• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AM I SCREAMING?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    DO YOU READ THIS POST AS ME SCREAMING? DO YOU VIEW THINGS LIKE THIS AS RUDE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON USING ALL CAPITALS TO EXPRESS YOUR OPINIONS?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I don't think Justin would appreciate your attitude.

I read capitalized messages in a louder voice, not necessarily shouting. Usually it's for emphasis so that's how it's emphasized in my head.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I do look at that as screaming, yeah. Don't mind them, but they don't really seem to fit the atmosphere of places like message boards and website comment sections, since, well, they are usually... more serious, I suppose? XD" If it's some chatroom, though, then that's totally fine; chats are supposed to be laid-back and enjoyable, so in my opinion, you should be doing whatever you please.

Years
    I usually read it in a louder tone, depending on what the message says, it could either be read in an angry loud tone, or an excited loud tone. I never caps anything unless I'm extremely excited lol, never really do it if I'm angry, which I don't really get angry much on the internet..^__^

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    DON'T YELL AT ME. ROOD.

I use caps when I'm angry at someone or when someone just can't seem to understand some simple concept that I'm trying to tell them.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I don't see them as yelling or angry, I just see them emphasized more than lowercase text or maybe just talking a little louder. I have no idea why I've never seen them as yelling.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    yeeeeeeeeeah I kinda view that as screaming, but I also view CAPS as an attention-grabber. DOES THIS CATCH YO ATTENTION?

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I always see caps as someone holding shift by accident. It's usually emphasis, not shouting.

FOR CAPS TO BE SHOUTING YOU HAVE TO USE A LOT OF EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!!!

Years
    ^You know someone means business when they pair all caps with a few too many exclamation marks but manage to format staff names properly.

I've always taken all caps to not necessarily mean yelling, but as a way to get a point across by being an attention grabber (unless, like I said, it's followed by exclamation marks a plenty). Either that, or someone may have accidentally left caps lock on, which you can usually tell just by reading the context of what they wrote.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I don't see it as coming across as louder, much less screaming. But, I use caps lock for sarcasm or otherwise to make a joke.

A lot of my conversations with friends actually require leaving caps lock on.

Wouldn't use all caps nor all lowercase for anything formal, or business-like, of course. But in a casual environment, I find it emphasizes sarcasm the best.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I do sometimes, but it depends on the emotions the person is displaying for me. If they are shouting like I HATE YOU OMFG WTF or OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE THE HOENN REMAKES ARE HAPPENING, then I usually take it that way. XD

I'm a huge culprit for this though. When I get hyper, I end up typing in all caps because well... to me, caps are awesome and stuff. My friends and bf usually know I'm hyper when I use them too. XD

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR THE COOL

BUT EVEN WITH CRUISE CONTROL YOU STILL HAVE TO ST
    EER THOUGH

I LOVE TYPING IN CAPS THERE'S SOMETHING SATISFYING ABOUT IT. IT'S A NICE MIDDLE FINGER TO THE NORMALITY OF TYPING BLAND ENGLISH AND A NICE DOSE OF INTENSE LARGE LETTERS ALL COMING AT YOU IN BEAUTIFUL BLOCKISH FORM.

I LIKE TO USE CAPS TO EMPHASISE THINGS. I SOMETIMES USE THEM JOKINGLY AS WELL. WE SHOULD ALL CHERISH THE SACRED ARTE THAT IS ALL CAPS.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
    I don't always think that caps are for screaming. I think they work more as emphasis for specific words or phrases.
    Examples:
    I am SO happy right now!
    But when I showed up, HE WAS EATING MY SANDWICH!

I treat caps like one would for bolds, underlines, or italics. So...
    WHAT WOULD WE CONSIDER THIS?

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
    I AM KRIEG. I AM SCREAM. I AM BECOME DEATH.

I do view it as screaming, but it only annoys me when people are aiming it towards me when a discussion is starting to get out of hand.

Now, if it used like THIS, then I don't view it like that. I see that as EMPHASIS. Emphasis on the emphasis. Too much trying to emphasize emphasis.

300th post. yay.

Years
    Most of the time yeah, that's what I view it as, but sometimes when I see it I tend to read it as funny. It doesn't always bother me, unless it's used in context that's obviously meant to be mean.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING

USE YOUR INSIDE VOICES

Yeah, I do view capslock as yelling, or at least talking very loudly. It depends on the context. If someone seems excited, then I view it as them talking super loud and sounding happy. If it's something sad then I view it as almost yelling, to where they're upset. It doesn't bother me, unless maybe someone typed in caps all the time, and then I'd think it was sort of odd.

Back