• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you speak any other languages?

t0gekiss

I can speak welsh, and I'm currently learning French in school. What about you?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Nah, unfortunately not. During school I did learn French and Spanish but ended up dropping them in favour of two other subjects at a later stage. I kinda wish I did continue with at least one language but I could just never hold an interest for either of them.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Portuguese is my native language. I started learning English at around 5 years old and am now quite proficient at it.
    I can understand Spanish well (written mostly, when spoken I only understand it if people slow down), and can speak it decently enough. And that's about it.

Years
  • I'm fluent in sarcasm and bullshit, does that count?

In seriousness, I've studied French and Italian at school and tried to self-teach Estonian for the lolz but I've totally forgotten the latter and only know a few simple words/phrases in the former two. I'm not that great at languages and have no interest in travel or anything so I don't need them.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I wish I could speak more than just English

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • When I learn languages I tend to fall into this rut of being able to understand way more than I can spit out, so talking is harder for me :< Other than English, I can understand conversational Spanish and Japanese pretty well, though. I want to get a lot better at those first, then maybe Italian (my mom can speak it) or Chinese.

Years
  • Greek is my main language and i started learning English at 8 years old and i finished at 14 I think.
    That's why my English is not that good now, i forgot it. Especially the grammar...

Years
  • Besides English, I'm fluent in Russian. Was born in Russia but my speaking skills aren't 100% native since I only ever speak it when I'm at home with family. I can't grasp the more complex words. Outside home I speak English only.

Know minor French also and can probably translate some things but it's nothing too serious. I'd love to learn more languages some day!

Years
  • I used to speak Japanese fairly well, but it's so rusty that I can't speak or listen very much unless I'm really concentrating.

Zodkiel

The True Despair
    Years
  • I can speak English, French, Japanese, and Russian. I know a very small amount of German as well. Reasons being, I'm Canadian so French and English are like "duh". And I have German heritage so I decided I wanted to learn German. And I just like Russian and Japanese so I learned them.

Sirfetch’d

Not really. I used to be pretty fluent in Spanish after taking it for two years but it has been over 6 years since I have spoken any and I've forgotten the majority of it. I think that I might retake some courses to refresh my memory on the language.

Years
  • I really want to learn other languages.
    I want to learn Japanese but I feel thats going to be difficult to learn and I even struggle with French sometimes.
    I know a few phrases in Polish as I am friends with several polish people.
    I only speak English and I am doing GSCE French at school which is improving and I am happy about.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Spanish is my first language, I think I'm fluent in English but sometimes I mess up ^-^;

I'm trying to learn Japanese and so far I can read and write Hiragana and Katakana. Kanji is a whole different thing though x.X I can't find a good way to study it, and the only ones I know are the ones I have studied a bit deeper because I see them often and they look important considering how often they show up.

I'd like to learn German and French eventually too, but one language at a time ^-^;.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I'm Portuguese so the only other language I can speak is English! It's not perfect, but I think it's improving, especially because I'm in an English Speaking Forum, which is this one XD Plus, here in Portugal it's obligatory to have English classes. I did learn French at school, but I don't remember much ... And the last year of French classes that I had, the professor was incredibly bad... :/ I'd like to learn Japanese, but that's to hard... Maybe I'll try French again ^^

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • I've tried to self-teach Estonian for the lolz

Did you use Keeleklikk? I tried learning it with that. It probably would have worked out better if I had actually stuck to it...

I can't speak any language other than English, though I did attempt French in my first year of high school for a semester and ended up coming last in my class. I would like to attempt to learn one, though, such as Italian.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • 11 years of French school :D Though I tend to use that as a nap class so my ability is... limited. I don't like the language that much, and I'd like to learn Swedish or Mandarin instead. I keep telling myself I'll get started soon but blehhh I'm lazy af.

Back