• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bisexuality

Maya

Fairy-type Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I do believe that sexuality is more of a spectrum. In the same way, no person is fully masculine or feminine; such traits make it very difficult for sexuality to have such black and white categorisation. I'm not sure whether it's possible to be fully 50/50 without a preference, but then again, I wouldn't know.

Devil in the Mirror

We Stitch These Wounds
    Years
    They think things like that and have trouble accepting it because people don't like what's different. It's not a good thing, but it's the way a lot of people are. We are capable of moving past it, especially if people are exposed to this stuff at a young age. As someone who identifies as bisexual (don't like the word pansexual as sexuality is about sex not gender, though I am panromantic) this attitude that you're either gay or straight and that's all you can be used to really annoy the piss outta me. These days, I don't care what people think of that. It's no longer legal here for people to discriminate based on sexuality, so I do my best not to let backwards attitudes bother me. Besides, trying to deal with being trans and misgendered all the time is much more troublesome than that ever was, and I've always been one to embrace my differences regardless of what people think about it.

Of course, I just think we need to stop making assumptions about sexuality at all, and just be chill regardless of who someone else is dating.

Years
    I didn't know two of my friends were bi until years later.

Anyway, I think it's a case of "straight until proven gay". The societal image for a long time is of straight people (whether it was thought of in terms like that or not). That makes it a "default" assumption to lots of people. But then of course there are gay people. And the issue with bi acceptance is partially because of the history of gay culture.

There's a lot of history of gay people struggling to come out and be accepted, and that includes a lot of going in and out of the closet. Gay culture that's in the public eye isn't a terribly long history relatively speaking, and people feeling safe to come out isn't either, so there was (is?) a lot of cases of gay people being in the closet and still living "straight" lives. In other words, people who seem to be in opposite-sex and same-sex relationships at different times.

So then if you're a gay person who's experienced that kind of situation, or know someone who has (and from what I hear from a friend gay men have all heard stories like this at the least) you might think that a person who goes from opposite-sex relationship to a same-sex relationship is doing something similar.

Or it might be that you're worried that the idea of bisexuality diminishes or in some way delegitimizes your own position of being gay. It muddies the waters. "If that person can be attracted to the same sex and still have a hetero relationship, why can't you?"

Or, yeah, it could be just people being ignorant.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I think education is probably more effective than being outright judgmental quite frankly, but I think that there comes a point - say the 21st Century - where we as a society should probably have worked some things out.

Bisexuality is well documented, it's a thing. There are very clearly people attracted to both sexes. Denying that is like denying climate change. It might not be immediate if a person is bisexual but that's true of all sexuality so it's not an excuse.
    kinda late response but I only remembered this just now

While it's true that we "should" have eliminated things like racism/sexism/homophobia/etc, and it's kinda pathetic I guess that society hasn't, that general sort of attitude is not terribly helpful in making positive social change. To quote someone far more intelligent than I:
    Kanzler said:
    Look, I don't think that it's beyond anybody's imagination that if you label people and call them names that are really loaded (like sexist, racist, etc) you're going to offend them and alienate them. Attacking and denigrating somebody's identity is not necessarily the same thing as denouncing that kind of behaviour. My problem with this technique that is that it makes things personal, and that's usually not going to convince anybody when you make things personal.

Now, you might say you're in the right to do that, that you have the moral high ground, and you wouldn't be wrong. You certainly would be in a position to call an egg an egg but it's not really about what you have the right to do, is it? What it's about is convincing people who think differently from you to act in a way that helps everybody.

And I think that's more what Alex was getting at. I think so anyway, I can't read minds.

Years

So we hope that bigots will suddenly start listening to facts when they've been ignoring them for years? I like to think I'm something of a pacifist all things considered, but I don't think being nice is going to help. I want to create a world where being a bigot is the thing that gets you excluded from society.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    So we hope that bigots will suddenly start listening to facts when they've been ignoring them for years? I like to think I'm something of a pacifist all things considered, but I don't think being nice is going to help. I want to create a world where being a bigot is the thing that gets you excluded from society.[/b]
    Hm...I guess I sort of see your stance. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but you feel that playing the nice card won't get us anywhere in terms of convincing them otherwise - right?

How I sort of look at this situation is this. There are two roads you can go: you can either call them a [insert derogatory classification]ist or you can try and reason with them. And honestly, both can work based on the individual or audience that you are conversing with. It varies based on the person, essentially.

Through my own personal discussions, whether you may agree with or not, my approach I've concluded with is if you straight up call someone a racist, sexist, etc. that gets the person on the defensive which inevitably derails the whole conversation and purpose of what you are trying to achieve. The individual is so wrapped up in protecting their own ego that the whole purpose is lost. However, if you try to understand their point of view before you do this/try to reason them otherwise, you are creating a neutral conversing ground to work off of instead of one where you pissed off the individual you are trying to convince otherwise.

Do I wish individuals who do not accept bisexuality were excluded from society? Of course. I think we should try to be accepting of individuals as much as possible - that's sort of the foundation of what our country - i.e. America, at least for me - was built off of. However, unfortunately, one needs to take the higher ground and approach the matter delicately, as if the situation becomes these individuals are outright excluded but we don't try to make things outright, than their unaccepting attitudes may potentially spread to others and the problem becomes worse. Does more harm than good, essentially.

Bottom line is you're going to run into people who suck and want to make you rip your hair out. However, if you match their ignorance with blatant insults or labels like racist, sexist, etc., nothing productive is going to result. We can think these things, but we can't say them if your purpose is to convince them otherwise in my opinion.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So we hope that bigots will suddenly start listening to facts when they've been ignoring them for years? I like to think I'm something of a pacifist all things considered, but I don't think being nice is going to help. I want to create a world where being a bigot is the thing that gets you excluded from society.
    It's not like the current strategy is doing wonders or anything, maybe it's even (part of) why it's taking forever for change to occur. At worst it's no better than the people on the other side really. Think for a moment: someone is trying to change your opinion on something. Their reasoning is fairly convincing, and they have evidence to boot. But they're also a total asshole about it, they're also saying that you are Literally HitlerTM because you don't currently share their opinion. Are you really going to be inclined to change your opinion in that case? I kinda doubt it. Or maybe you really might, but other people in the same situation, the majority of the human race? They aren't so....rational.

It's not so much about "playing nice" as it is doing away with an ineffective strategy and adopting one with a higher chance of success. I think it's time to stop viewing people--whether we like it or not, these are other human beings at the end of the day (most of them anyway, there's probably a few lizard people amongst them)--as hated enemies that need to be vanquished, to stop viewing this as a war to be fought instead of a problem that needs to be solved. I don't see the point in trying to fight fire with fire, with feeding into a vicious cycle.

@Johnny (Audy/Jake, @ mentions when?) I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing with me or not even commenting on my post at all or....

Years

I don't think tiptoeing around the problem is a method to solve it. It's just a matter of fact, these people are racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. I'm not standing here saying every person who feels that way is the next Fuhrer - I'm stating a matter of fact.

I'm not the type to just blindly hurl unsubstantiated insults, I'm always happy to collude anything I say with evidence in a civil discussion. It's not so much

"HERP DERP RACIST/SEXIST/HOMOPHOBE BLAH HITLER DERP!!" it's "You're acting like a bigot. This is why and this is why that is wrong."

I like to think I inhabit somewhere between the two ends of the spectrum of how to deal with ignorance in these matters.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    This is partially true. However as recent years have shown us, people are coming out in droves. The 1/5 odds of not being straight have quickly become around 1/3. (These numbers are from a study done at my college.)

Out of curiosity, what do you mean with 1/3 odds of not being straight?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    One in three people are either Gay or Bisexual (at the college I go to at least.)

Are you going to a college known for it's LGTBQ community?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I have no experience with any of this stuff, and I can still easily understand most of it. The fact that some people can't understand people getting attracted to other people that are the same gender as other people is kinda sad tbh :/

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    In my experience when people have denied the existence of bisexuality, it's usually divided down gender lines:

If a guy says he's bisexual, he's actually gay.
    If a girl says she's bisexual, she's really straight.

So I've always assumed the reason they don't believe in it was rather self-explanatory. There are many gay people (especially men) who do use bisexuality as a stepping stone to coming out, and there are quite a few teenage girls out there who pretend to be bisexual and make out with each other for attention - and they do get the attention, which ruins it for genuine bisexuals who are struggling to get people to take them seriously.

The deniers just have a limited experience which has prejudiced them against the concept altogether.

Sword Master

You underestimate my power!
    Years
    That doesn't make it a difficult or confusing concept to understand, it means people aren't trying hard enough to keep up with the world/get out of their narrative bubble.

Many people simply don't care enough to understand, because they usually living their lives, nothing to do with their narratives.

Sword Master

You underestimate my power!
    Years
    It's not like the current strategy is doing wonders or anything, maybe it's even (part of) why it's taking forever for change to occur. At worst it's no better than the people on the other side really. Think for a moment: someone is trying to change your opinion on something. Their reasoning is fairly convincing, and they have evidence to boot. But they're also a total asshole about it, they're also saying that you are Literally HitlerTM because you don't currently share their opinion. Are you really going to be inclined to change your opinion in that case? I kinda doubt it. Or maybe you really might, but other people in the same situation, the majority of the human race? They aren't so....rational.

It's not so much about "playing nice" as it is doing away with an ineffective strategy and adopting one with a higher chance of success. I think it's time to stop viewing people--whether we like it or not, these are other human beings at the end of the day (most of them anyway, there's probably a few lizard people amongst them)--as hated enemies that need to be vanquished, to stop viewing this as a war to be fought instead of a problem that needs to be solved. I don't see the point in trying to fight fire with fire, with feeding into a vicious cycle.

@Johnny (Audy/Jake, @ mentions when?) I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing with me or not even commenting on my post at all or....
    I feel this should be said more, especially with how toxic debates have become, stereotyping a whole group of people is not ok.

Back