• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creatures of the Skies - The Flying Type Fan Club

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

A6MzV71.png

Welcome to Creatures of the Skies! This is the place for Flying type fans to talk about their favorite things about Flying types, whether it be Pokémon, moves, trainers or whatever else they can think of. Explore the skies by signing up today!

Name:
Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names):
Reason for liking Flying-types:

Members List

Hover over the Pokemon to see their nicknames
Pidgey
016.png
249.png

Squirrel
021.png
144.png

Dedenne1
587.png
468.png

Aslan
398.png
142.png

DarkArx
085.png
521.png

H.A.N.
142.png
085.png

Wicked3DS
006.png
169.png

milk!
189.png
177.png

Luxrayyy
714.png
663.png

Pendraflare
169.png
334.png

Zinnia
227.png
715.png

Santalune Forest
227.png
277.png

Castform
169.png
012.png

Topics
– What is your favorite Flying Type Pokémon?

Pokemon Training Grounds
018.gif

Lv. 45

Twister - Sand Attack - Gust - Quick Attack

Currently learning: Feather Dance

Welcome to the Pokemon Training Grounds! This is where we train up all our wonderful Flying type Pokemon for use in battle against other teams. For the moment, this serves no other purpose than simply being a club activity, but any suggestions on how it could be made better are welcome!

- The Pokemon in training gains a level each time a new post is made.
- Whenever a new move is learned, a poll will be made on whether or not the move should be learned, and what move to replace.
- The Pokemon in training can be boxed at any given time if there is enough support for it, and another Flying type will be put in training.

Flying Pokémon
charizard.png
butterfree.png
pidgey.png
pidgeotto.png
pidgeot.png
spearow.png
fearow.png
zubat.png
golbat.png
crobat.png
farfetchd.png
doduo.png
dodrio.png
scyther.png
gyarados.png
aerodactyl.png
articuno.png
zapdos.png
moltres.png
dragonite.png
ledyba.png
ledian.png
togetic.png
togekiss.png
natu.png
xatu.png
hoppip.png
skiploom.png
jumpluff.png
yanma.png
yanmega.png
murkrow.png
honchkrow.png
gligar.png
gliscor.png
delibird.png
mantyke.png
mantine.png
skarmory.png
lugia.png
ho-oh.png
beautifly.png
taillow.png
swellow.png
wingull.png
pelipper.png
masquerain.png
ninjask.png
Spr_5b_127.png
swablu.png
altaria.png
tropius.png
salamence.png
rayquaza.png
starly.png
staravia.png
staraptor.png
mothim.png
combee.png
vespiquen.png
drifloon.png
drifblim.png
chatot.png
rotom-fan.png
shaymin-sky.png
pidove.png
tranquill.png
unfezant.png
woobat.png
swoobat.png
sigilyph.png
archen.png
archeops.png
ducklett.png
swanna.png
emolga.png
rufflet.png
braviary.png
vullaby.png
mandibuzz.png
tornadus-incarnate.png
tornadus-therian.png
landorus-incarnate.png
landorus-therian.png
thundurus-incarnate.png
thundurus-therian.png
fletchling.png
fletchinder-png.4280
talonflame_by_chrischai7990-d6i1lyd.png
Vivillon_zps77b967ce.png
hawlucha.png
714.gif
NoivernFrontSprite_zps1201882f.png
yveltal_2_0_by_geoisevil-d6dplzh.png

mega_charizard_y_sprite_by_flamejow-d6m3y7l.png
dDln0oM.png
KQf3xyQ.gif
M7CWC6W.png
Bx93ZJ2.png
MegaSalamenceV25_zps31791214.png
QqxVGV0.png

CSS courtesy of the wonderful TwilightBlade

Last edited:

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Name: Dedenne1
Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): Emolga (Elektra), Togekiss (Harmony)
Reason for liking Flying-types: well it is one of the most versatile types! Only 3 weaknesses supereffective to 2 and you kinda need theses pokemon to fly around the region. But lets face it flying types are one of the most important pokemon we have and should really be loved for carrying us along on their backs during our journey haha.

This is a scary question!
But currently it is Emolga because of its dual type of electric and flying which is only seen with Zapdos and her along with how Emolga only has 2 weaknesses and for the uneducated player can attack it with an electric move and boost its speed if it has motor drive! Its also a flying squirrel which is extremely cute not to mention fast Emolga is also great with air slash for flinching foes. Hehe
Hinorable Mention to: Altaria though because altaria is probably #3 after togekiss with its cool mega and cuteness!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Name: Squirrel/Ozzy
Your two Partner Pokémon: Olli the Pidgey and lolnubg the Spearow :D
Reason for liking Flying-types: BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRDS.

My favourite Flying-type Pokemon is Spearow and I adore his line. Why do I like Flying-types? It all started back when I was a little boy living in South-West England, a heart of stone and tears to fill a fountain with water. I was lonely, cold, scared - no one was there to look out for me or to be my friend. I was sitting alone in the dank dark room when suddenly it appeared, my true calling in life. I looked over at a shining ray of light next to me, seeing a small figure appear from the ashes surrounding it. Could this be it, could this really what I've been waiting for? I picked it up, and there it was in my hand. I looked down and saw a Spearow TCG card set on fire and from then on that card was my best friend for life. We still go for walks in the park sometimes around the ruins of my old burned down house ♥

Touching stories aside, I like the idea of Flying-types in a real-world battle setting. Swooping around through the air, dipping and diving through the battlefield whilst remaining out of reach from your dim foes is a really cool concept and I've always admired Flying-Pokémon for this reason. Sure stuff like Sandshrew and Pachirisu are cool, but what if they had wings and could fly around wreaking havoc with their itty bitty cute smiles? Adorable and deadly. ♥

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Name: Aslan
Your two Partner Pokémon: Staraptor and Aerodactyl

Reason for liking Flying-types: CAW CAAAAAW. I like flying types - they're fast, they're cool and they fly. What more could you want?

What is your favorite Flying Type Pokémon?

I don't think I can top off the above story of Alex heroically saving a Spearow TCG card and possibly risking his own life but my favourite's Staraptor! My favourite flying type's always changed though, it was Aerodactyl then Yanmega then Xatu but for the sake of choosing the most bird-like mon then let me tell you the story of Dinner the Staraptor...

So it was back in the spring of 2009 when I was playing Platinum for the first time. Having just got Pokeballs, I had been hunting for pokemon in the tall grass. Though I was initially disappointed with the influx of beavers on my screen, I had then remembered the bird I'd see in my guidebook the other day.

About two minutes later I'd found a Starly on the first route. My initial thoughts went along the line of 'okay well I need a bird because birds'. Good reasoning right? Anyway I had caught it and me finding it hilarious had nicknamed it Dinner. Little did I know a legend had been born.

Progressing through the game, 'Dinner' had become one of my strongest pokemon. Dinner used Fly, Dinner used Brave Bird, Dinner used Close Combat! I'll admit that if it hadn't been for that nickname I wouldn't of wanted to train it further. Seeing the stupid actions performed by my 'dinner' was funny and I wanted to see it throughout the whole game. Good times being 8 huh?

Anyway fast forward to today and it's still one of my favourite pokemon of all time. The adventures of Dinner and trainer will never be forgotten and will live on forever. Ayy Staraptor. :]

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
Name: DarkArx
Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): Dodrio (Frigo) and Unfezant (Hope)

Reason for liking Flying-types: As well as making good use of an HM (fly), they are a type you get early on games, and are pretty versatile and have the highest base speed stat on average of all the poke types ;)! Not to mention most flying type designs are awesome.
Dodrio! --- It can hit HARD not to mention he outspeeds quite a lot of opponents. Dodrio doesn't have much hp or sp.def but makes up for it by hitting quick and hard. Also being one of my first flying types I feel a special bond with the Dodrio kin! Drill peck on him is OP.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Name: H.A.N.
Partner Pokémon:
142.png
085.png

Reason(s) for liking Flying-types: Flying is my second favorite type. Bird Pokémon are awesome, but most other flying types are cool as well. I find birds in real life interesting too, they're (excluding some bugs) the only group of organisms able to fly. I see that as something special, birds must live their lives in a completely different way, being able to move easily in a third dimension.
I cannot watch those animated Pokémon sprites of flying Pokémon without being intrigued by them.
Answer to current topic: see below

What is your favorite flying type Pokémon?
I like so many of them, especially the bird like ones. Aerodactyl is my favorite, because it is an awesome quick prehistoric flying beast. I know it is technically not a bird, but it has the same structure.
I like Dodrio because I used one on my team in multiple games. Its high speed and attack make it possible to easily swipe away a lot of Pokémon without the chance of getting hit. I used one in a battle against my friend and it cleared his whole team with Flail on double attack.
Crobat has an interesting way of flying, using four wings instead of the usual two. I wonder if that is actually practical, but it definitely makes Crobat an interesting Pokémon.

@Pidgey, great idea, the Training Grounds. This might be a good way for promoting the club. And I think the voting for the moveset might bond the club members more by having to decide together and use argumentation if necessary for your choice. Pidgey learned Sand Attack already just from the signups!

Olli

Years
Name: Dedenne1
Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): Emolga (Elektra), Togekiss (Harmony)
Reason for liking Flying-types: well it is one of the most versatile types! Only 3 weaknesses supereffective to 2 and you kinda need theses pokemon to fly around the region. But lets face it flying types are one of the most important pokemon we have and should really be loved for carrying us along on their backs during our journey haha.

This is a scary question!
But currently it is Emolga because of its dual type of electric and flying which is only seen with Zapdos and her along with how Emolga only has 2 weaknesses and for the uneducated player can attack it with an electric move and boost its speed if it has motor drive! Its also a flying squirrel which is extremely cute not to mention fast Emolga is also great with air slash for flinching foes. Hehe
Hinorable Mention to: Altaria though because altaria is probably #3 after togekiss with its cool mega and cuteness!
Yoo, welcome to the club! :)

Seems like Flying types are actually better than you think, since they're actually super effective against 3 types, though considering how little we actually see of Bug types outside of trainer battles with Bug Catchers, I can understand if you forgot that one :D But I do agree with you that Flying types are really versatile, especially considering the amount of different dual typings we see along with Flying types. And like you mentioned, they're pretty much essential unless you want to ride your bike around everywhere haha

Personally, I was never really a big fan of Emolga, but considering you seem to like the electric rodents, it doesn't come as a surprise :p I think the main reason I disliked Emolga is because I've never actually used one, and found it really annoying to face due to how convenient the typing was along with the ability, which pretty much eliminated one one of the most common counters to Flying types. And I definitely can't argue against Emolga being cute, because it's definitely high up on the list along with all the other electric rodents. I especially liked Emolga in the anime, although Iris' Emolga kiiinda abused her cuteness haha.

You mentioned Emolga as your favourite, though I'd love to hear why you picked Togekiss as your other partner! The Togepi line is one that I never really found myself using, though I've heard a lot of good things about Togekiss especially, and I'd like to know why you like it :D

Name: Squirrel/Ozzy
Your two Partner Pokémon: Olli the Pidgey and lolnubg the Spearow :D
Reason for liking Flying-types: BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRDS.

My favourite Flying-type Pokemon is Spearow and I adore his line. Why do I like Flying-types? It all started back when I was a little boy living in South-West England, a heart of stone and tears to fill a fountain with water. I was lonely, cold, scared - no one was there to look out for me or to be my friend. I was sitting alone in the dank dark room when suddenly it appeared, my true calling in life. I looked over at a shining ray of light next to me, seeing a small figure appear from the ashes surrounding it. Could this be it, could this really what I've been waiting for? I picked it up, and there it was in my hand. I looked down and saw a Spearow TCG card set on fire and from then on that card was my best friend for life. We still go for walks in the park sometimes around the ruins of my old burned down house ♥

Touching stories aside, I like the idea of Flying-types in a real-world battle setting. Swooping around through the air, dipping and diving through the battlefield whilst remaining out of reach from your dim foes is a really cool concept and I've always admired Flying-Pokémon for this reason. Sure stuff like Sandshrew and Pachirisu are cool, but what if they had wings and could fly around wreaking havoc with their itty bitty cute smiles? Adorable and deadly. ♥
your story was really unrealistic, such a thing would've been much more likely to happen in South-East Asia. 2/10

Welcome to the club, nubface! Whether you actually did run through a burning house to save a card of the most worthless bird Pokemon there is or not, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a card that made you like the Pokemon haha. I'd ask to why you picked Pidgey as your partner, but I'm pretty sure it was just for my sake ;)

I do agree with you that Flying types would probably have the coolest battle style of them all in a real world setting, although it's probably also the most unfair, since they'd always have the edge, being out of reach for most attacks, and being able to position themselves for attack without any consequences. But considering your main focus was on this kind of style, how did you feel about the addition of sky battles in the sixth generation?

Also, I'm pretty sure that a flying Pachirisu already exists in the form of Emolga, though a Flying type Sandshrew just keeps giving me the image of a Pidgey/Sandshrew hybrid which I believe you made a sprite of once xD

Name: Aslan
Your two Partner Pokémon: Staraptor and Aerodactyl

Reason for liking Flying-types: CAW CAAAAAW. I like flying types - they're fast, they're cool and they fly. What more could you want?

What is your favorite Flying Type Pokémon?

I don't think I can top off the above story of Alex heroically saving a Spearow TCG card and possibly risking his own life but my favourite's Staraptor! My favourite flying type's always changed though, it was Aerodactyl then Yanmega then Xatu but for the sake of choosing the most bird-like mon then let me tell you the story of Dinner the Staraptor...

So it was back in the spring of 2009 when I was playing Platinum for the first time. Having just got Pokeballs, I had been hunting for pokemon in the tall grass. Though I was initially disappointed with the influx of beavers on my screen, I had then remembered the bird I'd see in my guidebook the other day.

About two minutes later I'd found a Starly on the first route. My initial thoughts went along the line of 'okay well I need a bird because birds'. Good reasoning right? Anyway I had caught it and me finding it hilarious had nicknamed it Dinner. Little did I know a legend had been born.

Progressing through the game, 'Dinner' had become one of my strongest pokemon. Dinner used Fly, Dinner used Brave Bird, Dinner used Close Combat! I'll admit that if it hadn't been for that nickname I wouldn't of wanted to train it further. Seeing the stupid actions performed by my 'dinner' was funny and I wanted to see it throughout the whole game. Good times being 8 huh?

Anyway fast forward to today and it's still one of my favourite pokemon of all time. The adventures of Dinner and trainer will never be forgotten and will live on forever. Ayy Staraptor. :]
Welcome to the club, Sophie! I swear you like every type out there though, so I'm not too surprised to see you 8D

I saw you didn't give your Pokemon any nicknames, so from your touching story, I took the liberty of nicknaming your Staraptor "Dinner" :D If you'd like to give your Aerodactyl a nickname as well, just say so!

But yeah, I actually really liked your story, and I'm assuming that's mainly because I find it very similar to how I came to like Pidgey. I may not have thought of some ridiculous name for my Pidgey, though I also went through catching it just for the sake of catching something, not really thinking it was something I was gonna end up using, and eventually coming to love it. I also know generation 4 was your first one, so if this was actually your first playthrough of any Pokemon game, then that would make it even more similar, though considering you said it was playing through Platinum, I'm not certain D: In any case, the story of Dinner and Trainer was very entertaining, and you better bring it back someday.

That said, I want to hear more about your Aerodactyl pick. It could very well just be because it's a cool Pokemon, considering how popular it is, but if there's another story akin to the one about Dinner to it, then I'd love to hear that as well :)

Name: DarkArx
Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): Dodrio (Frigo) and Unfezant (Hope)

Reason for liking Flying-types: As well as making good use of an HM (fly), they are a type you get early on games, and are pretty versatile and have the highest base speed stat on average of all the poke types ;)! Not to mention most flying type designs are awesome.
Dodrio! --- It can hit HARD not to mention he outspeeds quite a lot of opponents. Dodrio doesn't have much hp or sp.def but makes up for it by hitting quick and hard. Also being one of my first flying types I feel a special bond with the Dodrio kin! Drill peck on him is OP.
Hey there, welcome to the club!

I'm in full agreement with your last 2 points about why you like Flying types. I've always found Speed and the damage stats to be the ones I've put the most focus on, whichc is probably one of the reasons that I always do reserve a spot in my team for Flying Pokemon, simply because, even though they often times lack the damage, the speed, effectiveness against common types, and the lack of weaknesses to a lot of common types make me still love the Flying types. And as someone who's always loved how real-life birds look, I've always liked the designs of a lot of Flying types, even if they do end up looking like any real life bird would. But in general I agree that the Flying types typically have really cool designs, whether they're birds or not, and I feel like they keep a very good variation between cool, cute and elegant designs.

Dodrio is definitely an interesting pick. I've always found it to be one of the lesser popular Flying types, and personally I did end up putting a lot of first generation Flying types inte shadow of the Pidgey line and the legendary birds, so I never really used them that much. That said, I have noticed that Dodrio is definitely not something to play around with, and the ability to use Tri-attack always intrigued me. But it's nice to know that some of the reason for liking it comes from it being your first Flying types as well :')

What's your reason for picking Unfezant though. Considering Dodrio was your first, I can imagine there was quite a gap between using Dodrio for the first time, and using Unfezant, as well as considering it's relatively new, so I don't really see nostalgia being much of a factor. So is it design, the experience with playing through the fifth gen games with it, or whatever the reason is? :o It just seems to me that it's one of the lsser liked starter birds, since all the others have seemed to get a lot of love, even the Fletchling line despite being even newer :o

Name: H.A.N.
Partner Pokémon:
142.png
085.png

Reason(s) for liking Flying-types: Flying is my second favorite type. Bird Pokémon are awesome, but most other flying types are cool as well. I find birds in real life interesting too, they're (excluding some bugs) the only group of organisms able to fly. I see that as something special, birds must live their lives in a completely different way, being able to move easily in a third dimension.
I cannot watch those animated Pokémon sprites of flying Pokémon without being intrigued by them.
Answer to current topic: see below

What is your favorite flying type Pokémon?
I like so many of them, especially the bird like ones. Aerodactyl is my favorite, because it is an awesome quick prehistoric flying beast. I know it is technically not a bird, but it has the same structure.
I like Dodrio because I used one on my team in multiple games. Its high speed and attack make it possible to easily swipe away a lot of Pokémon without the chance of getting hit. I used one in a battle against my friend and it cleared his whole team with Flail on double attack.
Crobat has an interesting way of flying, using four wings instead of the usual two. I wonder if that is actually practical, but it definitely makes Crobat an interesting Pokémon.

@Pidgey, great idea, the Training Grounds. This might be a good way for promoting the club. And I think the voting for the moveset might bond the club members more by having to decide together and use argumentation if necessary for your choice. Pidgey learned Sand Attack already just from the signups!
Hey there, welcome to the club! Great to see I'm not the only one who also likes birds in real life. I may not study them in any way or i may not be very knowledgeable about them, but I've always liked the entire lifestyle that birds live, and I find a lot of them to look really cool. And like you said, the fact that they're some of the only creatures to have the ability to fly makes them pretty special :D

Not too surprised by the Aerodactyl pick, but the fact that you also picked Dodrio as one of your partner Pokemon makes me think I may be wrong about the Dodrio line not being too popular :o I was always aware that it was relatively strong, but it just never seemed as though that many people used it. It may just be because a lot of stronger ones have since been introduced, and since it's always mainly about either the starter birds or the stronger Flying types being used, Dodrio just fell into obscurity. I guess I wouldn't really be surprised if more people happened to use Dodrio in the originals then :o

Glad you like the Training Grounds :) I'm hoping to perhaps expand a bit more on it, but I mainly just wanted some kind of interactive feature that didn't need to be as elaborate as points, but still give people some incentive to post, although at the moment, there's not a whole lot to it than working together to create a team that people would like :D I have been talking to some people about including it as well so it could be used for cross-club interactions though :)

That should be everyone, granted no one signed up in the time it took to make this post. And with that said, I think we could start up our first Poképoll!

Which of the three legendary birds, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres, do you like best?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
There's a lot of people I want to reply to in this club but I'm tired so that'll have to wait, but welcome everyone you're all awesome etc :D

But considering your main focus was on this kind of style, how did you feel about the addition of sky battles in the sixth generation?
Back when I was a small child and my house was on fire... I never tried them! Despite liking Flying-types a lot I hardly ever actually tend to train them. I think it's because I have a big policy of "DON'T RE-USE POKÉMON" when making my in-game teams and I used to spam a lot of Flying-types in previous generations, so there aren't really a lot of them left for me to try now haha. I did always like the sound of the sky battles but from looking at YouTube videos I feel like they're not at all different to regular battles which is really disappointing for such a cool concept :(

Also, I'm pretty sure that a flying Pachirisu already exists in the form of Emolga
Ok true I completely forgot Emolga exists - strange since it's currently on my AS team. He never really learns many Flying-type moves though so it always felt like a strange type combo bar the flying squirrel theme :(

Pidgey/Sandshrew hybrid which I believe you made a sprite of once xD
Spoiler: yw
bSLth3U.png

Which of the three legendary birds, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres, do you like best?
Articuno! Ice is one of my favourite types so I'm usually biased to those legendaries, but the image of Articuno majestically soaring over the horizon on a Winter's morning with a trail of shimmering ice slowly pouring down below her is perfect ♥ Plus dat beard so yeah. I don't like Fire-types in general so Moltres doesn't go down well with me, and although Zapdos is a cool Pokémon he just isn't as inspiring to use as Articuno feels.

On this note, can I sub out my stupid Pidgey partner and replace it with Anivia the Articuno? ♥

Years
Totally joining this club because I love pokemon that fly and not because someone threatened to murder my family.

Name: Sheerow
Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): I'm assuming this means pokemon that can learn fly, so I'll be going with OlliSucks
623MS.png
and OlliIsTheWorst
635MS.png

Reason for liking Flying-types: You know that song Free Fallin'? The one that goes: "AND I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE, FREE FALLIN'. YEAH I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, FREE FALLIN'. Well I hate that song, and flying is the opposite of free falling, so yeah.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Yoo, welcome to the club! :)

Seems like Flying types are actually better than you think, since they're actually super effective against 3 types, though considering how little we actually see of Bug types outside of trainer battles with Bug Catchers, I can understand if you forgot that one :D But I do agree with you that Flying types are really versatile, especially considering the amount of different dual typings we see along with Flying types. And like you mentioned, they're pretty much essential unless you want to ride your bike around everywhere haha

Personally, I was never really a big fan of Emolga, but considering you seem to like the electric rodents, it doesn't come as a surprise :p I think the main reason I disliked Emolga is because I've never actually used one, and found it really annoying to face due to how convenient the typing was along with the ability, which pretty much eliminated one one of the most common counters to Flying types. And I definitely can't argue against Emolga being cute, because it's definitely high up on the list along with all the other electric rodents. I especially liked Emolga in the anime, although Iris' Emolga kiiinda abused her cuteness haha.

You mentioned Emolga as your favourite, though I'd love to hear why you picked Togekiss as your other partner! The Togepi line is one that I never really found myself using, though I've heard a lot of good things about Togekiss especially, and I'd like to know why you like it :D

your story was really unrealistic, such a thing would've been much more likely to happen in South-East Asia. 2/10

Welcome to the club, nubface! Whether you actually did run through a burning house to save a card of the most worthless bird Pokemon there is or not, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a card that made you like the Pokemon haha. I'd ask to why you picked Pidgey as your partner, but I'm pretty sure it was just for my sake ;)

I do agree with you that Flying types would probably have the coolest battle style of them all in a real world setting, although it's probably also the most unfair, since they'd always have the edge, being out of reach for most attacks, and being able to position themselves for attack without any consequences. But considering your main focus was on this kind of style, how did you feel about the addition of sky battles in the sixth generation?

Also, I'm pretty sure that a flying Pachirisu already exists in the form of Emolga, though a Flying type Sandshrew just keeps giving me the image of a Pidgey/Sandshrew hybrid which I believe you made a sprite of once xD

Welcome to the club, Sophie! I swear you like every type out there though, so I'm not too surprised to see you 8D

I saw you didn't give your Pokemon any nicknames, so from your touching story, I took the liberty of nicknaming your Staraptor "Dinner" :D If you'd like to give your Aerodactyl a nickname as well, just say so!

But yeah, I actually really liked your story, and I'm assuming that's mainly because I find it very similar to how I came to like Pidgey. I may not have thought of some ridiculous name for my Pidgey, though I also went through catching it just for the sake of catching something, not really thinking it was something I was gonna end up using, and eventually coming to love it. I also know generation 4 was your first one, so if this was actually your first playthrough of any Pokemon game, then that would make it even more similar, though considering you said it was playing through Platinum, I'm not certain D: In any case, the story of Dinner and Trainer was very entertaining, and you better bring it back someday.

That said, I want to hear more about your Aerodactyl pick. It could very well just be because it's a cool Pokemon, considering how popular it is, but if there's another story akin to the one about Dinner to it, then I'd love to hear that as well :)

Hey there, welcome to the club!

I'm in full agreement with your last 2 points about why you like Flying types. I've always found Speed and the damage stats to be the ones I've put the most focus on, whichc is probably one of the reasons that I always do reserve a spot in my team for Flying Pokemon, simply because, even though they often times lack the damage, the speed, effectiveness against common types, and the lack of weaknesses to a lot of common types make me still love the Flying types. And as someone who's always loved how real-life birds look, I've always liked the designs of a lot of Flying types, even if they do end up looking like any real life bird would. But in general I agree that the Flying types typically have really cool designs, whether they're birds or not, and I feel like they keep a very good variation between cool, cute and elegant designs.

Dodrio is definitely an interesting pick. I've always found it to be one of the lesser popular Flying types, and personally I did end up putting a lot of first generation Flying types inte shadow of the Pidgey line and the legendary birds, so I never really used them that much. That said, I have noticed that Dodrio is definitely not something to play around with, and the ability to use Tri-attack always intrigued me. But it's nice to know that some of the reason for liking it comes from it being your first Flying types as well :')

What's your reason for picking Unfezant though. Considering Dodrio was your first, I can imagine there was quite a gap between using Dodrio for the first time, and using Unfezant, as well as considering it's relatively new, so I don't really see nostalgia being much of a factor. So is it design, the experience with playing through the fifth gen games with it, or whatever the reason is? :o It just seems to me that it's one of the lsser liked starter birds, since all the others have seemed to get a lot of love, even the Fletchling line despite being even newer :o

Hey there, welcome to the club! Great to see I'm not the only one who also likes birds in real life. I may not study them in any way or i may not be very knowledgeable about them, but I've always liked the entire lifestyle that birds live, and I find a lot of them to look really cool. And like you said, the fact that they're some of the only creatures to have the ability to fly makes them pretty special :D

Not too surprised by the Aerodactyl pick, but the fact that you also picked Dodrio as one of your partner Pokemon makes me think I may be wrong about the Dodrio line not being too popular :o I was always aware that it was relatively strong, but it just never seemed as though that many people used it. It may just be because a lot of stronger ones have since been introduced, and since it's always mainly about either the starter birds or the stronger Flying types being used, Dodrio just fell into obscurity. I guess I wouldn't really be surprised if more people happened to use Dodrio in the originals then :o

Glad you like the Training Grounds :) I'm hoping to perhaps expand a bit more on it, but I mainly just wanted some kind of interactive feature that didn't need to be as elaborate as points, but still give people some incentive to post, although at the moment, there's not a whole lot to it than working together to create a team that people would like :D I have been talking to some people about including it as well so it could be used for cross-club interactions though :)

That should be everyone, granted no one signed up in the time it took to make this post. And with that said, I think we could start up our first Poképoll!

Well Emolga is my absolute fav number one as you can see! But togekiss is definately my number 2 ive always loved it even before it got that cool type changing to fairy and flying instead of having the traditional normal and flying typing. But one of the main reasons was its dex description that won me over!

Togekiss, The Jubilee Pokémon. It shares many blessings with people who respect one another's rights and avoid needless strife.As everyone knows, it visits peaceful regions, bringing them gifts of kindness and sweet blessings. It will never appear where there is strife. Its sightings have become rare recently.
I love how its the jubilee pokemon and is only nice to the people who seem to deserve it which can be like me at times! I love that about it and how its rare in the poke world now as it is in the games as well! I also love pokes that evolve through friendship which you have to have before you can get a togekiss it kinda shows those pokemon care a lot about theyre trainers! Other things was its coloring and amazing use in battle as well especially with air slash and thunder wave with super luck! Its also an extremely cute pokemon itself although i dont like its current sprite cause it makes it look like it has no neck its been so cute throughout the games and if you find a pic i bet you'll love how cute it is! Ive always been attracted to it and Altaria as my #3 those 3 have never changed yet so im quite confident in them as great pokes and adorable <3

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
Name: Wicked3DS
Your two Partner Pokémon: Charizard and Crobat
Reason for liking Flying-types: Being able to fly is awesome! Flying-types tend to have good Speed and attacking stats, which are very important to me. They also seem to have a lot of cool and unique designs since they can be combined with literally any other type.

milk!

oh yeah!
Years
Name: Milk!
Partner Pokemon: Jumpluff (Sumi) and Natu (Sweetpea)
Why do I like flying types? They're all so cute! Birds are so precious and every bird Pokemon I've come across has been adorable. Of course, the non-bird flying types are also very cute. Flying sounds so cool- soaring through the skies has always been a dream of mine. Flying with my beloved Pokemon sounds so amazing! A thing about flying types is that the sky is their domain only. They're like the royalty of the sky! There are some really awesome flying type moves too, like brave bird and sky attack.

My favorite flying type is definitely Jumpluff. I've always loved how cute and carefree it is, and how interesting it is in competitive battle. It also has one of the cutest shinies EVER! People often compare me to a Jumpluff, which I love, because I'm always carefree and just floating off to where the wind takes me.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
But I do agree with you that Flying types are really versatile, especially considering the amount of different dual typings we see along with Flying types.

This is really a pro of the flying type, flying types exist in many flavors. About every other type can combine itself with flying. It's almost impossible to hate the flying type Pokémon, because there will always be one of your liking.
I see flying often as a bonus type given to some airborne Pokémon, considering the fact that most flying types are primary some other type, looking at the fact that every flying Pokémon (except Noibat, Noivern and Tornadus) is typed ???/flying, even the normal birds, in which you can consider their flying type as their main type, still they're normal/flying.

I do agree with you that Flying types would probably have the coolest battle style of them all in a real world setting, although it's probably also the most unfair, since they'd always have the edge, being out of reach for most attacks, and being able to position themselves for attack without any consequences

Yes, that would be a huge advantage, but the same goes for other elements. Digging Pokémon can do the same in loose ground, swimming Pokémon can do the same in lakes or seas. The difference is that air is present everywhere and can always be used in advantage, unless some type of roof prevents flying far away. This must be the reason Gym Battles are organised indoors.

Yes, I don't know. Dodio's typing is not very special, as there exist 23 normal/flying type Pokémon (and then you have Togetic and Togekiss too). So when you want to train a typical normal/flying bird, you can easily use the one you can find on the first or second route of the region, instead of waiting to about halfway through the game.
Then there are also a whole lot of flying type legendaries which are stronger than Dodrio, and can be used to fill the flying type spot in your team. Every generation has introduced a flying type legendary Pokémon (counting Shaymin's Sky Form too), so that gives much chance to cast a shadow over Pokémon like Dodrio sadly.

Totally joining this club because I love pokemon that fly and not because someone threatened to murder my family.

Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): I'm assuming this means pokemon that can learn fly, so I'll be going with OlliSucks
623MS.png
and OlliIsTheWorst
635MS.png

Reason for liking Flying-types: You know that song Free Fallin'? The one that goes: "AND I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE, FREE FALLIN'. YEAH I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, FREE FALLIN'. Well I hate that song, and flying is the opposite of free falling, so yeah.

I think the partner Pokémon actually must have the flying type, not the ability to use Fly. Not all flying types can learn Fly anyway (think Pokémon like Butterfree or Gliscor). Interesting reason for liking flying types though.

Years
Hi! I would like to join here. I look forward to this place becoming lively with great discussions!

Name: Luxray
Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): I pick Noibat (Orinoco) and Talonflame (Flamenco)! (A hard choice between Talonflame and Braviary)
Reason for liking Flying-types: Flying is my close second favourite type, after electric. I think most flying types are beautiful, graceful, and powerful, and with their high speed and attacking stats they suit my battle style well. Birds are some of my favourite animals irl as well. :)

Answer to current topic– What is your favorite Flying Type Pokémon?
A very hard question! I can't pick just one. I love Noibat as they're absolutely adorable and fluffy, and grow into the speedy and powerful Noivern. I love Talonflame as they're just incredibly cool looking, powerful, and based off one of my favourite animals, the peregrine falcon. I also adore Rufflet and Braviary. Other favourites include Altaria, Pidgeot, Staraptor, and Articuno.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023

An interesting thing to think about is what would of happened if a different bird pokemon had been there instead of Pidgey. Do you think a pokemon like Spearow would of become your favourite instead or do you still think you'd of ended up with Pidgey as your favourite? It's always cool thinking about what could of happened if Gamefreak hadn't put certain pokemon in earlier gens or earlier routes in games.

I think the reason why I went for Starly was because it was so early on in the game. If it had waited till say, post fourth gym then I'd never of even considered training one. Kinda funny thinking about how putting a pokemon earlier in the game makes all the difference.

To understand why I like Aerodactyl, a person must first read the below story of South West England, Spearow TCG cards, dinosaurs and the world turning upside down. Read on for the first segment of Squirrel: My Psychopathic Neighbour. Coming to a store near you! ;]

Spoiler:

Alongside being saved by Aerodactyl, I've always really liked dinosaurs as seen by my childhood ambitions to be a T-Rex and all that. Pterodactyls are probably one of my favourite species as they're one of the only winged dinosaurs. That in itself is pretty cool. I also really like Aerodactyl's design as it just gives off a feeling of a pokemon you'd want to use. Overall I likes it design and I like dinosaurs though I've never actually used an Aerodactyl outside of escaping my crazy neighbour. But it's still awesome regardless!

Honestly I like all of them! I've always been a little creeped out by Articuno's beard though. :(

I think my favourite's Moltres. Though it has nothing in its design to set it apart from its mythology counterpart, I really like phoenixes so I guess I can't say I'm too disappointed. If Articuno didn't have that beard it'd certainly be my favourite out of the bunch though. Ice, ice baby.

Why do I like flying types? They're all so cute! Birds are so precious and every bird Pokemon I've come across has been adorable. Of course, the non-bird flying types are also very cute. Flying sounds so cool- soaring through the skies has always been a dream of mine. Flying with my beloved Pokemon sounds so amazing!

Hey Milk, it's awesome to see you in another club! I really like the idea of flying as well though it's never really crossed my mind outside of maybe the occasional daydream. And if I'm scared of heights then how do pokemon trainers manage to fly on top of Pidgeys without falling off? It's all amazing the things flying types can do.

A thing about flying types is that the sky is their domain only. They're like the royalty of the sky! There are some really awesome flying type moves too, like brave bird and sky attack.

That's really true now that I think about it. Just like how water types rule the sea, flying types are basically the only inhabitants of the wide sky. Definitely makes them feel pretty special. :]

And yeah can't help but agree with you there! We've got moves like Brave Bird, Sky Attack, Bounce, Acrobatics, Dragon Ascent... how much cooler can a type get with move names?

My favorite flying type is definitely Jumpluff. I've always loved how cute and carefree it is, and how interesting it is in competitive battle. It also has one of the cutest shinies EVER! People often compare me to a Jumpluff, which I love, because I'm always carefree and just floating off to where the wind takes me.

Ahh Jumpluff! Haven't used one before but it's adorable. The comparison between you and a Jumpluff is really cute as well haha.

Hi! I would like to join here. I look forward to this place becoming lively with great discussions!

Your two Partner Pokémon (+ possible names): I pick Noibat (Orinoco) and Talonflame (Flamenco)! (A hard choice between Talonflame and Braviary)
Reason for liking Flying-types: Flying is my close second favourite type, after electric. I think most flying types are beautiful, graceful, and powerful, and with their high speed and attacking stats they suit my battle style well. Birds are some of my favourite animals irl as well. :)

A very hard question! I can't pick just one. I love Noibat as they're absolutely adorable and fluffy, and grow into the speedy and powerful Noivern. I love Talonflame as they're just incredibly cool looking, powerful, and based off one of my favourite animals, the peregrine falcon. I also adore Rufflet and Braviary. Other favourites include Altaria, Pidgeot, Staraptor, and Articuno.

Hi Luxray, welcome! Love birds in real life - have any favourite species that you'd like to see turned into flying types? I'm still waiting for the day they make a hummingbird pokemon though I look forward to seeing what species they use in the future.

Talonflme is definitely incredibly cool looking! I kinda regret not picking one up in X/Y as it seems like a lot of people have used and enjoyed one. The whole fire/flying thing's really cool too.

I like your choice in other flying types too! Don't think I've ever used Noivern but I really like how they created a bat pokemon that's creation was something outside of being a constant cave encounter. Altaria's really fluffy and adorable too. :]

Years
Hi Luxray, welcome! Love birds in real life - have any favourite species that you'd like to see turned into flying types? I'm still waiting for the day they make a hummingbird pokemon though I look forward to seeing what species they use in the future.

Talonflme is definitely incredibly cool looking! I kinda regret not picking one up in X/Y as it seems like a lot of people have used and enjoyed one. The whole fire/flying thing's really cool too.

I like your choice in other flying types too! Don't think I've ever used Noivern but I really like how they created a bat pokemon that's creation was something outside of being a constant cave encounter. Altaria's really fluffy and adorable too. :]

My favourite group of birds, the raptors, already have plenty of pokemon based off them, so I'd like to see a colourful parrot pokemon, maybe based off an Australian species? There are plenty of unique and beautiful Cockatoo species, such as Sulphur-Crested, Major Mitchell's, Galah and Black Cockatoos.

I will have to say Articuno, I just think it's one of the most beautiful pokemon ever, not just out of the flying types. Zapdos is a close second, it's really cool looking and I just love that electric/flying typing.

To understand why I like Aerodactyl, a person must first read the below story of South West England, Spearow TCG cards, dinosaurs and the world turning upside down. Read on for the first segment of Squirrel: My Psychopathic Neighbour. Coming to a store near you! ;]

Spoiler:

Alongside being saved by Aerodactyl, I've always really liked dinosaurs as seen by my childhood ambitions to be a T-Rex and all that. Pterodactyls are probably one of my favourite species as they're one of the only winged dinosaurs. That in itself is pretty cool. I also really like Aerodactyl's design as it just gives off a feeling of a pokemon you'd want to use. Overall I likes it design and I like dinosaurs though I've never actually used an Aerodactyl outside of escaping my crazy neighbour. But it's still awesome regardless!

This is a great story, love it! ^_^
However, I just want to correct you on something- Pterodactyls aren't dinosaurs, they're a species of of Pterosaur, a closely related yet distinctly separate family. I'm sorry, prehistoric life is kinda my thing so I couldn't help but say something :3c

I've got some good news though, birds are so closely related to dinosaurs that they ARE in fact dinosaurs. That means you can go around telling people "I ate dinosaur for dinner last night" and you wouldn't be wrong! Yet another reason why I love birds and the flying type- they're the surviving relics of a magnificent era long passed. :)

Years
Alright, let's join, why don't we.

Name: Pendraflare
Your two partner Pokémon: Crobat (Vampira) and Altaria (Serenade)
Reason for liking Flying-type Pokémon: There are so many different ones and they have different types, every type to date has been paired with them so there are lots to go with.

As for my favorite Flying-type Pokémon, it's a toss-up between the two I just mentioned.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years

Moltres hands down. Fire is my favorite type and I just love Moltres' design even though it's very simple. Also it mentions in its Pokédex entry that it brings the spring when it appears, and spring is my favorite season. Moltres is just that awesome.

Olli

Years
Back when I was a small child and my house was on fire... I never tried them! Despite liking Flying-types a lot I hardly ever actually tend to train them. I think it's because I have a big policy of "DON'T RE-USE POKÉMON" when making my in-game teams and I used to spam a lot of Flying-types in previous generations, so there aren't really a lot of them left for me to try now haha. I did always like the sound of the sky battles but from looking at YouTube videos I feel like they're not at all different to regular battles which is really disappointing for such a cool concept :(
That's fair! Despite loving Flying types so much, I've yet to try them myself as well, though that's mainly due to not having played X&Y yet. In any case, I really love the concept. Even if it doesn't really change that much, it's just a cool aesthetic feature, that would just add to the experience, and I'd just want to try it just to experience it :D

Spoiler: yw
bSLth3U.png

ty i still love it just as much 8D

Articuno! Ice is one of my favourite types so I'm usually biased to those legendaries, but the image of Articuno majestically soaring over the horizon on a Winter's morning with a trail of shimmering ice slowly pouring down below her is perfect ♥ Plus dat beard so yeah. I don't like Fire-types in general so Moltres doesn't go down well with me, and although Zapdos is a cool Pokémon he just isn't as inspiring to use as Articuno feels.
No surprises here! I always liked making my way to Articuno the most, because it was the one that involved most effort. Zapdos has always been just moving through the Power Plant, and Moltres went from being in the Victory Road to being at the top of Mt. Ember, which was just as much of a straight walk as Zapdos. But Articuno had the puzzle of stopping the flow of water to reach it, and while it may be one of the most generic Pokemon puzzles there is, it still made it more satisfying to reach Articuno. And there's no question that the design is the best of the three, especially with that beard :D

On this note, can I sub out my stupid Pidgey partner and replace it with Anivia the Articuno? ♥

no gtfo done :D

623MS.png
and OlliIsTheWorst
635MS.png

Sorry Tom, I'm not satisfied with this. You're hereby banned from the club, and I'll be looking to have a little talk with your family. You better call them quickly :)

Well Emolga is my absolute fav number one as you can see! But togekiss is definately my number 2 ive always loved it even before it got that cool type changing to fairy and flying instead of having the traditional normal and flying typing. But one of the main reasons was its dex description that won me over!

Togekiss, The Jubilee Pokémon. It shares many blessings with people who respect one another's rights and avoid needless strife.As everyone knows, it visits peaceful regions, bringing them gifts of kindness and sweet blessings. It will never appear where there is strife. Its sightings have become rare recently.
I love how its the jubilee pokemon and is only nice to the people who seem to deserve it which can be like me at times! I love that about it and how its rare in the poke world now as it is in the games as well! I also love pokes that evolve through friendship which you have to have before you can get a togekiss it kinda shows those pokemon care a lot about theyre trainers! Other things was its coloring and amazing use in battle as well especially with air slash and thunder wave with super luck! Its also an extremely cute pokemon itself although i dont like its current sprite cause it makes it look like it has no neck its been so cute throughout the games and if you find a pic i bet you'll love how cute it is! Ive always been attracted to it and Altaria as my #3 those 3 have never changed yet so im quite confident in them as great pokes and adorable <3
Oooh. I'd never read its Pokedex entry before, but it definitely does sound like a sweet Pokemon :o But then again, its design in general points towards this, and I wouldn't really have expected anything else with the happy-go-lucky personality that Misty's Togepi had in the anime haha. I do agree that its current sprite is kinda derpy though, but hopefully that'll be fixed in future games :)

Altaria is definitely an understandable Pokemon to like! I've always personally really liked the designs of Swablu and Altaria, but I've never really found myself using them, though from what I understand, they're pretty decent in battle as well. But yeah, I think it's one of the more common favourite Flying types out there, so can't say I'm too surprised!

Name: Wicked3DS
Your two Partner Pokémon: Charizard and Crobat
Reason for liking Flying-types: Being able to fly is awesome! Flying-types tend to have good Speed and attacking stats, which are very important to me. They also seem to have a lot of cool and unique designs since they can be combined with literally any other type.
Hey! Welcome to the club. Great to see you like Flying types as well :) I agree that their versatility in the amount of types they can combine with really adds to how great of a type it is, and as someone else mentioned, at this point, almost every Flying type has been paired up with another typing, which I guess shows that Gamefreak also puts a lot of emphasis on this.

I'd like to hear why you picked your partner Pokemon though. Is it just because they're strong Pokemon or have good designs, or do you have certain experiences with them that just made them memorable Pokemon for you? :o

Why do I like flying types? They're all so cute! Birds are so precious and every bird Pokemon I've come across has been adorable. Of course, the non-bird flying types are also very cute. Flying sounds so cool- soaring through the skies has always been a dream of mine. Flying with my beloved Pokemon sounds so amazing! A thing about flying types is that the sky is their domain only. They're like the royalty of the sky! There are some really awesome flying type moves too, like brave bird and sky attack.

Hey! Great to see you joined as well. Welcome to the club :)

I've always personally found Flying types to be more fierce and graceful that I've found them to be cute, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. It may honestly have been bias, but Pidgey was the first Pokemon that came to mind when I joined the old Cute Club back in the day, simply because I've always found it to have this distinct cuteness to it, even if its facial expression is typically an angry one haha. And I feel like this also applies to some of the other bird Pokemon.

Jumpluff is a great choice for a partner! I've always really liked it, but it seems most people have just shrugged it off as being bad because its first stage is Hoppip, which is arguably one of the weaker Pokemon in the game, and it doesn't really go through as cool a transformation as Magikarp upon evolving D: But yeah, I've always found Jumpluff to be a pretty funny idea for a Pokemon, and I've always loooved the colours of its design.

I'm definitely loving your second generation picks though :D Natu is another interesting Pokemon, and I've always really liked it for being one of the few Flying/Psychic types out there, as Psychic is another one of my favourite typings. But yeah, I'd like to know why you picked that one as your second partner :)

This is really a pro of the flying type, flying types exist in many flavors. About every other type can combine itself with flying. It's almost impossible to hate the flying type Pokémon, because there will always be one of your liking.
I see flying often as a bonus type given to some airborne Pokémon, considering the fact that most flying types are primary some other type, looking at the fact that every flying Pokémon (except Noibat, Noivern and Tornadus) is typed ???/flying, even the normal birds, in which you can consider their flying type as their main type, still they're normal/flying.
Definitely this! I honestly never noticed that the dual typing was a thing that applied for almost every Flying type, although I did notice that most bird Pokemon that didn't carry any kind of theme to it are always made Normal/Flying, and I've always found that kind of odd. It kinda makes the match-up against Fighting types less favourable, but oh well. i reckon it's something Gamefreak has just opted to do with any Pokemon that are just based on birds, so it would make sense. It may also have something to do with the Bird type, that the Flying type was originally supposed to be, but I don't know :p

Yes, that would be a huge advantage, but the same goes for other elements. Digging Pokémon can do the same in loose ground, swimming Pokémon can do the same in lakes or seas. The difference is that air is present everywhere and can always be used in advantage, unless some type of roof prevents flying far away. This must be the reason Gym Battles are organised indoors.
Valid points, although there's usually more distinct counters to Pokemon being underground or in a body of water. I mean, if we follow the anime style of battle, any Electric type move should be effective on a Pokemon in water, and there are several moves that affect Pokemon underground, whereas the sky is such a vast space to move around in, and it'd be much easier to dodge anything thrown at you, as well as position yourself properly for attack. It makes sense for gym battles to take place indoors to remove this advantage, though I believe most battles with Flying type gym leaders have taken place outdoors in the anime, so I don't know how much that applies there haha.

I think the partner Pokémon actually must have the flying type, not the ability to use Fly. Not all flying types can learn Fly anyway (think Pokémon like Butterfree or Gliscor). Interesting reason for liking flying types though.
Don't worry about him. He knows, he's just being a troll haha :p

Another person who likes birds yay! Welcome to the club! Enjoy your time here :)

I really like your picks for partner Pokemon. I'm happy to see that the sixth generation brought forth some new Flying types that became rather popular, after the 5th generation, which I found to be rather lackluster compared to most of the other generations. I was never really too impressed with Noibat and Noivern, as the bat Pokemon were never really my favourite, though I liked the Fletchling line from the moment I saw it. I especially find Talonflame to be one of the better designed bird Pokemon in a while, and while I may not have played X&Y yet, from what I've heard it's also supposed to be pretty strong, which hasn't always been the case with the birds :D But I definitely like all of your picks for your favourite Flying types; you can never have too many birds ;)

I'm interested in knowing the origin of the name of your Noibat though. It may be unrelated, but the name just caught my eye :o

I will have to say Articuno, I just think it's one of the most beautiful pokemon ever, not just out of the flying types. Zapdos is a close second, it's really cool looking and I just love that electric/flying typing.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who likes Zapdos, although I can see why it's not the favourite for most people haha. Not surprised about Articuno though, it is arguably the most beautifully designed of the 3, but I guess that typically comes with the Ice types. Always so elegant ;o;

Alright, let's join, why don't we.

Name: Pendraflare
Your two partner Pokémon: Crobat (Vampira) and Altaria (Serenade)
Reason for liking Flying-type Pokémon: There are so many different ones and they have different types, every type to date has been paired with them so there are lots to go with.

As for my favorite Flying-type Pokémon, it's a toss-up between the two I just mentioned.
Hey! Great to see you in the club :)

I'd love to hear why you picked your two partners! If I remember correctly, I think you might one of the people who hang out in Challenges, and there seems to be an obsession with the Altaria line over there, though even if that's not the case, I'd love to hear why you like both Crobat and Altaria :)

Moltres hands down. Fire is my favorite type and I just love Moltres' design even though it's very simple. Also it mentions in its Pokédex entry that it brings the spring when it appears, and spring is my favorite season. Moltres is just that awesome.
Ooh, I never knew about the spring thing, that's definitely cool though :o Personally I was never a huge fan of Moltres, although I think that may have come with bad experiences when trying to use it in my Blue version. Its moveset was absolutely horrid back then, but I always expected it to be strong for being a legendary, so I always set myself up for disaster by using it in the E4 D: But when judging by design, I definitely think it's prettier than Zapdos :p

An interesting thing to think about is what would of happened if a different bird pokemon had been there instead of Pidgey. Do you think a pokemon like Spearow would of become your favourite instead or do you still think you'd of ended up with Pidgey as your favourite? It's always cool thinking about what could of happened if Gamefreak hadn't put certain pokemon in earlier gens or earlier routes in games.

I think the reason why I went for Starly was because it was so early on in the game. If it had waited till say, post fourth gym then I'd never of even considered training one. Kinda funny thinking about how putting a pokemon earlier in the game makes all the difference.

Goddamnit Sophie, your post was so long that it became really difficult to move it in the editor :( (also sorry for responding to your post last but 2 long man stop being me)

If I'm gonna be honest, I don't think Pidgey would've been my favourite Pokemon, had it not been the first one I caught. The fact that I've always liked birds definitely plays a role in it being my favourite, but there's really nothing to Pidgey that gives it any edge over most of the other bird Pokemon. It's definitely not the strongest bird out there, its design isn't really special in any way, and if you've ever seen its sprite from the original Blue version, it just looks like a bird without much of the Pokemon flare to it. But the fact that it was the first Pokemon I caught and trained to lv. 100 just gives it such a huge edge over any other Pokemon in the game, and it was what set me up for using one at any given opportunity, which has only made me like it even more :p

I do think that placing Pokemon earlier on in the game does a lot to the likelihood of catching it, especially if you're a new player to the games. If you don't really know about most of the early-game Pokemon usually being the weaker ones, there isn't really anything to stop you from catching whatever Pokemon you find in the first few areas, and even for seasoned Pokemon players, when playing through a new generation for the first time, there's always the sense of wonder with the new Pokemon that make you want to catch them, even if you know they're probably not gonna be the strongest Pokemon on your team. I've always found myself trying to cram as many Pokemon into my team as fast as possible, so I usually don't catch that many mid-game, so I definitely understand you when you say you probably wouldn't have caught it had it been past the fourth gym haha.

Spoiler:

That was a wild ride from start to finish. Still would've been more realistic if it had happened in South-East Asia though. I won't comment on the story because I cba to bother with quotes rn, but you should totally finish it and post it in FF&W, and I'll give my comments :D

I can imagine a lot of people who like Aerodactyl like it for the pterodactyl-based design, so seems like a valid reason :D But yeah, I've always found it to look really fierce and menacing, and I find that to be one of the qualities I like about a lot of the Flying types, so I'm all with you on this choice :D

Honestly I like all of them! I've always been a little creeped out by Articuno's beard though. :(

I think my favourite's Moltres. Though it has nothing in its design to set it apart from its mythology counterpart, I really like phoenixes so I guess I can't say I'm too disappointed. If Articuno didn't have that beard it'd certainly be my favourite out of the bunch though. Ice, ice baby.
y u hatin on articuno's beard :(( I honestly forgot that Moltres was based on a phoenix though, so seems legit :D But would it still be your favourite if you learned that it stole Arcanine's spot as a legendary Pokemon? Would you, Rainbow Arcanine?!

Alright guys! For those who've been following it, our club's Pidgey has now evolved into a beautiful Pidgeotto, and is currently in the process of learning Whirlwind. A poll is up to decide on what will happen with the move, though I can imagine it'd be pretty one sided. But yeah, I'd love for you all to take a second to decide which move should be replaced, or if the move shouldn't be learned :)

milk!

oh yeah!
Years
I'm definitely loving your second generation picks though :D Natu is another interesting Pokemon, and I've always really liked it for being one of the few Flying/Psychic types out there, as Psychic is another one of my favourite typings. But yeah, I'd like to know why you picked that one as your second partner :)

Truthfully, the reason I picked Natu... It's just so adorable! It's a tiny bird shaped like a ball, what's not to love? It's cry is super cute, too. I'd love to hold one in real life!

Back