• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Someone in the spanish community Whack a Hack! and I found a small bug with the tool, @esperance.
Apparently, if you modify 2 cries in a row the 2nd one doesn't work In-Game. It doesn't freeze the ROM or anything but it just doesn't sound.
I've recorded a small video showing it, I basically replaced Charmander's and Charmeleon's cries with Rowlet's and Dartrix's.

Years
Someone in the spanish community Whack a Hack! and I found a small bug with the tool, @esperance.
Apparently, if you modify 2 cries in a row the 2nd one doesn't work In-Game. It doesn't freeze the ROM or anything but it just doesn't sound.
I've recorded a small video showing it, I basically replaced Charmander's and Charmeleon's cries with Rowlet's and Dartrix's.
The problem persists :/

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jan 13, 2018
I'm having the same problem as well.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 17, 2022
How do I repoint a cry without Bulbasaur's cry being replaced? Using an expanded ROM. Thanks!

Years
I'm trying to edit cries with 774 pokemon in the rom. But when i load the game on the cry editor, it just shows blank spaces... Can someone help me?

Flare7940

Oh, awful, my Klinklang became rusty!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 22, 2022
Help me please!

GazarzHr39Q.jpg

Last edited:
Years
I'm having trouble using extended pokedex.
I have the correct offsets, number of pokemons, growls offsets...
But when I enter all the creatures, using PGE, I save the addresses, but still in the game the expanded pokemons are mute. Until the volume at the time they are accessed the sound disappears, but they make no sound. I need deeper insights on how to have no problems.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
How exactly would I use this to replace the cries of the 25 unown slots? I don't want to have to expand the number of Pokémon until I've exceeded 25 new species, but even then everyone else seems to be having an issue where it'll replace Bulbasaur's cry with the imported one.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
You can't, because they don't have one by default. You have to make a new table for those 25 slots' cries.
I honestly never messed around with that too much, but I remember there was this tutorial written in French that explains how to do it.

Actually, they DO have their own cries. It's a duplicate of Unown - one for each slot. Most programs and tools just refuse to support those slots, though, because "MuH eXpAnDeD tAbLeS . !"

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Actually, they DO have their own cries. It's a duplicate of Unown - one for each slot. Most programs and tools just refuse to support those slots, though, because "MuH eXpAnDeD tAbLeS . !"
If you look at the disassembly and decompilation projects (which even if you don't use them for serious ROM Hacking, can still be used as a complement in many binary hacking related tasks), you would notice that Unown only seems to have 1 cry. What its formes do is simply play that same cry. They don't have one of their own.
Naturally, that means that if you change Unown's cry you'll also be changing its formes' cries.
The funny thing is, that you'll also be modifying the cries for the 25 empty slots between Celebi and Treecko, that's because those 25 slots are duplicated data of the Unown Formes.
What I'm trying to say here, is that there isn't a duplicate of any cry. Both, the Old and the New data for the Unown Formes play the same cry, Unown's.

With that being said and as I mentioned before, the tutorial written in French that I linked before explains to you how to make a proper cry table for those 25 slots, so you can insert 25 different cries for those 25 slots.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
If you look at the disassembly and decompilation projects (which even if you don't use them for serious ROM Hacking, can still be used as a complement in many binary hacking related tasks), you would notice that Unown only seems to have 1 cry. What its formes do is simply play that same cry. They don't have one of their own.
Naturally, that means that if you change Unown's cry you'll also be changing its formes' cries.
The funny thing is, that you'll also be modifying the cries for the 25 empty slots between Celebi and Treecko, that's because those 25 slots are duplicated data of the Unown Formes.
What I'm trying to say here, is that there isn't a duplicate of any cry. Both, the Old and the New data for the Unown Formes play the same cry, Unown's.

With that being said and as I mentioned before, the tutorial written in French that I linked before explains to you how to make a proper cry table for those 25 slots, so you can insert 25 different cries for those 25 slots.

I've seen tutorials explaining explicitly that they have their own cry as a duplicate , but whatever.

Years
I'm trying to extract/edit using a Japanese FireRed ROM using the program but when I put it in there's garbled Japanese text instead of the Pokemon names. I need help please!!!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
It uses the names from the rom itself, so that will be all you will get. So if you want to use a Japanese rom with this, you will need to count the spots to get to your Pokemon (there are several ?????????? in between Treecko and Celebi if that helps).
Unless you really need it to be the Japanese rom for some reason, I would say using the English rom would be better.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 14, 2022
Not sure if this is still being updated, but I would like to point out that the reason why the compressed cries sound so bad. While the compression does lower the sound quality a bit, there should not be any crackling/clipping sounds. It happens because the compression method is flawed. I found this out as I was making a tool for myself to mass import cries for new pokemons and was using a similar approach to compress them. :tongue-poke:

Below are the detail explainations if OP/anyone is interested (also refer to cry compression thread):
The compression works by writing each change between samples in a half-byte instead of actual sample in a full byte. It uses the half-byte to looks up a fixed table and determine the actual change in level. However, as half-byte is very limited (only 16 types of change), we have to compromise and use the closest change instead (as this tool does). It may not be very accurate but that how lossy compression works. This sounds all good in theory but here is the problem.

As the acual sample is limited by a byte, but each sample keeps applying this approximated change without question, the sound level can sometimes overflow/underflow. Basically, some samples will go over 0xFF or under 0x00 after the change and therefore jump to the opposite direction. That's why it makes these crackling sounds. It is still audible partly because the compression re-samples every block.

To fix this, you need to keep track of the sample value after each changes, and prevent it from overflowing/underflowing. I've tried it and that results in much better sound quality without those noises.

I think the compression can be pretty important when you want to include lots of pokemons in the rom, as the sizes of cries are huge and the compression can basically cut it by half. :disbelief:

Hope this is helpful. Also, thanks to this tool and the original cry compression thread, I've really learned a lot! :love:

Back