• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: dakota was here! castform's a winner! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • Morning, guys! Woke up just a wee few min ago. :)

Well one of my gifts came early yesterday, which is Pokemon X, and I have nooo idea what I'm getting on Christmas. I didn't really ask for much, so I'll be happy if it was either gift cards, new clothing or anything haha.

Years
  • Why are HDD so cheap nowadays D: Install sizes for games haven't been growing as fast as storage space/dollar. Unless you're playing Mass Effect 5 which will require 100 GB of install space.

Years
  • I'm really wishing that I had the money for another terabyte or two of external hard drive space so that I could keep more files than what I have now..

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I don't think I'll need more than 300 GB of space...but right now I'm thinking of buying a 1 TB hard drive just for backup purposes & stuff.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • There's really much more productive things you can do with a lot less space. On my old 320 GB MyBook, I had 50 GB of ROM hacking files, 30 GB of pictures, and no more than 8 GB of music and videos (and the music was all lossless Waveform files). Another 2 GB was dedicated to Visual Studio projects, and the rest was miscellanious files. All of it totaled around 180 GB.

The only time you'd need more than a terabyte is if you're stockpiling videos, which, let's face it, is nowhere near as productive as reverse-engineering video games. :/

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • Why are HDD so cheap nowadays D: Install sizes for games haven't been growing as fast as storage space/dollar. Unless you're playing Mass Effect 5 which will require 100 GB of install space.
    With internet speeds increasing, and the availability of "unlimited" downloads, it means people have access to a lot more data. People can easily download huge amounts of movies, songs, tv shows and such overnight.

The big rise in pirating sites has aided this as well, as all these large downloads are stored in one spot.

(For me, I have 600-800GB in Steam games alone. Not sure how, exactly, but games like TF2 take up about 10-12GB I think?)

Years
  • That sure is a lot of games. The biggest game I've ever installed was the Cinematic mod for HL2, which ended up being like 50GB. But other than that, I might have maximum 200 GB of games? Iunno, I don't really play the latest and greatest, and a lot of stuff like CoD or Battlefield I delete after I finish the campaign.

Years
  • I guess it should be no surprise that these video games (especially ones from Steam) take up to 10GB of space total.. but I don't play video games on my computer at all so I wouldn't know xD

Years
  • Speaking of which, I do have a lot of Steam games I bought impulsively that I have never even touched. I'll "upgrade" my SSD if necessary.

Years
  • Let's say you have a 4TB drive and use up half of it for games. Let's say the average game is 20GB an install (exaggerating on the large side). That's still 100 games. And 20GB games are usually the big blockbuster ones, not the old classics or indie games. Are there even 100 blockbuster shooters within the past ten years? And could you even be interested in a fraction of those at a time? Human attention is limited, and as a gamer I don't think I could use such a large capacity drive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back