• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen black and white

H e a p.

Banned
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 23, 2022
    YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PERSON!! I LIKE THE DAMN STORY!!!

...Did I just spill that fact out loud?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think Unova is a great region, and I appreciated how they tried to make a more decent plot.

But no, BW are among my less favorites because of one reason: its Pokémon. I don't think having "all new" Pokémon was a good idea when many of them felt like Pokédex fillers or Kanto replacements.

If you don't have enough ideas for 150+ original Pokémon, better just create less and mix them with old ones. If there were regional variants back then, some of the Unova Pokémon could have been just "Unovian?" forms of (mostly) Kanto Pokémon.

I like BW2 a lot more, because I don't struggle to find Pokémon I like for my team, and because the Challenge mode was an excelent addition.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Yes!!

To me, Black and White was the end of the good times.

Gen 6 and 7 didn't really do it for me.
    Gen 8 is just ehh.

Gen 2 - 5 are the best of times~
    Gen 5 really hit me good. Lots of areas to go to, a decent enough story, a superb sequel.
    The Sprite work, unf!!
    The Music, gooosh!
    The Designs, Heck!

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • To say I wholeheartedly agree with this thread would be an understatement. Let's just say if I could deliver a thousand gazillion likes to the op, I would.

I mean what can I say that wasn't already said about gen5 on this thread? Quite honestly, everyone here has said my thoughts with a few exceptions I'll get to later. Most importantly, every game from that generation was beyond awesomesauce, I had tons of fun following the leaks for the generation that I somehow managed to catch (did you know that exactly 11 years ago we got a massive leak for gen5 that included many new mons, the professor, and some other basic stuff too? I'll put a link to the one from this website if anyone is interested) and for my first full generation, it was just amazing altogether.

Someone earlier mentioned that it was lame how BW1 only had new creatures, and while I was bothered by it initially, I really don't mind it anymore. If it's because of designs then I also don't really care since that's kind of objective. Of course I can see how other people are bothered by it and won't really try and defend it too much, but over time, I grew to think it's fine.
    And honestly, I think only new creatures is far better than making the new creatures super rare. Thankfully in my opinion, that was only an issue in gen7. Gen8 made most of the new guys as common as the old guys and gen6 had so many choices, many of them being more common there compared to their original games that I really didn't care.

But most importantly, am I the only one who while still thought gen5 was outstanding, also still liked all the generations that came after?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Gen 5 had a lot of good things. Best sprites in the series, very good story for a Pokemon game, a lot of cool new Pokemon, interesting EXP mechanic, some interesting looking areas, etc.. Imo, Ghetsis was also harder to beat than Cynthia.

It also came with some "interesting" design decisions. The original BW not only locked you into only gen 5 only for the main story. It also pushed all the good TMs into the post game, as well.

As for the bad things: this generation was where I felt the linearity the hardest. The region is so boring in terms of design: it's just a circle. And every time I ran into a toll booth I got halted and sent back. The one with the dancing guys really made me angry, simply because of how blatant the "we block your path because we can"-message was. <_<

Years
  • Someone earlier mentioned that it was lame how BW1 only had new creatures, and while I was bothered by it initially, I really don't mind it anymore.

Going to admit I felt the same way before. It used to upset me that I couldn't pick from any old favorites, though over time I realized just how much I appreciated that fresh take and really enjoy it now. Maybe it's because it took a lot of time for some of the Unova designs to grow on me lol. There were definitely no shortage of good mons to use in BW, but since this was the first time we had to use new Pokémon only it may've just been the 'wow, did they really do this?' factor making me not like it so much back then.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Those would have been the games I grew up with, but we were too poor. Then in 2017 I bought it with my own money.

Still enjoyed gen 5, but I think I would have liked it way more if I grew up with it.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Someone earlier mentioned that it was lame how BW1 only had new creatures, and while I was bothered by it initially, I really don't mind it anymore. If it's because of designs then I also don't really care since that's kind of objective. Of course I can see how other people are bothered by it and won't really try and defend it too much, but over time, I grew to think it's fine.

I don't think that the issue was just having all new Pokémon, but also how some of them felt like obvious rehashes of already existing ones.

Imo less new Pokémon but more unique is better than more new Pokémon but at the cost of some of them being basically the Unova Machop/Zubat/Drowzee/Poliwag/Tauros/etc. or lazy ideas like green monkey, red monkey & blue monkey.

Of course Unova does have many unique Pokémon, like when you look at Golurk, Chandelure or Cofagrigus, you certainly wouldn't think "oh, this is the Unova Gengar wannabe", because they (and many others) do have enough personality and singularity to stand out on their own rather than trying to be the Unova version of something else.

PageEmp

Years
  • I don't think that the issue was just having all new Pokémon, but also how some of them felt like obvious rehashes of already existing ones.

Imo less new Pokémon but more unique is better than more new Pokémon but at the cost of some of them being basically the Unova Machop/Zubat/Drowzee/Poliwag/Tauros/etc. or lazy ideas like green monkey, red monkey & blue monkey.

Yes, I can understand that. I suppose yeah, reusing similar concepts might be kinda off to some people. I mean, I did say I understand why some people would be bothered by only new creatures and did feel that your reasoning could be part of the issue.

Years
  • Gen 5 Is on my top 5? maybe top 3 games. I think it peaked when it comes to mixing pixel sprites with a modern animated look. While I don't really mind the new 3D models, I think Pokemon games still haven't managed to fully do the transition into 3D in a way that feels organic and reminiscent of the original aesthetic.

Back to BW, I loved the little customizable C-Gear. The Dream World as a concept seemed wild to me at the time. What do you mean I can transfer Pokemon from my console to my PC and interact with them?? I loved the seasons feature and I wish season exclusive forms made a come back. The OST was great too.

PageEmp

Years
  • Reviving thread, who else also think that this outstanding generation was exactly that?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Gen 5 definitely stood out! And I love the gameplay and general feel, but I did always miss the old pokémon ahah. Like others, I don't think it was a good move to only have completely new pokémon in the whole main game. BW2 did save that a bit, of course. And I still really loved that there was more interesting background and plot in Unova compared to, well, any of the previous games really. They did that part really well and even turned it into an emotional thing :3

Back