• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anybody else stray away from using legendaries?

Years
  • For example, I am playing Pokemon X and I caught Xerneas a few times, but I have yet to use him. Something about using one of the most powerful Pokemon in a game makes defeating other trainers unrewarding.

I typically like sticking to common Pokemon found in the wild

Anybody else kind of play the same way?

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • I'm the same. In the past I used legendaries a lot. During gen 1 and 2 Mewtwo was part of my team. In gen 3 I often used Latias, Kyogre and Rayquaza. And in gen 4 Giratina was part of my main team. However after that I kinda stopped using them since a lot of them (most of the ubers) are way too OP in the main game.

So yeah, since then I don't use them in my team anymore. Sometimes I train a legendary, just for fun, but never really use them anymore.

Years
  • I've been usually legendaries for years but recently in the last two years I'd say I have been straying away from them. I guess that's cause last year there was a gap in the Pokemon releases so I spent most of the time replaying the older games and using Pokemon I haven't used before which meant that legendary Pokemon haven't featured in any of my teams and that has carried on to this very day.

As for Sun and Moon, I'll probably use the legendary though because I always like to do that whenever I'm playing a new Pokemon game.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I used to use legendaries when I was younger, but mostly in Ruby. It was in 4th Gen when I started to train 6 Pokemon I had every intention of keeping on my team, and so then I didn't find "space" anymore for legendaries. Since then, it just doesn't feel too fun for me if I use legendaries, at the very least whilst still progressing through the main story.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I do and it's kinda been that way since my Gold/Silver days. There's really no point in making an easy game even easier was my reasoning. Saying that, I do feel like I've "missed out" so to say, on a lot of cool pokemon and signature moves because of it.

Years
  • To be honest, legends are the only reason I play Pokemon. I collect them and I battle with them all the time! I don't use them because they're so strong, but because I love their designs and concepts. That said, I don't use every legendary Pokemon... I don't really like Meloetta, Zygarde, Xerneas, Reshiram, or Genesect. Also, I'm kind of hoping they get nerfed so that I can use my favorites in the Battle Spot... Then again, they wouldn't be "legendary" if they got that nerf. {XD}

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I usually just train 1 pokemon and have 5 HM slaves, so yes, a legendary is usefull in the league :)

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I usually stay away from using them. I just feel as if the games are already easy, why make it even easier by using the cover Legendary. It's not like the Elite Four are super tough or anything, unfortunately.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I pretty much echo the feeling that using legendaries is unrewarding in battle. And there seems to be a small part of me that thinks using such an ancient and mythical being as just another member of my party is very reductive. It somehow removes the grandeur and mystique of legendary monsters. That said, there are still ones that I would love to use more in battle. I enjoy the design of Jirachi and Celebi.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I like the design of a lot of legendaries, but I always box my legendaries straight away. I feel they're a bit cheap to use - no real effort (beyond catching it) put into getting it to a high level and being powerful etc, compared to my current team, especially since I'm a person who gets pretty attached to the Pokémon I take with me throughout the game haha. That and I feel it would be a bit weird/unrealistic for a young Pokémon trainer to casually roam around the region destroying innocent trainers with a Legendary.

Boda69

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    I do and it's kinda been that way since my Gold/Silver days.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Legendaries feel like cheating, in some cases deservedly so and in others not. I think this isnt helped by them being banned from maison etc.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I just tend to box the legendaries once I've caught them rather than using them in my team. It feels kinda like cheating for some reason and I guess that's why I prefer to use non-legendary Pokemon.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Generally the times I don't use them are if I've used them recently/on previous playthroughs, have my party of 6 already filled out, or just don't care for that legendary.

I'm not averse to using them, as being a competitive battler tends to make you see them as not overpowered, and "it's cheating/makes the game too easy or even easier" were never arguments that mattered much to me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    I hardly ever use Legendaries. I usually go mad trying to capture them, because doing so just seems like such an integral part of the in-game story, but then once I capture them they just sit in the depository next to everday Pokemon like Pidgey and Rattata.

Zekrom in Pokemon White was the only proper Legendary that I used in my line-up to finish my playthrough. By the time I beat the Elite Four for the first time in Pokemon White I didn't feel as connected to my team as I usually do so it was easy to find a spot for Zekrom.

I don't even like to use the event type Pokemon like Lapras. It just seems more natural to only use Pokemon that you caught in the wild and leveled up yourself. However, with that said, I am currently playing through Pokemon X, and I do have Lapras on my team, which is very unusual for me.

Azelf Ibrahim

Good thing I'm here! No? Anyone?
    Years
  • Yep, I don't use them either. I have a full team by the time I make it to a legendary anyway.

Most, if not all of my legends I just box and leave untouched.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I use Legendary pokemon for training other pokemon. Legendary pokemon are wonderful for re-battling trainers, fighting secret base grunts and owners (especially because the base owners sometimes use Legendary pokemon themselves), and also for sweeping through the Elite Four for experience and cash.
    Often I'm selective with which Legendary pokemon I use, I generally lean towards the cute ones like Manaphy, Shaymin, Mew, Jirachi, etc.. but I do like a few of the really spectacular and epic Legendary pokemon like Arceus, Girating, and Rayquaza.
    However, all of this is based on playing with these pokemon for post-game purposes, I never play with Legendary pokemon in my play through teams or my competitive teams.

One thing I have been doing with Legendary pokemon lately, is I've been building them to compete in Contests. I kind of feel like that contests are the most balanced playing field for Legendary pokemon and it's really entertaining to give them move pools built around doing contests instead of fighting.

Ignoring all of the above stuff that I do with most of the Legendary pokemon, I otherwise just throw them in a PC box named "Legendary", and they generally just sit there doing nothing. I do however like collecting Legendary pokemon so I do sort of look at them as Trophies as well.

I also treat Legendary pokemon as being an unbalanced advantage. It feels wrong (to me) to use them in any competitive format or for even just completing the overall game. I don't get upset over people who do use them, because generally I try to build my teams with the intention that they might have to fight these Legendary pokemon and thus built to defeat them, but I would be uncomfortable with my self if I used them all the time, specifically for battling.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In-game, the main legendaries are kind of cool to use because plot-wise, you deserve to have them on your team. It's your pal because reasons and plot. However, I never used legendaries in the Kanto games, and I didn't much enjoy using Groudon in Ruby since I preferred proper Fire pokémon on my team ahha. (it had Fire attacks and all)

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • I rarely use the main game legends. However, I'll often use one of the obligatory trio legends to fill a gap in my in-game team if needed near the end of the game (like Azelf or Zapdos.)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Competitive play? I don't really care about which Pokemon are legendaries and which aren't. But in-game, for some reason I don't really tend to use them. I don't really know why haha. Maybe it's because in my head they seem like sort of mini-Gods and it's kind of wrong to use them? Not literally but it seems unrealistic for a 10-year-old to have access to that kind of power.

Back