• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

China for 7 gen

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    How does Snivy=Kalos and Oshawott=Hoenn?

Years
    How does Snivy=Kalos and Oshawott=Hoenn?

Snivy's design theme is European royalty, while Oshawott's has a samurai theme, alluding to Japan. And as we know, 1-4 Gen region is based on Japan, while Kalos is France, so he's thinking the trio might be completed with a Chinese-based region.

I don't see it happening, but still a fun theory.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Hm, it's an interesting observation, but the only relation between Hoenn and Kalos is that they're both the setting for 6th gen games. So the only way this pattern could consistently pan out would be for a third set of games to come out in 6th gen based in China, which definitely isn't going to happen.

Still, I'd love for 7th gen to be set in a China-based region! I'm sure it'd be a lovely region :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    Well Kalos is Frence and has lots of grass/forests in all 4 seasons(stretching I know) so it represents Snivy

Hoenn is Okinawa(the Japs with their samurai conquered it in the 1600s) and has too much water(tm) thats why it represents Oshawott

I hope the next game is a vocanic area set in China with a long pugilistic history so that it can represent tepig

Years
    I recall hearing Chinese and Japanese culture had a huge rivalry, so while it would be cool to see a China-based region, I still feel it won't happen because Game Freak would be aware of the rivalry and wouldn't want to risk offending the fans.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    They already made hoenn which is basically a chinese coloney with a jap minority that was forcefully taken over and made into a vessel state. I don't see people's objection to the suppression to traditional culture and royality there. To be fair they did bring back karate into mainland japan so thats something preserved I guess.

Although I can see what you mean by not making a china game due to the Jap/chinese culture ravialy(even though the Japs wholesale lifted much of chinese/korean culture). Personally I don't think gamefreak cares though.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Not sure if China is such a turn-off for Game Freak, actually. After all, they were fine with constantly using Chinese mythology for designs for Pokemon. Just because they don't get on too well with China doesn't mean imo it rules it out.

That said, while it's a neat observation I feel the 5th gen starters here are just a coincidence with nothing really obvious tying Oshawott to Hoenn specifically either. Japan ties with the samurai basis, yes, but Hoenn itself... I can't see it. Regardless, if a game happened that was based on China, I very much doubt it'd be gen 6. 7 at the earliest.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Merica and Britain had a big war. let's see presently how they handl - owaitnevermind they do plenty business together. for businesses market it vital, and China has too big of a population for a business to ignore. last i remember anime is also a big thing in China.

does this mean gen7 is confirmed to be based on China? no
    does it mean gamefreak will never make a region based on china? not at all the possibility is there. that rivalry is not as big as you think it is, plenty of japanese games and anime has been created based on chinese legends. quiz time who knows where Son Goku came from?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    No, please.

South Africa, Australia or UK first, please Game Freak.

Btw, feud doesn't stop anything from happening.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Ok I don't see how Tepig is Chinese based. If it were a fire Panda then yes or based off of a Chinese dragon then yes but a pig (I am still wondering how there are male Tepig cause pigs ARE FEMALE) the only connection I see is the pig/hog zodiac. Snivy connected with the French Kalos yes definitely! Oshawatt with Hoenn um not very much.

Actually on second thought Tepig might count.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Ok I don't see how Tepig is Chinese based. If it were a fire Panda then yes or based off of a Chinese dragon then yes but a pig (I am still wondering how there are male Tepig cause pigs ARE FEMALE) the only connection I see is the pig/hog zodiac. Snivy connected with the French Kalos yes definitely! Oshawatt with Hoenn um not very much.

pigs are not female. that is a sow. pig is ambiguous on the gender the same way "human" is ambiguous on the gender, but "woman" specifically means female human.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Okay, first of all... thread creator, why are you using a slur against Japanese people... don't abbreviate Japanese people to that... before you say "Tumblr alert", I'm just saying that's not a nice word to say.

And I'm on the "just because China and Japan are in a feud, doesn't mean we won't get a region based on China." I honestly think that sounds like a lot of fun. China is huge. Why not? Sounds possible, I'd love that.

As for Oshawott being related to Hoenn. Sure, why not? I buy it.
    Snivy is obvious, and Tepig? Why not? Maybe the op did his research.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years

Ken Sugimori said in an interview that he based Tepig's design on a Chinese aesthetic, back when the Unova starters were first revealed. I guess it's not particularly obvious with Tepig, but you can see it more with Pignite and Emboar--the same way Oshawott's samurai influence isn't quite as evident as it is with Dewott and Samurott.

But yea, I've seen plenty of Japanese games with Chinese themes or even some that are set in worlds based on China--Auj Oule in Tales of Xillia comes to mind, for example :) I don't think any kind of "rivalry" between the countries would make them not want to have a China-based region in a Pokemon game. I doubt most people playing the games really care. As long as it sells, that's all that matters.

Back