• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] All 800+ Pokemon will NOT be available in Sword and Shield at launch, even via Pokemon Home

Years
    This feels like kind of a shame for those (like myself) who are anxious to transfer all their SM/USUM Pokemon over to Swsh. I do hope this is a temporary thing. :s

Years
    i've edited the thread title to include "at launch".

Pokémon XY were released in October of 2013. Pokémon Bank was not released until December 2013.
    Pokémon Sun and Moon were released in November of 2016. Pokémon Bank was not compatible with them until January 2017.

I think it's too soon to say that they absolutely will never allow one to transfer over old Pokémon - I'm certain it'll be rolled out later on. They definitely could've worded the announcement better.

Last edited:
    Years
    yeah it seems pretty crazy to me to limit the Pokemon you can have in Swsh to only Galar region Pokemon. If they did this solely to save development time then fine, as long as they find a way to patch the ability to transfer non-Galar region 'mons in later on.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    this really doesn't bother me but boyyyyyyyyy are they getting backlash on twitter for this lmao
    not surprising, this especially effects those of us who have spent years working on a shiny living dex and the ones with all those refined competition teams
    This feels like kind of a shame for those (like myself) who are anxious to transfer all their SM/USUM Pokemon over to Swsh. I do hope this is a temporary thing. :s
    same, and it might be considering how much backlash their going to keep getting from this. so he either he poorly worded it in the direct or he poorly worded it in the announcement;

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Joe Merrick confirmed that this is not a mistranslation. This is actually happening.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
    Knew something was up when they just didn't create a poke bank for switch it's a shame looks like most of our pokes will never leave the 3ds which is horrible

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    And we all know the majority of the Galar dex will be gen 1 'mons again, too, which is perfect considering LGPE is compatible with Home.

Seriously, I don't want to overreact here but this is actually absurd. I can't think of any reason that could possibly justify this, and with how anti-patching Game Freak has been shown to be, I genuinely worry this may never actually get altered.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    chances are Pokemon Home will work with Swsh a little bit after launch day, like was the case with Bank and X/Y+Sun/Moon

so I'm not really concerned right now

Years
    And we all know the majority of the Galar dex will be gen 1 'mons again, too, which is perfect considering LGPE is compatible with Home.

Seriously, I don't want to overreact here but this is actually absurd. I can't think of any reason that could possibly justify this, and with how anti-patching Game Freak has been shown to be, I genuinely worry this may never actually get altered.

Jeez, I didn't even pay much attention but you are right, the amount of Gen 1 Pokemon in the dex does paint a worrying picture. What reason is there to keep beating the Gen 1 drum still? Is it just Masuda's weird imagination thinking older fans only care about Kanto?

Last edited:
    Like many others I'm pretty bummed about this. Just recently they were saying how Pokémon is one of the only franchises where you grow an attachment to your monsters and want to be able to move them to future games, and how they admired that about the franchise, but now this? I'll be putting off shiny breeding in Ultra Sun until I can confirm more of what will surely be in the Galar dex.

Years
    Years
    Yeah, this is quite possibly the worst decision GF has ever made with the franchise. There's been a lot of backlash from fans on social media/Pokemon fan sites over this. One can only hope all that backlash is enough to convince GF to change their minds, even if does mean having to delay the games (though if they still want to get the games out on time, a post-launch update patch would be a fair compromise, IMO).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Astounding. One of the worst decisions and they deserve all the salt thrown at them atm. I truly hope they have a rethink of this.

May do a "rant" Daily article on this soon, hold me back. =p

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I'm positive it's temporary. But even so, Home, the ability to transfer between games on the Switch, doesn't come out till next year anyway, while the game comes out this year. If Home doesn't come out till next year, the fact that you cant transfer right now is irrelevant anyway. Plus, remember this graphic:

Spoiler:

We're going to be able to transfer from the Bank (meaning from our DS's), from POGO, and from Let's Go (God I always get those two confused), into SwSh. I'm pretty sure there will be 100% coverage on the come-up.

For now just enjoy the upcoming game. They did this when Gen 5 came out, and we survived it.

Last edited:
    Back