• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Normally not this quiet... Congrats though!

So today I decided to get a PS Vita for exploiting and homebrew and whatnot, but I didn't realize the exploit needed a memory card... There's also no standard memory cards that it uses, not even a micro sd adapter ;__;
I know a guy who got a Vita off of eBay and it was stuck in kiosk mode, haha.

Anyways, I've been working with VMs a lot lately, and here's my latest one I'm installing (Vista)..
ypXQOoL.png

Already have an XP VM as well. :P

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
This reminds me back then when I was obsessed with collecting several old OS inside of VMs years before I joined here, I still remember my experience when I'm installing Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, and even Windows XP, they feel nostalgic for me these days.

And I think the latest VMs that I installed was one of the Windows, and Ubuntu as well.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Happy three years of moderation, Snivy sni! <3

I still feel kind of bad for indirectly causing someone else's computer to get stuck booting Windows...

Years
  • Age 34
  • they/them
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Y'all go installing VMs, I just put them on my friend's profile.

:B

Yes, I'm not very techy.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Years ago I attempted to install OSX snow leopard on virtualbox as an experiment. It installed but ran slowly. Got all the important devices working like internet on it.

Has anyone tried the Linux Subsystem on Windows? (bash)? Got it running on my laptop. Currently just using it for learning python.

Years
Well Google Chrome decided to axe GDI support from their browser, and now I'm pretty much forced to use Firefox until they issue an update that allows for GDI support.

For some reason, DirectWrite does not work properly on my computer, and now fonts look pretty much like this when they're not supposed to.

I'll be using Firefox in the meantime.

Years
Well Google Chrome decided to axe GDI support from their browser, and now I'm pretty much forced to use Firefox until they issue an update that allows for GDI support.

For some reason, DirectWrite does not work properly on my computer, and now fonts look pretty much like this when they're not supposed to.

I'll be using Firefox in the meantime.
Guess I forgot to follow up, but I managed to get the DirectWrite problems resolved. Turns out it was an issue with the Helvetica font on my computer, and uninstalling, deleting, and reinstalling the font worked.

Although I will say I still prefer GDI to DirectWrite when it comes to webfont rendering and browsing.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Guess I forgot to follow up, but I managed to get the DirectWrite problems resolved. Turns out it was an issue with the Helvetica font on my computer, and uninstalling, deleting, and reinstalling the font worked.

Although I will say I still prefer GDI to DirectWrite when it comes to webfont rendering and browsing.

Speaking of DirectWrite, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update brings back sub-pixel text anti-aliasing to Microsoft Edge, after a long absence since Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8.0 - Windows 7 versions of IE10 and 11 were not affected.

About time, I suppose. Text seems to be a lot nicer on Edge on a normal, non-high-DPI display.

Though lately I've noticed my monitor is now displaying a column as flickering dots of black lately... Seems like reds are most affected, but it's starting to look pretty distracting in videos. Lately I've been watching a lot of LinusTechTips, and... well, I think I might need to budget for a new monitor.

If only I could demo monitors...

Years
So I got a Google Cardboard-based headset for my phone and I must say - VR using my phone is super amazing when I can see everything in 3D now. I tried some desktop streaming programs so I could use some emulators in 3D and I'm absolutely blown away.
Ooh, I've seen these VR helmets around and apparently they aren't that expensive to get either.

blue

gucci
Years
I've really wanted to try one of those out for quite some time now. They were advertising one quite recently for the Samsung Galaxy S6, if the price is right then I might just get one.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Finished setting up a HP 22es and an MSI Interceptor DS200. They're a thin-design with thin bezels, IPS 21.5" monitor with HDMI and VGA inputs, matte display cover, and no bevel, that boasts Technicolor certification and no flickering backlight, and a gaming mouse with a maximum DPI of slightly over 8000 (not that it matters), a 1000 Hz polling rate (as it should), and RGB lighting (does everything has to come with it?), respectively.

There are a lot of pleasant surprises! I might write up a few reviews soon once I spend more time with it. Both have newer drivers than the provided DVDs have, so I ended up updating their drivers too. Might be a good opportunity to try out NVIDIA Fast Sync now that drivers that enable it on 900-series cards are now available, too, and give the display and mouse a workout.

Also got a new mouse pad and a Logitech C310 webcam. Not much to comment on them, aside from them working well.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I'm probably going to get a PC soon. I'm a Mac user, but it's really annoying to have a lot of stuff inaccessible because of the computer itself :c I've installed VirtualBox to run Windows, but it's a hassle and crashes a lot because it's so huge, I think.

I was thinking about getting a Surface Book because it seemed similar to a Mac and I don't need anything too intense for like gaming or whatever. I mean... that's all I know about computers.

also @ title: I remember when Zach was promoted! Dang you're old. Wait does this mean I'm old too since I remember it?

edit: I've been here 4 years?!?!

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm probably going to get a PC soon. I'm a Mac user, but it's really annoying to have a lot of stuff inaccessible because of the computer itself :c I've installed VirtualBox to run Windows, but it's a hassle and crashes a lot because it's so huge, I think.

I was thinking about getting a Surface Book because it seemed similar to a Mac and I don't need anything too intense for like gaming or whatever. I mean... that's all I know about computers.

also @ title: I remember when Zach was promoted! Dang you're old. Wait does this mean I'm old too since I remember it?

edit: I've been here 4 years?!?!

Happy 4 years of PC!

I think you might be a lot happier with a normal $1500 gaming laptop instead of a Surface Book if you don't need a tablet. Preferably something with a GTX 1060!

Even if you don't game, probably a good idea to spend at least 1000 for a laptop that is actually good. Make sure it can fit your needs, especially if it's going to be your primary computer.

Or do you prefer a desktop after all that?

Also, bought a Corsair H60 - that appeared to be the best choice on my own research without having to buy online, doing some severe violence to the height limit, or to the price-performance ratio. Hmm... The TX3 EVO I was using wasn't comfortable when I stress things really hard.

Years
My laptop was $750 when I got it 2½ years ago, and it's still running pretty good to this day.

I'm the one who needs a tower, really. It's such a pain to be using my laptop all the time and having to get under my desk to dock and undock it whenever I'm home and/or leaving somewhere and taking my laptop. :P

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
My laptop was $750 when I got it 2½ years ago, and it's still running pretty good to this day.

I'm the one who needs a tower, really. It's such a pain to be using my laptop all the time and having to get under my desk to dock and undock it whenever I'm home and/or leaving somewhere and taking my laptop. :P

Hopefully you have enough money to have a desktop that's great enough to use all the time ;)

I kind of want to sell my laptop now that I've been almost exclusively using my desktop for everything, but it's also my only laptop. Selling it would be bad if I were to need a computer while outside.

Years
Hmm, so I apparently need to take my website down whenever I do yum updates to it. At least it's as simple as stopping a service and then re-initializing it. :P

Hopefully you have enough money to have a desktop that's great enough to use all the time ;)
I think the lesson learned from my previous desktop was to just never leave it turned on 24/7, or to also stop constantly disconnecting hardware from it (like PCI cards).

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hmm, so I apparently need to take my website down whenever I do yum updates to it. At least it's as simple as stopping a service and then re-initializing it. :P

I think the lesson learned from my previous desktop was to just never leave it turned on 24/7, or to also stop constantly disconnecting hardware from it (like PCI cards).

Something got worn down badly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back