• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: best coast california

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • The kids on my bus one time had a huge paper hornet war. Everyone was making them and firing at everyone else, even at point blank range. I admit it, it was fun. Our bus driver was absolutely terrible. You weren't allowed to make paper hornets, let alone shoot them, but she "didn't see any of it happen".

I think kids are affected by pop culture, but not as bad as everyone makes it seem. I remember I was watching TV when an ad comes on for Miley the Movement or whatever. I saw a twelve year old girl with a shirt that said, "Drugs, Sex, Money" on it. Miley immediately walked over and complimented her shirt saying it was a great one. This, is why I hate pop culture.

Infernape

fire power!
    Years
  • I don't think stuff affects kids in a bad way. When I was younger and lived in Chile, Backstreet Boys where the craze for guys and girls. Even the adults where all crazy over them. I think the only thing my mom didn't want my sister to be influenced by was Christina Aguilera, which I never understood

Years
  • Surely not all of pop culture can be a good or a bad influence to kids, but when you have kids listening to songs with either excessive profanity or songs with a lot of drug references, that is where things can get pretty bad.

Years
  • Of course pop culture can be a negative influence on kids. The lyrics allowed in songs in today's society can be quite foul, especially in rap. You can't tell me that these vulgar lyrics have no influence on the kids that listen to them.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • IMHO, these vulgar and often mindless lyrics send a message of ignorant consumerism and blind breeding to younger audiences. Those who follow and emulate such behavior are less intelligent and self-aware than those who don't. It's just a eugenics mechanism that weeds out intelligent individuals, leading to total idiocracy, simply.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Country music is special, in a way. Some of it is just brainwashing crap, but other songs are what you would consider true American culture. A good comparative example would be Brand New Girlfriend by Steve Holy and Remember When by Alan Jackson. The latter rings true as something that holds emotional and spiritual weight, you know? Then again, I when I was little all we used to listen to was country music, and the genre was at a peak in that time, so…

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Mm yeah. I'd listen to Country than Rap any day because at least some songs in Country make sense and have a meaning to them. Meanwhile rap is just... rap. I'm not too sure how else to put it but I have no heard a single rap song that would give me any sort of emotion while a country song or two would have. There are a few good artists that I like listening to though it's more on the country rock side of the genre.

Years
  • Hmm, if there are two genres of music I can't stand listening to, they're country and rap/hip hop. Not sure why I'd hate country though, considering where I live, but I just do...

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Doesn't everything have their own unique flaws? That's what makes everything unique, and it's also why taste in music is utterly subjective.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • My sister and her friends worship Miley. If she does something on TV, they'll follow it, and that's....wow. :|

edit: OOOOOKAY I DIDN'T NOTICE THERE WAS A PAGE 70. i just got home from work okay ;;

mmm i love me some bass in my head/earphones. I need bass. It keeps me going.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I like bits and pieces of all genres, but most of what I listen to is metal. I used to really dislike heavier music, but it definitely has grown on me. <3 I still am learning to understand unclean vocals, though haha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back