• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are you a boy or are you a girl?

Years
Pokemon X and Y, like all other main series Pokemon games since Pokemon Crystal, gave us the option to play as the male character, Calem, or the female character, Serena.

So what gender did you choose to play as in Pokemon X and Y? Did you choose the opposite gender? Why did you choose to play as the gender you chose?

Years
I picked the girl because...er, only partially because I'm a girl as well. That's never stopped me from playing male protagonists before though. It's also because I thought she looked better - but only slightly! The guy was cool too. I just thought the girl would be a better pick for me right now.

Years
I played as Serena, the female character obviously. Always been tradition for me to play as the female since I am female myself, and also she happens to get all the good stuff when it comes to the customization so it's a win-win.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
Female, but I swap just about every time I play a Pokemon game, regardless of the generation. The only exception is 3rd gen on the older games, 'cause it amuses me to think that I'm running around as a tiny old man rather than a kid in a white cap.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
I picked the boy, if I could choose again I'd choose the girl tho.
Just for fun, and I would probably play more around with the
character customization.

Takoto

Illustrator
Years
In X, my main playthrough, I chose the dude because I'm a dude and with character customization I could make him look similar to how I look IRL. With Y though, I played as Serena.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I played as a female because I'm female. The only games I first started as male were those were the protagonists were only available as male.

If I were to obtain the opposite version though, I would usually make that file begin as a male trainer. I dunno, I think of the protagonists as fraternal twins because I'm also a fraternal twin. It's always a call back to my brother playing the Pokemon games along side me up (until the 5th generation when he lost interest).

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
In X version I play as Kalem and in Y supposedly as Serena. But I lend my Y version to my young sister lately hahaha!

Years
As many of the females said when they played the game, I had the same reason, though opposite.

I played as a male, since i'm a male. It's just a tradition for me to be honest to the game. Though I would've chosen the female in numerous other games, due to their exquisite design.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think Calem is really ugly so I always play as Serena when I restart my Y.

Years
I've always pick a girl since I'm also a girl and always connect the protagonist with myself, haha. I think I would pick a boy if I kept a second file for the generation, but it's always simple 'ole me with the same ign. :)

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
Since I have both X and Y I dedicated one game to each protagonist; Calem for X (since it was my first) and Serena for Y, which was my second playthrough. I thought both characters were really well developed and enjoyed the customisation options offered. Here's to hoping it's expanded over time, rather that removed like in ORAS!

Back