• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Anyone Else REALLY Dislike The Pokedex Design?

Maekrow

Mae
Days
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I recently was given Legends as a gift, and I have to say that that has one of my favorite Pokedex designs of all time. Maybe Pokedex designs don't matter to everyone, but I've always enjoyed them being rather aesthetically pleasing, and for the most part, I'd liked every single iteration. But holy god is the Pokedex design in Scarlet downright hideous. And it's wild because the designs in both Arceus and Sword, both of which come first, are amazing, but the design in Scarlet is just a visual nightmare. It's really the only thing about Scarlet I actively dislike. Anyone else feel this way or have any opinions about Pokedex designs in general?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I find that navigating the S/V PokeDex is absolute garbage. And while I'll admit they've fixed the horrible lag issues it had for the longest time, not having a dedicated search function, plus the claustrophobic side-scrolling design makes it by far the worst Pokedex to quickly find info on a specific Pokemon.
    As far as how it looks purely from an artstyle point of view though, I have no opinion. Function>form to me in the case of a logbook.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • design ain't awful to me but like Alex said- searching? quality of life features? where are they??? a complete lack of navigational ability is killing me every time i open it ngl

Maekrow

Mae
    Days
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I find that navigating the S/V PokeDex is absolute garbage. And while I'll admit they've fixed the horrible lag issues it had for the longest time, not having a dedicated search function, plus the claustrophobic side-scrolling design makes it by far the worst Pokedex to quickly find info on a specific Pokemon.
    As far as how it looks purely from an artstyle point of view though, I have no opinion. Function>form to me in the case of a logbook.

Yeah see I agree with everything you said, but I also wish it looked better. I understand preferring function over form, but why can't it be both pretty AND useful? lol

design ain't awful to me but like Alex said- searching? quality of life features? where are they??? a complete lack of navigational ability is killing me every time i open it ngl

Yeah I basically don't ever open my Pokedex in Scarlet, and that's a real shame cause I used to love looking through them and in every other game I'm playing, be it Sword or Arceus of Brilliant Diamond, I love looking through them. Scarlet is just clunky and ugly and hard to navigate and it makes me sad :(

Years
  • It's taken me a long time to realize but since gen 5 or 6, they've been especially intent on each game feeling very much unique, and that extends to remodelling certain features that are common to each game (eg. Pokégear/PokéNav/Xtransceiver, the multiplayer interface, even the Bag).
    This extends to the Pokédex and yeah, I'm not a fan of its design in SV. It's clunky and laggy, and I don't know how many times I've accidentally backed out of it straight to the overworld.

I do like that you're given rewards for crossing certain milestones; though that's something I didn't discover until after I'd already completed the 'Dex, so I was just given about 20 items that weren't of any huge significance by that point. But it's definitely a great idea, especially for newer players.

It's just lacking a bit of polish and the same QOL features we've had before; seems they sacrificed a fair bit in the name of a bookshelf-like layout.

Years
  • Eh, the design is okay to me. Not much of a fan of the Bookshelf page, but a lot of the images when you're actually on a Pokemon's page are pretty cute.

As already mentioned, it really needs a search function. I pretty much just google serebii's paldea dex and then use find in page there to see what number a mon has in the Paldea Dex lmao.

Last edited:

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • I don't really care for it. I think that the bookshelf idea was neat and the cover page images are neat, but the thing just isn't usable.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I don't like it much either. I like being surprised by new pokemon, so I didn't really like the glitch where scrolling sometimes reveals pokemon you haven't caught yet.

Charcadet121

Emotional Warrior of Justice
    Days
  • Well, it all depends on your personal opinions. Not like I have too much good things to say about it either...

Days
    • He/Him
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't like many of the Pokedex images so I guess that's my biggest complaint. I think that's less a Pokedex-specific issue than my general dislike for the "realism" approach to graphics in this gen. The Pokemon just don't stand out.

It also feels slower to scroll through than in previous gens? But maybe that's just my imagination.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    No search function
    Having to scroll through every Pokemon and knowing the new random dex order
    No way to rotate the model of the Pokemon like in ORAS

Just really terrible and lazy design

Back