• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there any Pokemon you feel should have a change in type?

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
    I agree with most Pokemon's typing, but there's a few here and there that I feel would be improved by having another type added or their main type changed. This is just for fun, nothing to do with keeping type balance in a specific game or anything!

Luxray, at least, looks like it could easily be a Dark/Electric, and it would be a pretty unique typing (aside from Morpeko,of course,but I've had this thought for years before swsh!)

I always thought Hoothoot and Noctowl could easily pass for interesting Psychic types, or at least that they could use a few more Psychic moves their learnsets.

I'm honestly shocked they didn't find some way to add Fairy Typing to Pikachu, even as like a temporary thing like a mega evo, since he's usually their biggest gimmick carrier next to Charizard!

I also wish that they'd have given Ampharos access to more Dragon moves, but that's just me I think uwu

pkmin3033

All fighting types should be something else. Fighting shouldn't exist.

Also I've always felt that the Lake Guardians should be dual Psychic/Fairy type...I mean, they're based off of fairies/pixies etc.

Years
    Also I've always felt that the Lake Guardians should be dual Psychic/Fairy type...I mean, they're based off of fairies/pixies etc.
    adding Jirachi into this mix. already said it a bunch of times before but i truly believe a Fairy/Steel typing would suit it better.

ninestarryskies

Years
    Oh yeah! Mew would be suited to Fairy too, at least in the prankster sense, but i do kind of like it in Psychic. As far as Fighting types go, I appreciate it for what it is, but it's not exactly my cup of tea. Do you have any suggestions for what it should be instead, or do you just feel other existing types would suit fighters better?

Years
    I will be forever pissed that Grapploct and Clobbopus aren't water/fighting. You find them in the water and they're literally based off of ocean creatures!

ninestarryskies

Years
    Oh my god I forgot about that! You're absolutely right! They could have been straight Water even and it would have been cool. There's nothing about Grappleoct to even suggest Fighting except his face marks, he's just an octopus!! D<

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    Gyarados as a Water/Dragon type, would make more sense for it to be used by Dragon Tamers in that case

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Technically should have made Incineroar Fire/Fighting. Prefers Fire/Dark in terms of variety.

Grass/Fairy for Flabebe, Floette, and Florges.

Ice for Suicune, instead of Water. Looks like an Ice type.

Votes to remove the Ground typing from several Rock types (Golem's line, at least) too.

Edit: Cannot decide on Porygon. Steel? Psychic? Both?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Technically should have made Incineroar Fire/Fighting. Prefers Fire/Dark in terms of variety.

It's important to keep in mind that Dark is more of "evil" or "dirty fighter" type, that's why it has moves like Bite and Crunch. (And also why Dark is weak to fighting, the good guys always beat the bad guys).

Since Incineroar is based on heels (the bad guys) in wrestling, the Dark type fits pretty well.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    It's important to keep in mind that Dark is more of "evil" or "dirty fighter" type, that's why it has moves like Bite and Crunch. (And also why Dark is weak to fighting, the good guys always beat the bad guys).

Since Incineroar is based on heels (the bad guys) in wrestling, the Dark type fits pretty well.
    Views Bite and Crunch as a consequence of being a cat, rather than a dirty fighter. Learns Bite and Crunch as Litten and Torracat. Notes Riolu and Lucario receiving both via egg moves in Generation 7 also (not cats, but shh).

Checked out Pokedex entries. Indicates being violent and selfish. Scores a point for Dark. Specifies "no-holds-barred battles" in Sword's entry. Interprets that less as dirty fighting. Veers towards standard fighter tropes with both Ultra entries.
    Ultra Sun said:
    Although it's rough mannered and egotistical, it finds beating down unworthy opponents boring. It gets motivated for stronger opponents.
    Ultra Moon said:
    When its fighting spirit is set alight, the flames around its waist become especially intense.

Makes a decent case either way. Leads the charge for the first triple typing.

One more: Rock/Dark for Lycanroc Midnight form. Differentiates the forms more.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Views Bite and Crunch as a consequence of being a cat, rather than a dirty fighter. Learns Bite and Crunch as Litten and Torracat. Notes Riolu and Lucario receiving both via egg moves in Generation 7 also (not cats, but shh).

I was saying that that's why those moves are Dark typed - because when you bite someone in a fight it's considered dishonorable / dirty - not that Incineroar had Bite and Crunch because it was a Dark type (although they certainly help).

Checked out Pokedex entries.

It's (English ?) Pokemon Category is "The Heel Pokémon", where heel is the wrestling term for bad guys, so there's another point for Dark.

One more: Rock/Dark for Lycanroc Midnight form. Differentiates the forms more.
    I absolutely agree with this though, the dark typing would absolutely complement the "Big Bad Wolf" thing it has going on.

I still keep forgetting the Flabébé line and Comfey aren't grass types. I mean, they're plants or very similar to it! Comfey I can understand to an extent it just carries flowers that aren't actually part of its body (that I know of), but Flabébé?

Would love to see Golduck as a psychic type too. I know its Japanese name doesn't have any references to psychic in it like Psyduck, but still, would be really fitting.

Edit: Cannot decide on Porygon. Steel? Psychic? Both?

this is a really cool suggestion - I'm down for both, or one of those two!

ninestarryskies

Years
    I like Porygon as Normal but I would love it to be a dual type alongside that!!

Lycanroc Midnight really Should be part Dark, and until recently I actually thought Golduck was part Psy!

I remember seeing a possible leak for SWSH that mentioned a Galarian Houndour line that was Dark/Ice, I still wish that was real unu

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Pinsir is an odd Pokemon. For a while I thought it to be Bug/Fighting. I felt disappointed when I realized that it was a pure Bug type, especially since both Scyther and Heracross have a second type. I liked that they made Mega Pinsir Bug/Flying but as far as the original form is concerned I think Bug/Ground could have been a good typing for it.

As far as Porygon is concerned I think it fits in this really awkward category of typeless Pokemon that doesn't exist but I feel like it should (similar to how Curse was originally typeless before they made it into a Ghost type move). That would fit well with Porygon's virtual nature.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Literally any of Generation V's Ice-types should've at least been dual-typed. Maybe Cubchoo and Beartic could've been Ice/Normal or Ice/Water?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i've been playing a crystal hack that adds second typings to some pokemon. like meganium gets fairy, feraligatr gets dark, typhlosion gets ground, there are some other good ones too. not everything needs a second type though, is what i've realized in playing this hack where they gave a LOT of pokemon a second type. it makes battling a little hectic at times when there are weird combos that you could normally resist, but now bc of your second type, the damage is neutral. a really good example of this is that they made electivire electric/fighting. and he has shit defense, so my only saving grace w him was resisting flying...but when i evolved him and he got that type, he lost his resistance, gained weakness to psychic and fairy...that fighting type just did not help him at all.

but anyway, that's all not to say there aren't some that aren't deserved or wouldn't work! hoothoot/noctowl are flying/ghost in this hack and i actually think that works well for them (could also see psychic working, too). misdreavus/mismagius got fairy added which i again think is fun for them, psychic would have also been cool i think but oooh x4 weak to ghost and dark wouldn't be cute lol. luxray getting dark type added is a popular one i think, aha. sceptile being part dragon would have been fun, plus it sucks he's the only one without a second typing for gen 3 starters.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I always thought Glalie was Ice/Dark, but it's only Ice. I was surprised that Grapploct wasn't Water/Fighting since you kinda find it in the water.

Serperior should have been Grass/Dragon. Samurott could have been Water/Steel (samurai armor) since Emboar took fighting...

Dragalge should have been part Water type, but Poison/Dragon is so good... I'd probably change it to Water/Dragon with an ability that negates Poison type attacks.

I agree that the Lake trio (Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf) could easily be a Fairy typing. Same goes for Mew and the other tiny/pixie mythical legendaries.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't understand why Mawile is a Fairy type. It learns maybe 4 or 5 Fairy moves at most. Meanwhile it learns way more Dark type moves (more than Steel moves probably), it's predominantly a dark color, it's the "Deceiver Pokémon" in the Pokédex, and it's based on a vengeful yōkai. It should be Steel-Dark type.

Back