• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone want amiibo support?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
    A lot of games so far have amiibo support that, as you all know, allow you to connect your amiibo to the game. For example, Breath of the Wild allows you to do things like summon Wolf Link or Epona, and Smash allow you to scan in characters and fight against them as customised CPU opponents or even alongside the player.

It seems pretty weird that Pokemon still hasn't had amiibo support as of yet. One way that this could be implemented is for clothing options for the player; for example we could have them dress up as Mario or Link. Unfortunately, that comes with the restriction of having it New 3DS exclusive. Anyone hope that these games feature amiibo support?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I doubt they would make these exclusive to New 3DS, unless they're planning on bringing back some 3D features, since the old 3DS can't handle that at all.

Other than that, I don't really care since I don't use amiibos c:

pkmin3033

The content would have to justify the price tag of an Amiibo, and with companies cutting things out of games left and right and selling them back to us at a premium cost on top of the price of the game, I don't trust them not to do the same. It's a scummy business practice and I don't want to see it touching the core Pokemon series. It's essentially paid DLC in figure format, and given Nintendo's inability to stock things properly, it would be more frustrating than exciting. Bad, bad idea.

I've been worried for years now that Game Freak are going to monetize their event Pokemon that they've previously given away for free, or have story content like the Delta Episode as paid DLC as part of a season pass or something. Amiibo are even worse because of their limited availability.

Years
    Main series Pokemon games on the 3DS have had no Amiibo support so far, so it's increasingly likely that it will remain the case for US/UM.

pkmin3033

can you just imagine if they made amiibos for all 802 pokémon? they'd make an absolute killing.
    Actual figures I can't see them doing - production costs would probably be terrifying - but Amiibo cards? I'm amazed they haven't already. And knowing them, they'd incorporate them into the TCG...like the old eReader Pokemon cards they made yeeeears ago.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I'd like some Amiibo support, as long as it's not huge and stuff and instead only gives you a Pokémon or something.

And adding to everyone else, they would probably be cards.

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
    Years
    While I can't say I'm for it, if they did add amiibo support I would prefer it to be something actually interesting. Something that's a bonus, but you're not actually locked out of anything too major if you don't buy it. No costumes, but maybe it could add the character the amiibo depicts to the roster of League challengers. Like if you scanned a Link amiibo you would be able to fight a trainer based on Link. And if you scanned a Pokemon amiibo you would fight a new trainer with that Pokemon as thier signature 'Mon.

pkmin3033

I think Game Freak realizes that paying for specific Pokemon goes fundamentally against the spirit of Pokemon in the first place, so that may be a reason why they haven't done it (yet, at least).

Nintendo might get away with it because people more or less expect it from them and are used to it at this point considering their IPs. Poekmon however, seems to be an entirely different beast on its own in regards to this.
    This is what we all thought about Zelda too, yet Breath of the Wild has a season pass. Nintendo only started putting DLC in their games recently by comparison, first through Amiibo, and then in the more "traditional" manner.

This is another reason I don't want core Pokemon games on the Switch. The second Pokemon makes that jump to a console, it's going to become susceptible to scummy business practices like preorder bonuses and season passes. Amiibo support will be the first sign of changing times, just like it was for other games, and the fans will love it, because figurines and "additional" content than in past generations would have been included for free.

I really hope USUM isn't the start of that downward spiral.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I don't think Pokemon would get amiibo support, at least in the main series. We have games like Yoshi's Woolly World and Super Mario Maker which have amiibo support, but when it comes to Pokemon they seem to be toned down. The Pokemon amiibo in Yoshi only give the generic amiibo shirt outfit, and in Mario they unlock the costumes, but they Pokemon ones are the only ones without a unique voice clip.
    GameFreak seem to be very picky in what games Pokemon is allowed to be put into, so I don't think the main series would ever see amiibo support. I'm not sure how it could work, either.

pkmin3033

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the very reason why people aren't raising pitchforks at Nintendo for including DLC in their games is precisely becaue they took a rather... I'd say creative approach with Amiibos in the first place. Not only are they essentially more or less DLC, but they can also be collectible figures as well for people that want them. It's knocking two birds in one stone essentially; by appealing to people's innate love for Nintendo's lovable mascot plumber and Knight of Hyrule (among others, of course) and making that into collectible interactive figures, they've made amiibos into a market that made a killing (originally, at least, I'm not sure about nowadays).

For Game Freak though, I feel it doesn't really make sense for them to go down that same avenue. I feel that eReader cards were probably the only attempt in remotely making Pokemon transactional and even that died pretty quickly; I can't imagine anything similar doing well.
    ...and people totally ignore the price in relation to the content because of it. You're essentially paying up to four times as much as you would otherwise for what often amounts to simple cosmetics. It's a very clever marketing strategy, but it's absolutely disgusting and we SHOULD be raising pitchforks. Especially considering Nintendo can't even provide adequate stock of the things - STILL - and they're going for outrageously inflated prices online. Don't want, don't buy? It's the same sort of has-and-has-not psychology that fuels the purchase of DLC, only magnified significantly because it's tied to figures. It's manipulative and abhorrent; if anything it makes Nintendo worse than any AAA developer that gets called out for this for doing it openly.

...but we, the gleeful little sheep that we are, lap it up without a complaint, blissfully unaware that we're being taken advantage of.

The eReader never got the same traction that Amiibo did, although I will grant that the Amiibo cards for Animal Crossing died out pretty quick. Although marketing Pokemon Amiibo cards as part of the TCG too would solve that problem, especially if they entered the market at the price of a standard pack. I really am amazed that they haven't already done this...it's likely they only haven't because not all 3DS consoles have Amiibo support. As soon as they move to the Switch, however...the doors are wide open for that kind of stunt.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    ...and people totally ignore the price in relation to the content because of it. You're essentially paying up to four times as much as you would otherwise for what often amounts to simple cosmetics. It's a very clever marketing strategy, but it's absolutely disgusting and we SHOULD be raising pitchforks. Especially considering Nintendo can't even provide adequate stock of the things - STILL - and they're going for outrageously inflated prices online. Don't want, don't buy? It's the same sort of has-and-has-not psychology that fuels the purchase of DLC, only magnified significantly because it's tied to figures. It's manipulative and abhorrent; if anything it makes Nintendo worse than any AAA developer that gets called out for this for doing it openly.

...but we, the gleeful little sheep that we are, lap it up without a complaint, blissfully unaware that we're being taken advantage of.

The eReader never got the same traction that Amiibo did, although I will grant that the Amiibo cards for Animal Crossing died out pretty quick. Although marketing Pokemon Amiibo cards as part of the TCG too would solve that problem, especially if they entered the market at the price of a standard pack. I really am amazed that they haven't already done this...it's likely they only haven't because not all 3DS consoles have Amiibo support. As soon as they move to the Switch, however...the doors are wide open for that kind of stunt.
    Being honest, do you know many people who actually buy amiibo for the content behind them rather than buying them because they're collectible figures? Aside from a few games like Chibi-Robo and (I think?) Yoshi's Wolly World, the stuff you get from amiibos are typically things like items/characters/etc you can already get in-game. I'd wager they're more like cheat codes rather than DLC. If Pokémon were to get amiibo, I'd assume they'd follow this trend and just give you a Pokémon or item (however, if they were to give us amiibo that gave, like, an exclusive mythical or Z-Crystal, then I'd grab my pitchfork as well).

Regardless, I doubt making the jump to the Switch would change anything regarding Pokémon amiibo. All 3DS models can use amiibo (you just need a peripheral for the older models), so I'd bet the reason Pokémon amiibo aren't a thing already is just because GF isn't interested in them.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I think it would be awesome if the game had amiibo support but I doubt Gamefreak would do that, the pokemon amiibos are extremely restricting outside of smash bros and only work on 2 or 3 games, so it's obvious game freak is not interested in them.
    What I'd like the most is if you could get special crossover clothing kind of like in animal crossing, most of my favourite shirts are Mario themed so It's be super cool if my pokemon character could wear a bowser shirt too but eh, it's not really needed.

I don't get what's so wrong with amiibos though, they usually work for multiple games so they are pretty neat, maybe it's just me that I really like collecting figures so I find them pretty cool.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Amiibo support for Pokemon games? I don't think it would be a good idea due to the difficulty in getting hold of them and how they are always understocked.

Also Game Freak seem understandably reluctant to put anything in the main series games behind a paywall. Whilst events frustrate me just as much as the next fan it is preferable to being nickel and dimed by DLC as happens in so many games.

Also Amiibo will likely only be popular Pokemon. If your favourite Pokemon is not one of those it isn't getting an Amiibo. Example the chance of my favourite Pokemon Lilligant getting a figure is very slim.

Years
    Gardy's reasons are why Amiibo for main series Pokemon games will never happen. Especially when you already know how biased the popularity towards certain Pokemon is.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    i don't really care, though it would be nice take my smash bros mewtwo amiibo & get to fight and catch it. with its moves being 4 out of the 5 moves mewtwo can get in smash that are moves it can get in the main series games, namely
    confusion(Side special, default move)
    teleport(Up special, able to learn it via tm 30 in gen 1)
    Shadow Ball(neutral special, able to learn it via tm 30 from gen 2-7 and most noteably mewtwo was the first pokemon to use this move in the first movie before it was put in the games)
    Disable(Down special, another default move)
    Psystrike(Final Smash, mewtwo learns it at lvl 100)
    it would also be intresting if they made it so a smash mewtwo could have one of its alternate colors from smash in the games

Amiibo support for Pokemon games? I don't think it would be a good idea due to the difficulty in getting hold of them and how they are always understocked.

Also Game Freak seem understandably reluctant to put anything in the main series games behind a paywall. Whilst events frustrate me just as much as the next fan it is preferable to being nickel and dimed by DLC as happens in so many games.

Also Amiibo will likely only be popular Pokemon. If your favourite Pokemon is not one of those it isn't getting an Amiibo. Example the chance of my favourite Pokemon Lilligant getting a figure is very slim.
    you guys have forgotten something, namely something that is essentially a precursor to amiibos

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    i don't really care, though it would be nice take my smash bros mewtwo amiibo & get to fight and catch it. with its moves being 4 out of the 5 moves mewtwo can get in smash that are moves it can get in the main series games, namely
    confusion(Side special, default move)
    teleport(Up special, able to learn it via tm 30 in gen 1)
    Shadow Ball(neutral special, able to learn it via tm 30 from gen 2-7 and most noteably mewtwo was the first pokemon to use this move in the first movie before it was put in the games)
    Disable(Down special, another default move)
    Psystrike(Final Smash, mewtwo learns it at lvl 100)
    it would also be intresting if they made it so a smash mewtwo could have one of its alternate colors from smash in the games
    That would be really cool.

Years
    I don't want to see amiibo support, per se, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if they introduced it. Of course, that'd lead to more hurt on my wallet, but if the features are worth utilizing, then obviously I'd be for it. I don't want to be too off on the idea, as Nintendo has rarely led me astray when it comes to Pokemon, and if they decided to implement amiibo support, I'm confident it wouldn't be for something pointless. However, I'm having trouble visualizing exactly what they'd do.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Unless Amiibo support is just used for unlocking mundane things, like exclusive outfits (ie: a Pikachu shirt if you have a Pikachu Amiibo in range) then I'll pass.

Years
    Unless Amiibo support is just used for unlocking mundane things, like exclusive outfits (ie: a Pikachu shirt if you have a Pikachu Amiibo in range) then I'll pass.

When you think about it, the customization options are so limited that I don't think an Amiibo would be enough to improve it. We're still likely going to have another lineup of limited options for both clothes and hairstyles.

Back