• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Colour and color

What spelling standard do you use?

• The British Way.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • The American Way.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • The Canadian Way. A mixture of BOTH the British and the American Way.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don't even know anymore.

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    Which way do you spell it?
    Canadians have it rough, both British and American spellings can be used. Sometimes we're like UK demeanour CAD demeanour US demeanor. And other times we're like UK aeroplane CAD airplane US airplane. It's quite confusing, as most computers say colour is wrong.
    It once cost me an A in English.
    WHY ARE WE SPELLING WORDS DIFFERENTLY???? WHY CAN'T WE BE UNITED IN SPELLING?
    Do you have a certain word you spell it, and people are like, "Nope, it's _______"?

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    I grew up with both American and British teachers. I also took the SAT and Cambridge's CAE. (I'll the the Proficiency soon.) Sooo, my spelling varies a lot. I use both UK and US spellings. It varies almost as if it depended on my mood. I do stick to one of the approaches when writing documents, though.

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
    Years
    Lived in Anerica all my life and taught the American way of spelling, but a year or two ago I was just like "yah no" and I converted to the British spellings. Accidentally turned in papers with realise and colour etc spelled the British way. To me, it's the right way,

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
    I spell things differently. So I guess both the British and American way for words. I see them as both being right. xD It just varies with my mood and how I want to type that day.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    It just depends what I end up typing. If I see the world colour, I'll say colour. However, for the most part I use color cause that's the word that I grew up with.

Years
    In India we use the British spellings in general usage. Al the newspapers use it as well.
    Unless it's a programming related class where "color" is used.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Being so close to the border, a lot of people where I live use the Canadian style spelling, which is a mix of both. Some spellings just make more sense the British way, others make more sense to me the American way. Like "travelling" (the British way) makes more sense to me than "traveling", for example.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    I use British spelling, since I do live in England right now. However when I was back in Nepal my teacher used to teach us American English so when my family moved to the UK calling crisps 'chips' and other variations made me the American kid for some time aha

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
    Years
    Im from Europe, (Russia) so I grew up on colour, and i feel its the correct way, it just fits the pronunciation more than color.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
    I personally think the English language is all sorts of jacked up anyway, so my mind finds no such thing as a wrong way of spelling. I tend to switch between the two very frequently (when I write by hand I seem to lean more commonwealth-y, while typing I type like I pronounce my Zs.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Definitely colour. The same way that every non-American English speaker (as far as I know) does it, haha.

Also I feel like this is more a "what are you in the habit of doing" conversation rather than an actual discussion or debate, so I'll move it to Chit Chat & Polls. :]

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
    I've lived in america my whole life, but I prefer the british spellings on most words.
    Colour
    Centre
    Theatre
    Demeanour
    Realise
    and so on....

But, I do use the american on some,
    Airplane

uhhhh that may be the only one, actually.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Since I grew up in a Commonwealth country, I use the British way. Damn auto-correct always makes me think that I am spelling my words wrongly.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
    Color. I've learned American spelling since I was a kid and I never even knew British had other ways to spell them so yeah...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For me, it's color—the American way. :p It's how I've always spelt it.

Back