• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

cookies!! 🍪

Years
    when you log onto a website and are prompted to accept cookies - do you? or do you close the window and hope you can still browse the site without doing such

or if you find that opting for cookies is optional - do you reject the options to accept them?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    It depends on the website. If it's a website I use, then yes, I accept cookies if prompted. But, if it's something I'm only going to use once, then no, why should I let them take some of browsing data lol.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'll accept for familiar websites, decline for unfamiliar.

Last time I ran a computer scan, found a bunch of tracker cookies and they all came from Facebook. No surprise there.

Years
    I laud websites that have clear "Reject Cookies" buttons, though they may be few and far between. 90% of the time though, I don't even care that much lol

Years
    ^ sometimes i wonder why some websites have only the option to accept cookies but nothing more, not even a settings button to go over what you want tracked or not

for states/nations that do mandate consumer choice, are those websites banned because they don't allow for the denial of cookie acceptance?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    ^ sometimes i wonder why some websites have only the option to accept cookies but nothing more, not even a settings button to go over what you want tracked or not

for states/nations that do mandate consumer choice, are those websites banned because they don't allow for the denial of cookie acceptance?

Nope. Britain is still affected by GDPR yet any Vox Media sites, for example only have an Accept button. There definitely needs to be more restrictions on the cookie "control" pop-ups' structure too, some of them just use endless scrolling to get rid of you whilst use tricks like highlighting Accept and doing everything apart from making Decline invisible. In particular this habit of labelling things as "legitimate interest" is nefarious, because it looks like they can call any behaviour legitimate interest and just carry on doing it.

Of course if we all rejected cookies then many, many sites would be deprived of revenue. What needs to happen is we all start paying for news, but that's a whole other thing.

Years
    What needs to happen is we all start paying for news, but that's a whole other thing.

that's already a thing over here - many newspapers paywall their sites to force subscriptions, but tv stations with websites don't

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    that's already a thing over here - many newspapers paywall their sites to force subscriptions, but tv stations with websites don't

Oh yeah, when I was studying in the US getting sources to reference for current events was much harder. All our tabloids are ad-supported, The Guardian has some but begs for money as often as Wikipedia, and then a couple of the less-hysterical right wings, and Financial Times, have paywalls.

Our national broadcaster of course let's it's news site be read for free globally! (Until they sell it off, no doubt)

Years
    Our national broadcaster of course let's it's news site be read for free globally! (Until they sell it off, no doubt)
    yeah similar here. closest we have are npr and pbs newshour, and they are free/non-commercial for distribution of news

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    yeah similar here. closest we have are npr and pbs newshour, and they are free/non-commercial for distribution of news

NPR won't let us foreigners access it without accepting all of the cookies. Somehow Pocket-proof as well, one of the earliest ones I noticed (WSJ another which was less surprising)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    i do try to reject or close out of cookie prompts when i can. not for any particular reason and i dont have strong feelings about it- mostly because i dont really understand them- but because i know its something something privacy and if i can get away with not submitting data to corporations i certainly will

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    Sorry if I'm necroing this thread but if you have the I Don't Care About Cookies extension, delete it ASAP. It was recently acquired by Avast, which has been caught selling user data and itself recently got bought out by Norton, which bundled crypto miners with its antivirus.
    Instead, use Consent-O-Matic, which is FOSS and automatically rejects all cookies.
    That kind of extensions are pretty much useless, you can block cookies simply by editing your browser's cookie settings.

Years
    Sorry if I'm necroing this thread but if you have the I Don't Care About Cookies extension, delete it ASAP. It was recently acquired by Avast, which has been caught selling user data and itself recently got bought out by Norton, which bundled crypto miners with its antivirus.
    Instead, use Consent-O-Matic, which is FOSS and automatically rejects all cookies.

avast is such a terrible company and it really amazes me that people still use their products even with windows defender being a thing

Back