• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat -- Autumn and/or Spring Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    French wasn't horribly hard, it's descended from Latin so it shares a lot with modern English. I imagine the same could be said of Spanish and Italian. Though I never had a teacher that could really teach the language so I know very little of it.

I think I'd love to learn German, it's so similar to English, yet still sounds foreign. Even though I know that that's because of the influence of the Germanic tribes who came over to England after the Romans left Britain.

...What makes you think I'm a history nerd? D:

Years
    French wasn't horribly hard, it's descended from Latin so it shares a lot with modern English. I imagine the same could be said of Spanish and Italian. Though I never had a teacher that could really teach the language so I know very little of it.

I think I'd love to learn German, it's so similar to English, yet still sounds foreign. Even though I know that that's because of the influence of the Germanic tribes who came over to England after the Romans left Britain.

...What makes you think I'm a history nerd? D:

Can't forget the Norman French who made English unnecessarily complicated when they invaded and controlled England. n_n

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    The only thing weird about French is all those letters they leave completely unpronounced when saying a word. n_n
    Pronunciation is actually the easy part of French. At first glance, it seems weird, but it's always the same, so once you've figured it out, you should know how to pronounce everything.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I guess I'm biased because French is my first language, but it isn't that hard to learn. In my opinion, English is much harder of a language to learn. It only took me about six months to learn it, but it was incredibly frustrating.

Yuoaman

Years
    Can't forget the Norman French who made English unnecessarily complicated when they invaded and controlled England. n_n

I know. D:

But I stopped myself before I went into too much detail.

Pronunciation is actually the easy part of French. At first glance, it seems weird, but it's always the same, so once you've figured it out, you should know how to pronounce everything.

It's much easier than English where words have Latin, Greek, and German roots; French only has Latin roots for the most part. Though there are a lot of English loanwords, especially in Quebecois French.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I know. D:

But I stopped myself before I went into too much detail.
    Haha, I learned about that in both French and English class last year, and have been bugging people with the story ever since.

I guess I'm biased because French is my first language, but it isn't that hard to learn. In my opinion, English is much harder of a language to learn. It only took me about six months to learn it, but it was incredibly frustrating.
    That's pretty amazing. I've been in French class for 3 years, and I could still never hope to hold a conversation.

And I've been attempting to teach myself Japanese over the Summer, after being completely surrounded by it for about 4 years straight. It's just not possible. lol

Last edited:

Yuoaman

Years
    Haha, I learned about that in both French and English class last year, and have been bugging people with the story ever since.

That's pretty amazing. I've been in French class for 3 years, and I could still never hope to hold a conversation.

And I've been attempting to teach myself Japanese over the Summer, after being completely surrounded by it for about 4 years straight. It's just not possible. lol

I know what you mean, I've tried. Asian languages are just so much different than Western languages. It's like trying to learn how to digest with your hair or something.

Years
    Spanish came really easily for me when I learned it in High school. I was able to somewhat hold conversations with my Spanish teacher. She taught it to us, though, like it's taught to children in Mexico; ergo, we started off with the alphabet, and et cetera. I think that's how everyone should start learning Latin-based languages XD

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks to my Mom, who is Hispanic, I can pretty much understand everything that people are saying when they speak the language. However, I still can't seem to really hold too much of a conversation on my own when it comes to the language. I'm a sad half-Hispanic; I can't even roll my R's.

Yuoaman

Years
    Spanish came really easily for me when I learned it in High school. I was able to somewhat hold conversations with my Spanish teacher. She taught it to us, though, like it's taught to children in Mexico; ergo, we started off with the alphabet, and et cetera. I think that's how everyone should start learning Latin-based languages XD

We started in Grade One, so I took it for nine years, and I still have a very limited grasp of the language.

Years
    Well, I only had three years of it, and only two of it consisted of me learning most of the grammar. XD;
    It just seems that most grammar books don't teach you how to say something first, which is something I find crucial in learning a language. You can learn all about it, but it doesn't mean much until you learn the pronunciation and are able to confidently use it. Lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    That's the sexiest thing ever. If you could, I mean.
    Hahaha. Too bad I can't then, huh.

I think partly the reason why I didn't learn much more Spanish in school is because I was too lazy to really care. "I can understand it. Why do I need to learn otherwise" was probably my thoughts. Kind of regret it now, but oh well.

My mom went onto my laptop, and then next thing I know I have a 'Espanol' option to my languages. *sigh*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back