• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: [CSDCC] the weather channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Okay, what is really the difference between college and university 'cause as a non-native English speaker I am lost here. :S

Well, as far as I know, a college is a school place of higher learning. When it comes to a university, it typically means a very large, well-funded school of higher learning. What really separates a university from a college is the larger size, broader range of classes and level of degrees available. Almost all universities offer undergraduate and postgraduate education, while a college may only offer undergraduate classes. Also, a university usually does more research than a college, if only because it has more money.

Years
    You know, when I went to private school I actually felt like I had to do homework most of the time. But in newer college classes I feel like I don't have to take much into what i'm given, but there is a lot of participation involved in class activities, and there are papers i'm given to do as well.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    There's the explanation I've needed! Always wasn't sure what the difference between a Uni and a college was in America since college is what we call High School here.

Also, hi, I'm supporter now, or something

Yaay! Congratz and welcome to the party :D

Seriously, every time I see someone who's pretty much everywhere on the forums become a suporter, I have to double take and remember if they were a supporter before or not xD

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    ...Ah. I finally get it. You Americans and your confusing English lol. And then there's still the whole cousin thing that I don't get.

University student doesn't roll well off the tongue though haha. But yeah, I'm actually in what you call a University.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    There's the explanation I've needed! Always wasn't sure what the difference between a Uni and a college was in America since college is what we call High School here.

Yaay! Congratz and welcome to the party :D

Seriously, every time I see someone who's pretty much everywhere on the forums become a suporter, I have to double take and remember if they were a supporter before or not xD

I've wanted to become one ever since I've got 1,000 posts, but I don't understand paypal and creditcards. Gimmepie was amazing by donating in my name. Once I'll figure out how PayPal works, I'll make someone else supporter.

Yay, now you can join the Supporter Mafia, which is like the most important thread here other than the DCC ;) But I see you did so welcome :33

Why else would you donate? :)

Is university in America the same as over here, in that only the intellectual elite go to it? America confuses me so much :/

Years
    Well, as far as I know, a college is a school place of higher learning. When it comes to a university, it typically means a very large, well-funded school of higher learning. What really separates a university from a college is the larger size, broader range of classes and level of degrees available. Almost all universities offer undergraduate and postgraduate education, while a college may only offer undergraduate classes. Also, a university usually does more research than a college, if only because it has more money.

I honestly wouldn't say "lower". There are things here called community colleges, which people perceive as lower but honestly isn't so; it's for people who just don't have the budget to go to a full-out university. So basically, they graduate with their associates degree in said community college, and then transfer to their desired university for free and continue off as a junior.

I've attended both a university and college in Canada, and I still have no accurate description of what the difference between them are.

From my personal experience, the university I attended placed an unnecessarily large amount of emphasis on theoretical learning instead of having putting that knowledge students learn into practice, and this could be extrapolated to other universities. Unless students at the said institution had co-op, in which they would gain experience while studying for their undergraduate degree, they're simply absorbing the information and not doing much with it until they have graduated and obtained a job.

That being said, I find that the college I attend provides plenty of opportunities for getting practical experience. I believe someone once told me that professors at colleges do not have higher degrees and do not participate in research, unlike their university counterparts, but not entirely sure how accurate that information is.

At the same though, it could be because I studied two completely different fields; I went from psychology at university to IT in college. That's probably why I have a general hatred for institutions shoving as much information into our heads as mentally possible in the 4 years we are attending it. Albeit psychology did consist of textbook readings, and a generous amount of it, plenty of my friends in different fields go through the same.

Candy

Years
    I've wanted to become one ever since I've got 1,000 posts, but I don't understand paypal and creditcards. Gimmepie was amazing by donating in my name. Once I'll figure out how PayPal works, I'll make someone else supporter.

Over here I'm struggling on my PayPal thanks to the lack of a credit card. But yeah, I think that's the agenda of many supporters who got their supportership from others haha. But first, I want my Crystal name.

I have to admit that as far as my first year in university shows, there's definitely a lot of research coming up in the later years.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Over here I'm struggling on my PayPal thanks to the lack of a credit card. But yeah, I think that's the agenda of many supporters who got their supportership from others haha. But first, I want my Crystal name.

I have to admit that as far as my first year in university shows, there's definitely a lot of research coming up in the later years.

Creditcards are very rare over here, I don't know anyone that has them.

So is American uni for only the smartest people, or can anyone with enough money just join?

TY

I don't see them very often either, but I managed to magically combine Paypal with my monies so I don't even have to worry about one

Years
    I don't use my credit card much at all. If i'm gonna have to pay later, then what's the point? I guess people might use it for big payments they have to do, but i'm still not big on it.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I was lucky enough to have an amazing dad. All I had to do was explain to him how hard Steve works to keep this alive, and he was willing to help out. I thought of donating more money, but I haven't really had the chance. I don't have intentions of becoming platinum... I just want to help Steve out because he helped me at one time for something I can't really say. :x He probably doesn't really remember anyway.

That's why I donated though. I wanted to do something to make up for what he did for me a while back. Plus, he's always doing his best just to keep PC alive and kicking, despite all of it's hiccups and such.

Skip Class

Years
    Becoming a supporter was the first thing I did when I was allowed a debit card.

Credit cards I still don't really need right now and a debit card can buy me my online stuff so that's all I need at this point of time.

Candy

Years
    The problem with my current debit card is that my bank doesn't allow it, so... eh.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I'd love to donate for others, but all the people I wanted to donate for... they've found other ways to get it. So, I've never really had the chance to donate for other people. :/ That, and I often don't even think about it because I'm forgetful

Skip Class

Years
    Honestly one day I'm just gonna donate a bunch of money and then give supporterships to people anonymously like Santa Claus on Random Act of Kindness day or something for the heck of it. Also like making people happy cause why the hell not.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I've only ever donated the $25 for crystal. But there's been a lot of times when I've though about donating for other people, I just either didn't have the money or it would say that my card wasn't accepted though it didn't give a reason why or anything.

Years
    I've donated up to the crystal tier, but both were in separate helpings, I think the first was $17. Wasn't hard for me to give up what I needed to offer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back