• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone here having experience with roommate.?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    tell me what is the most common conflict that you have with with your roommate? what is your solution?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I live part-time with my boyfriend so he would be my roommate I guess. Most of our conflicts are not related to us being roommates, lol. Most commonly he whines at me for not putting the toilet paper on the roll and I whine at him for not throwing out the empty roll when he replaces it.

Also for a year straight I told him he needed a tall trash can in the kitchen. He didn't listen and didn't listen and didn't listen and then last month he got one and he keeps going on about how great it is and YEAH DUDE I KNEW IT WOULD BE THAT'S WHY I SAID TO GET IT A YEAR AGO GOD

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • Only experience i ever had was when I was about 14/15 sharing my own bedroom with a 18 year old that my grandmother knew from a friend and decided to help out until he got on his feet. My biggest issue I am the type of person even now that whats mine is mine. I always didn't like to leave my room/house because I always thought about what he could be touching or moving in my room or maybe even stealing.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • My roommate never let's me know if he'll be in for dinner, never cleans up after himself (stacks of dishes in his room, etc), ALWAYS hoards all of our towels so when I go to take a shower I have to go into his room, put a towel in the wash and wait for a bit...

The most common conflict I have with him though, is his internet usage. I usually NEVER get capped. Since he's been living with me, I'm constantly capped. Makes me want to kick him in the shins.

Years
  • Our biggest conflict? He likes to come into my room when he comes home from work and bother me. By that time of night, I want to be left alone. He just doesn't get it that he should prooooobably just let me bother him instead. :/

He's also a slob. So am I. Which makes things worse for both of us -- with my last roommate, she was neat, and I actually felt pressure to keep the house clean. Now I don't.

And of course, I'm the one that does most of the cleaning. He'll sometimes tidy the living room/dining room table a bit, and he takes out the trash. That's about it. -_-;

Years
  • I live with two other girls (we have all our own room) and I really don't want to share my flat ever again when I move out except for my boyfriend.
    The first one is the dirtiest person I've ever met. She never cleans any room or washes her dishes and when she does we have to wash them again because they're all dirty.
    She says she hates cleaning and washing dishes but who doesn't? We had multiple discussions about it. Sometimes she cleans the kitchen or the bathroom if we get angry with her but she always leaves the clothing rags or the full bucket behind.
    We have to remind her at least 3 times before she cleans up anything.

And then she annoys us with her freakin' fotoshoots she pays for because it's so much fun.
    Then she invides stylists to our house and, of course, leaves a mess behind.
    She can't even take out the trash and she doesn't seem to care if it's clean or not. She invites people to us when the kitchen is so dirty that I would be ashamed but she just doesn't care.
    Luckily she is planning to move in with her boyfriend next year. Maybe I will move in with my boyfriend before she does. Either way I may get rid of her next year :D

The other one is quite nice but still very young (she is 17, I'm 24) and she just can't stop talking. If she catches you anywhere she will talk at least for an hour and doesn't understand "hints" like "I'm tired, I'm going to lay down" or "I have so much to do, better go back in my room".
    She just overhears it and keeps talking.
    She is a very nice person and unlike the other she knows how to clean but sometimes she is a bit stressful.

Years
  • I don't have a room mate but I have a friend who comes over all the time. I always make him clean the room/cook/wash the dishes etc.

The most common conflict I have with him though, is his internet usage. I usually NEVER get capped. Since he's been living with me, I'm constantly capped. Makes me want to kick him in the shins.

I have an unlimited plan. My friend keeps downloading all sorts of random stuff but it's not a bother. :silly:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • The most common conflict I have with him though, is his internet usage. I usually NEVER get capped. Since he's been living with me, I'm constantly capped. Makes me want to kick him in the shins.

You two should just split the cost to upgrade to unlimited data. He should know if he's going to suck up so much data that he should at least cover some of the cost of it. Have you at least addressed the issue with him?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Also for a year straight I told him he needed a tall trash can in the kitchen. He didn't listen and didn't listen and didn't listen and then last month he got one and he keeps going on about how great it is and YEAH DUDE I KNEW IT WOULD BE THAT'S WHY I SAID TO GET IT A YEAR AGO GOD
    W... wait. Why didn't you get it, if it bothered you?

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • You two should just split the cost to upgrade to unlimited data. He should know if he's going to suck up so much data that he should at least cover some of the cost of it. Have you at least addressed the issue with him?

I bring the issue up every few days when I actually see him; usually, he sits in his hovel of a room and does nothing but YouTube, Twitch, Diablo 3 and DOTA. And he claims none of this uses bandwidth.

Whenever I bring it up, it's always a money issue. He's currently getting paid off Centrelink (Australian dole, free money for people who don't work pretty much) and every now and then he'll do a shift at a place called "Gadget Doctor" fixing broken Playstations. He'd clear about $500 a fortnight.

I'm just going to have to upgrade it by myself. ;-;

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • My roommate and I actually haven't fought yet.

The only thing that's happened is that we keep pushing off unloading the dishwasher. I would get angry, but it's my fault too, haha.

But my roommate is a really good sport about things. If he wants to watch Youtube, but I'm playing a game of LoL, then he'll let me know and wait until the game is done to go on. We're both pretty lax about things, so it's going to take a lot to actually get us to fight.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    W... wait. Why didn't you get it, if it bothered you?

Because it wasn't him saying "I don't really care", it was him saying "I don't want a taller one" for actual reasons, so I compromised and gave him his way until he realized that I was right.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • My roommate did not contribute to the apartment's well being (did not do chores, did not clean things when I asked), ate all my food and still owes me 70$. He contributed nothing towards my expenses at the time and quite frankly I was so relieved to have him out.

Please do not let them be this guy. If you are the more out-of-the-house of the two, ensure that he or she is putting in their due time.

bradenm

Wheelie say find friends today
    Years
  • I've ended up dating my room mate... Oops! Guess we got along a bit too well!
    Although it worked out well because it inspired her to move out of the old falling apart house we were sharing. I heard they got refugees to move in there now because no one wanted to live there lol. Although I have houseshared before and it was terrible. I lived briefly with a guy who had a meth habit... My stuff went missing often and I never seen it again. So yeah, always good to try to find out as much as you can about someone before moving in with them if possible.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Well my roomate is my new Boyfriend. I just argue with him about bathroom times. there are just times when you got to make sure no one's in there...Also, when he waits until he feels like getting up to throw out his trash he made in the living room XD.

Parent's weren't too happy I was living with a guy though. But it's a guy they know well.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • My first roommate was THE biggest jerk ever
    I seriously never understood what his problem was
    From day one, he was a monstrous d*** to me, and everyone on our floor knew it

I regret not taking a stance against him
    I took too much crap in freshman year
    My second year roommate was awesome, though

Always stand up firm and don't take crap from these people
    Communication = crucial

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I live with my boyfriend and have done so for over a year now. Biggest fights we still have are about cleaning and chores xD It's been established that I wash our clothes (because he made my panties gray/pink some times in the past) and that he grabs ANY deal to get out of doing the vacuum cleaning. So nowadays I've mostly accepted that I have to do most of the chores if they are to get done at all (which pains the feminist soul in me quite a bit but ah, gotta care for my man and hope that he'll care for me in return lol) but I have sneaky ways to make him do stuff too... To get away from vacuum cleaning xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2014
    I live with 3 girls and a guy (not in the same room though!). They're all nice people but they just suck at doing dishes and cleaning. I'm the oldest in the house and the only one who has lived away from home/halls of residence before so I'm the default go to guy for EVERYTHING which can be a little annoying sometimes. Having to show someone how to use a gas cooker and how to turn on a washing machine is pretty tedious (does wonders for my ego though, I'm so self sufficient! :P).

I'm also annoyed that they don't know that using metal on my non-stick pans removes the non-stick! 3 pans ruined and I've only been living with them for 2 weeks :(

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I think it mostly about cleaning...

I lived with my best friend (girl) for 3 years and yes we had some fights, but we could look back and just talk about it, and now when we think about it we agree that it was childish and we are glad that we could talk and get over it, some other roomate cannot. It is important to talk with your roomate when something is wrong, because if you don't tell them they don't know what you think!

We had a great time togheter, we had to split because we wanted to move out but we both wanted something different (she wanted a dog, a house, far from the University, no rugs... I wanted a place where I would pay less, not too far from the university...)

So now I am living with my other best friend (guy), its been a month now and we love it :)

We have to forget about the 100% perfeect relationship with our roomate. It wont happen. We will have some fights, but it is important to talk about it and change something if needed, and to listen to each other.

Years
  • Most common conflict: Living with an amoral narcissist/irresponsible drug user/sociopath wannabe.
    The solution: MOVE OUT, RUN AWAY, DON'T LOOK BACK.

Back