• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Daily Cross Chop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I always wonder - people make such a HUGE STINK about how you should never buy a dog from a breeder, always adopt from kennels, etc etc. - but these people never say the same thing about children...

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
    I always wonder - people make such a HUGE STINK about how you should never buy a dog from a breeder, always adopt from kennels, etc etc. - but these people never say the same thing about children...

Puppies are bred in puppy mills to be sold in bulk, like generic products
    Children in adoption aren't bred to be sold...

Are you getting at the fact that both will be "wasted" if not for buyers / adopters?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Puppies are bred in puppy mills to be sold in bulk, like generic products
    Children in adoption aren't bred to be sold...

Are you getting at the fact that both will be "wasted" if not for buyers / adopters?

I didn't say a word about puppy mills. I said breeders. There are plenty of ethical breeders - the argument that I'm talking about is not that puppy mills are unethical, but that with so many dogs without homes we shouldn't contribute to making more. But with so many children without homes we apparently should all have kids anyway.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I didn't say a word about puppy mills. I said breeders. There are plenty of ethical breeders - the argument that I'm talking about is not that puppy mills are unethical, but that with so many dogs without homes we shouldn't contribute to making more. But with so many children without homes we apparently should all have kids anyway.

I think there's just a misunderstanding. When you mentioned "how you should never buy a dog from a breeder..." he probably thought of puppy mills because those are usually where the breeders who are frowned upon work at. The "responsible" breeders work at kennels where they have different intentions for breeding dogs.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think there's just a misunderstanding. When you mentioned "how you should never buy a dog from a breeder..." he probably thought of puppy mills because those are usually where the breeders who are frowned upon work at. The "responsible" breeders work at kennels where they have different intentions for breeding dogs.

There are hundreds, probably thousands of private, responsible breeders in the US alone. They breed a certain breed of cat or dog, make sure they minimize illnesses and maximize pedigree, and then sell the animals for a price. My mom used to do that with cats, and it's just as popular with dogs. Puppy mills are unethical because they treat the animals badly and don't pay attention to breed problems (for example Persians, the breed my mom handled, had a history of Polycystic Kidney Disease so she would test for it and never breed the ones that had it). But a lot of people push the dog adoption angle because we shouldn't be making any new dogs when there are still dogs in the pound that are just as good even if not the perfect dog you had always dreamed of.

Also just to be clear in my first post when I said "adopt from kennels", I was talking about pounds. Not breeding kennels. I had no idea that had multiple definitions until I looked it up.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My mom is a breeder :) I'm not 100% sure of if kennel has slightly different meanings in Swedish and English but we call her little business a kennel anyways. She treats her dogs well and cares for each one of them and raise the puppies lovingly before they are ready to move away. Many of her puppies become renowned contest dogs. In the past she also bred for hunting but it's mostly contests nowadays.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I really want a Vallhund.

Daily Cross Chop

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    looks quite the dog. I'm not quite keen on dogs due to past experiences with them, but if I had to have a certain breed, I'd go for a husky, at least.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My dream dog is a Doberman, but my dog right now is an Australian shepherd and I love her with all my heart!!!!

ps the picture is ****ing huge omg
    Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Pug! I'd want a pug. Cutest things there are.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
    Pomeranians are obviously the most adorable things ever
    I want a pet wolf or fox

A domestic fox would be awesome

I think they still breed them as apart of that really long Russian study, but I think they're expensive

Shiny Whimsicott

*:・゚✧. :✦*:・゚✧
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 31, 2016
    I'd just like a really big dog...I'm not especially picky about the breed or anything. I just want something that'll be my friend and help me feel a bit safer

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I found the cutest picture of a dog ever, and I'm trying to figure out what breed it is so that when I live on my own, I can get a dog just like that!!

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Dogs suck I like cats so much more. I once saw a girl get her eyeball clawed open by a cat live on Twitch stream. There was blood. It was disgusting. The cat was not amused.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back