• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Baby Pokemon - Yay, or Nay?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Baby Pokémon are the lowest stage of Pokemon evolution. The concept was introduced in Generation II, along with breeding (sometimes with a certain item) which is typically the only way to obtain them.

How do you feel about the baby pokemon? Do you like them? Were they nessesary, or not? Do you have an especially favourite / least favourite baby pokemon? Are there any baby pokemon you feel that "aren't" baby pokemon at all?

To give you a list of baby pokemon:

Pichu
    Cleffa
    Igglypuff
    Togepi
    Tyrouge
    Smoochum
    Elekid
    Magby
    Wynaut
    Budew
    Azurill
    Chingling
    Bonsly
    Mime Jr.
    Happiny
    Munchlax
    Riolu
    Mantyke

Years
    While I do like a handful of the baby Pokémon, like Elekid, Magby, Azurill and Budew, most others don't excite me that much. If nothing else, it makes getting their evolutions more interesting, at least. They weren't completely unnecessary, but I don't think I would have added them. I will give them credit for the fact that they always have at least three perfect IVs in Generation VI, though.

But my least favorite...i'm sorry, but Riolu. One, everyone and their friggin' grandma uses it in B2W2 and XY (I used it in the former once, but only because it was female). Two, the fact that you can only evolve it with happiness during the daytime is a major hassle, especially if you're trying to breed them.

Years
    I'm thinking GF has abandoned the idea of baby pokemon after gen IV.

I don't see the difference between many unevolved non-baby pokemon and baby pokemon.

I'd rather all or most pokemon that can evolve, and are at the lowest stage of evolution be considered baby pokemon, if we are going to have baby pokemon at all.

Of this group, I do like Pichu, Budew, and Togepi.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2023
    I think they're a good aspect of the series.
    For one thing, they add some logic--it'd be pretty weird for a full-grown jynx or wobbuffet to just pop out of an egg.(GF needs to apply that logic to kangaskon. Seriously.)
    Second--cute. Cute is good.
    Third--they add some interesting-ness to evolution. Even if its a bit challenging in some cases, its still kind of interesting I guess.
    Bonus points for 3 perfect IVs in gen VI.

Adding baby pokemon wasn't a necessity, but it gives the series that unique little touch, I think.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    They're okay but ultimately they're just POINTLESS. Why would I want a way weaker version of a pokemon? I think cleffa and igglybuff are two of the cutest things ever crafted by man but still there's really no need. I also feel like we're done seeing babies for older Pokemon now that megas are the new thing, but you never know.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm not a fan of them. It just feels like they added something "cutesy" to appeal to the female audience and as we all know: everyone loves babies.

Well, actually I don't care about them, but what I do care about is completing a Pokedex once in a while in one of the games and baby Pokemon always end up being the last thing missing (alongside trade evolutions). It's really annoying spending time breeding for baby Pokemon, which will end up being boxed after they hatched, especially when you're like me and you give the parents the wrong Incense item. Who came up with that stupid idea?

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    They were created to fulfil a purpose, to add pre evolutions to pre existing pokemon (hence the necessity of held items during breeding). As to how sensible that purpose was, I'm not sure :')

I like them because they enable their evolutions to gain decent moves (like cute charm) which would otherwise be inaccessible. By the same token, pokemon that are born 'babies' lack access to some of the heart scale moves which pokemon whom were born full adult can learn. This means some pokemon have split move trees, which mixes up the game when battling.

I like that they were included, for the diversity they bring to their adult forms. But do I like them? Not necessarily...

By the way am I the only one who didn't realise budew was a baby for ages!? I just thought it was a pre evolved pokemon, lol

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
    So baby Pokémon have terrible stats and are really useless in true battles. But they can be super cute at times... A part of pokemon is not just battling, but also looks. For that reason, I can see how baby Pokémon were nessisary.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    I thought it was an interesting way of fleshing out evolution lines. Lil babez like Elekid and Magby are just the sweetest, whilst others like Budew and Bonsly, I'm skeptical about. I wonder if they'll add any more 'baby' 'mons in the future. I hope that they do.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2015
    I honestly don't really have an opinion on baby Pokemon. They don't really have a practical use in battling, unless you want to challenge yourself, which might be fun. Some of them are cute-ish I guess, although that doesn't really get you any points in my book.

Honestly they're more of an annoyance because they evolve through happiness, which you can't easily keep track of. Then again, when it DOES evolve it's a cool feeling because it's always a surprise.

So yeah, kind of annoying but not so much that I hate them. I personally wouldn't have added them if I was in charge of pokeymanz.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I like them as pokemon, but dislike the breeding mechanic. It makes it feel like they're more of an add on. It makes existing pokemon more interesting though. However, I really dislike how they made Riolu a baby pokemon. I don't see why it couldn't just be a base stage.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Easily the most useless Pokémon, especially ones which were introduce after their evolved forms. Complete waste of time, plus they just come off as a lazy way to "cutify" a previously existing Pokémon.

Years
    Save for Elekid, Magby, Smoochum, and Munchlax, I thought they were overall pretty stupid. Then Electabuzz and Magmar got evolutions, so Elekid and Magby dropped into the "overall pretty stupid" category.

Honestly, the only Pokemon that I wish had a "baby" form is Eevee. In the same vein, I also wouldn't mind seeing a Normal-type evolution for Eevee.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't really mind them. The seem more like easter eggs than anything that would have any effect on gameplay though.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
    baby pokemon have lowest Attack and Defense stats (ex- togepi) they are useless in the battles.
    Pichu,Elekid and Bonsly are ok.I dont really like baby Pokemons :|. apart from battles baby pokemons are so cute ^^
    i think Baby pokemons are not nessesary and somewhat stupid category in the pokemon world.o_O

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2015
    Nay they don't add anything mechanicly to their evos and there a general waste of PRECIOUS PRECIOUS hexadecimal space and they arent that cute

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Sure, why not? It does make sense having them around, as they help explain how certain Pokémon were after initially hatching and whatnot, if that makes sense, haha.

Of all baby Pokémon, I would say one of my most favorites, off top of my head, is Togepi. I've grown sort of attached to it, generally, thanks to it being one of Misty's go-to Pokémon and whatnot in anime, making various appearances throughout.

On top of that, Togepi is also related to Togekiss quite heavily, which is one of my all-time favorites (both in terms of appearance, and competitive; I don't feel much could actually compare to it).

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    I think some of them were handled okay. And some of them are too darn cute to get rid of. You can only breed Munchlax by having Snorlax hold the full incense, and so on and so forth. So those are completely avoidable altogether, so the baby Pokemon don't bother me too much and let's be honest, how many of the evolutionary lines that have baby Pokemon do you actually use?

. . .besides Rioulu. I hate Lucario and it's stupid face for robbing Mewtwo. Psychic all day you stupid piece of [404.ERROR: ADJECTIVE NOT FOUND] die Lucario.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    Personally I find them a bit unnecessary, I mean the concept isn't a total head scratcher but to me they just seem a bit pointless. Yes, they're cute and I guess that draws in more love for them but, did we really need a pre evolved form of Pikachu?

Back