'm going to use your data to find your advertisement ideal dream and possibly use comments you made as feedback for company products" You two have earned your AdBlock.

Years
  • I've had AdBlock for as long as I can remember to the point where I forget some websites even have ads. Sometimes I do feel guilty but more often than not ads are way intrusive for my browsing experience, not to mention very very annoying. Chances are I won't turn my AdBlocker off for a specific site unless I absolutely have to.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Just like most of you, I have AdBlock installed, too, I rarely run into ads. Few years ago, though, I had no idea such a thing existed, so I just had to endure all them when browsing other sites. xD;; I didn't click on any, as I was sort of afraid of having my computer contaminated with some virus. I did have firewall enabled and anti-virus installed, but it's never a bad thing to be extra careful, is it? Haha.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • I don't really mind ads unless they are played in a video and I can never find it on the site or they just pop up, blocking your view of the webpage. Then I really get annoyed with them. But until then I just ignore, until I found ad-block of course ;)

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I don't mind ads unless they're very intrusive. I leave PC's ads on because they're not intrusive at all, but if they are (like pirate bay), I block them... of course they can only get inappropriate advertisers and it's awkward if I'm asked by my family to download something with them right there.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Like some have said, I am also a user of ad block. I have my reasons though. I get distracted by flashy annoying ads because of my ADHD. Sometimes, they can be bothersome to my autism on occasion. I prefer to disable ads to prevent them from making these conditions worse for me.

I also get bad headaches and have a hard time with bright colors and such. x_x

I don't think anything should be done about them. Without ads, people would make you pay for stuff that you shouldn't pay. I know that blocking them means that they don't get paid and such, but for some there are medical reasons for wishing they weren't so annoying. It's just like on TV. All of those annoying ads about products you'll never use or something are what pay for the TV shows you watch each and everyday. It's the same thing online, except the only drawback is they are more annoying then they are on TV.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Had adblock for a number of years, and never went back. Only times when I see an advertisement is when I log on PC or any other site at my uni's library because their browsers are not covered by adblock and that sucks. lol

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I personally find it terrible that so many people on here use AdBlock. Ads are the foundation of the free internet as we know it, and ads are financing individuals who are living their dream producing content on the internet.
    Try and imagine an internet without advertising. It would be terrible, wouldn't it? I know you probably don't think that way, but if there was no advertising, there would be almost no content. Looking at YouTube, where thousands of individual content-creators earn a little on the side from ads. A service like this would be pay for access if there were no ads. Look at blogs, or free news sites which would not be around, but most importantly, look at the Pokécommunity, which earns money off ads. This community which we all love and use, this place of meeting new friends, talking to people who also love Pokémon. This place is also to some extent financed by ads.

Therefore I will just say one thing to you Ad Blockers out there: Please disable Adblock on websites that you want to support. Disable AdBlock on pages where you see individuals' content, like Deviantart, disable it on blogs or indie news sites, and disable it here on Pokécommunity.
    Honestly, I think you can easily have the ads blocked on huge wealthy corporations like Google or Facebook, or on various file-sharing sites, but I beg you to support the stuff you like!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I don't mind banner ads, but I really irritated by popup ads because they contiune to spawn over and over again and I strongly annoyed video ads on youtube cuz it just a time filler to delay your watch time and certain ads that follow you when you scroll or when you click [x] it will take you somewhere.

I do use adblockers on my firefox and chrome, I may disable on certain sites when I feel like it >.>

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • For me, most of the ads are annoying, like when the ads popping up on the screen, or disguises as the Download button on some certain file sharing/software downloading sites. Usually I just use the Adblocker to take care of that. I disabled it on some sites if I find it not intrusive though.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Video ads are so annoying: every time I want to watch a stream on Twitch I have to set down the quality, because I have a really bad internet connection, and even then it's really laggy. As soon as ads get displayed it gets even more annoying: the volume goes up to about 200+%, the length of the ad gets stretched even longer to about 300+% (because they want you to watch the whole thing).

Most of the ads on websites don't fit into the design making them to stand out; popups trick you by providing an "x" which doesn't simply close the ad but rather redirect you to the website they are advertising; in some forums if you hover over some words, ads pop up; some websites seem to consist only of ad banners; the banners themselves don't support the website they are on, unless the users click on them and buy something on the advertised sites, that's one of the reasons they come with a tracker which records what the user is doing, which on the other hand helps companies to build a profile of you to send you specific ads they find to be fitting to you.

Since I want a rather clean internet experience I use a couple of addons to get rid of most of these things. I guess the only thing that's missing is a NoNSA addon :P

Back