• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: [CSDCC] the weather channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    English and Chemistry were the worse. 8th grade was the worst year ever because in English we were dissecting the sentences and each sentence took at least 10 minutes to tear apart and half of us didn't even get it right. The teacher ended up just giving up on it and moved on because. And then Chemistry and I have just never gotten along. I managed to squeeze by my 8th grade year because we had a student teacher that didn't know what he was doing for the majority of the year. 7th grade I got a B in chem but only because my parent hounded me and complained to the teacher enough that I could redo some assignments. When I took it my Sophomore, Junior and Senior year (Chem I all the way) I failed to pass it all three times but I hated Biology even more so I stuck with chem, and I hated the idea of not being able to do it so I just kept on tackling it. I hate losing.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I know the feeling all too well :c

The professor I have for Discreet Mathematics (Computer Logics) is from India. His accent isn't bad, but he goes so damn fast it's not funny. He'll do like, two examples on the board, and suddenly expect you know how to do it via osmosis. It's really infuriating. I'm failing the course right now, but I'm sticking to it for the notes, then I'll attempt it again. I was considering ditching the final exam, but I don't know if that'd be in my best interests.
    When I hear "discrete mathematics," I'm imagining "pssst. the root of 144 is 12. just between you and me, you get me? on the down low. mono e mono. incognito."

As for teachers that teach like that, gah I love those teachers. That's how my geometry teacher was - he was so lazy but he explained things incredibly effectively, in as few words as possible. He just slapped stuff onto a powerpoint and said "this is how you do it." No big deal.

That just means you are a natural at the subject. :P
    Does that mean I'm a natural at learning? I can just watch the lecture and ace the test afterward if I put a minimum of interest into it.

My grades suffered because I didn't care.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    What actually is Calculus? I'm not American so I've always wondered :o

Stupid. Nah, calculus is the study of change. You use math to figure out how different things change. Like looking at how the area of a lake changes as you add water over time and stuff (to put it simply).

It's not as difficult or mysterious as many people think.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    At first glance Cal seemed a lot easier than everyone made it out to be. Granted I was only in class for about a month before I switched out to make time for weightlifting. I looked through the book at the different chapters and none of it seemed that hard. It's like the people that complain about how hard trig is when actually its one of the easiest things in the world.

Years
    At first glance Cal seemed a lot easier than everyone made it out to be. Granted I was only in class for about a month before I switched out to make time for weightlifting. I looked through the book at the different chapters and none of it seemed that hard. It's like the people that complain about how hard trig is when actually its one of the easiest things in the world.
    See, I actually liked trig. Not sure why. But I thought it was one of the most fun math courses I've ever taken. I also seemed to take it to slightly better than some other kinds I've taken.

But calc though. Just ugh. Did not like it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    You know...I'm gonna have 6 weeks of summer vacation. I should take that time to refresh myself on math. I took College Algebra last time and it's been forever, and I've forgotten like...half of the material. D:

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Thank goodness I wouldn't need much math as far as programming goes (or so I've heard) >.>;;; Would be a nightmare if I needed a shitton of it

Where have you heard that? You need lots of math for programming!

When you program, you're usually applying math and logic in some form or another. You don't need some of the crazy theoretical math out there, but a game wouldn't be possible without a bunch of geometry, and any basic algorithm needs a bit of math.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    From a friend of mine who majors in computer engineering. You would need math for engineering, but you would need just to think logically for programming.

I don't wanna start an argument, so I'll just say logic can only get you so far.

Try looking up something like 3D projection or ray casting and you'll see what I mean.

Certainly, engineering requires more, but you can't ignore the amount of math needed for programming.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Oh, this topic explains why the DCC is 2 + 2 = 4 lol.

Math is actually my favorite subject, and honestly I'd prefer to get a degree in Math, but noooo your Chemistry and Biology scores are much better go to Pharmacy instead yeah right mom, dad, I now get lots of memorization involved and not enough calculations for me to enjoy boo. :T

Yes, I'm a Math geek

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
    Math is actually my favorite subject, and honestly I'd prefer to get a degree in Math, but noooo your Chemistry and Biology scores are much better go to Pharmacy instead yeah right mom, dad, I now get lots of memorization involved and not enough calculations for me to enjoy boo. :T
    Why are your parents choosing what you get to learn?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    Thank goodness I wouldn't need much math as far as programming goes (or so I've heard) >.>;;; Would be a nightmare if I needed a shitton of it
    If you're applying that math in and of itself in the program, like say in a 3D graph plotting program or something, then yeah. Otherwise everything up to exponents and (occasionally) roots is the most you'll ever use. I did use some trig once in a DPI calculator but all I needed was a quick refresher and I could get back to programming. It's all about the logic flow, and that's even more apparent in object-oriented programming.

As a developer that's what I say. I write all sorts of code so I merely speak from experience.

Candy

Years
    Why are your parents choosing what you get to learn?

It's more of a recommendation, and I actually considered going to that major lol. Just a mini rant since what I got was a ton of memorization instead, and I hate memorizing haha I miss Stoichiometry...

Also because when I entered college I was using the scores on my report card and my Math scores in it was rather low thanks to my Math teachers being stingy as fuck ¬_¬

Years
    The last math class I took was algebra, in 2013, before I transferred to a university. I didn't have to try too hard on the work too often as we would usually go over the questions in class afterward, and we had two take-home tests. The final was an open book exam that allowed us to use all our notes for assistance. I remember it because immediately afterward, my parents got me from college to get to the airport so we could go to St. Louis.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    I think college is going to be more or less a walk in the park. Just like high school, just like middle school, and just like elementary school as far as coursework goes.

I'm probably going to walk into whatever job I have with a lot more know-how than an AAS would provide lol, I actually care about my major and the material. It's relevant unlike some of the humanities in college, or the stupid shit they teach you in secondary school. Talk about stuff I'm never going to see again, eh

Candy

Years
    Okay, what is really the difference between college and university 'cause as a non-native English speaker I am lost here. :S

Also, random rant. So my lecturer wants to hold extra classes and said that she's free on Mondays and Tuesdays. However, our only free time was at Monday noon, while if we go for afternoon at 4 PM we can stay 'til as late as 7 PM and probably won't focus that well.

Now here's the thing. Last Monday we agreed to have an extra class, but she got into sudden business, so it ended up getting pushed back... again. Now, the thing is that the students (aka all of us) are already too tired on getting schedules pushed back again and again and again, so we all agreed on holding it on Thursday afternoon just so we can at least get some materials running.

Guess who got mad at us for going with the afternoon schedule?

Yeah, mam. Get mad at the students when you're the one to blame for pushing back the schedule all the time when we're just trying to catch up to our lessons. Go figure.

I had to get that off my chest, sorry.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    wut i thought 2 + 2 was 5. :< lol kidding

I never went to either. I had a hard enough time getting through high school. Plus, most colleges aren't too keen on helping people with special learning needs, so going to college has always been really low for me. I get too homesick for a university and probably too fed-up with stress from a community college. D:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't even know if I'm able to finish high school this year. Although that might come because of the 9 months of sickness, but still. It sucks to think I might be here for another year.

Also, hi, I'm supporter now, or something

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back