• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark or milk choccolate?

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
  • All variations of chocolate is delicious. No variant has proven me otherwise.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Dark chocolate is too bitter for me, and I mean, if I'm going to eat chocolate I'm not going to worry about how healthy it is. It's chocolate.

Yeah all this "dark chocolate is healthy!" is cracking me up. How many people out there are thinking "I really want to consume 500 calories of chocolate chip cookies, let me make sure they're healthy first!"

White chocolate is superior to both dark and milk imo. Once my boyfriend and his roommates bought a 95% dark chocolate bar because they thought it would be good and then as a rite of passage all guests had to eat a square of it and try not to puke.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Yeah all this "dark chocolate is healthy!" is cracking me up. How many people out there are thinking "I really want to consume 500 calories of chocolate chip cookies, let me make sure they're healthy first!"

White chocolate is superior to both dark and milk imo. Once my boyfriend and his roommates bought a 95% dark chocolate bar because they thought it would be good and then as a rite of passage all guests had to eat a square of it and try not to puke.

Dark chocolate IS healthy, but obviously in moderation.

I don't know what bar your boyfriend got, but there are different types of cacao beans and different ones give different flavours. Certain ones give off the "bitter" taste that you know, and those ones are the ones that are most common so they usually bulk them into bars that are cheaper. Good quality dark chocolate wont necessarily have that.
    Chocolate, wine, liquor, and coffee have that similarity that they can be "full bodied" or have a certain type of "finish" to their tastes.. and it's what can make them really unique. Seems like you're pretty much mocking dark chocolate but I am a bit sad that you haven't considered appreciating the cocoa bean for what it is in its raw form. It's fair enough to love white chocolate before all other stuff though, and I wouldn't dismiss your personal tastes (I'm not going to tell you that one type is BETTER than another, because that's down to personal preference.) However, I'm letting you know that processed right and from a good quality bean, it doesn't need LOADS added sugars or butters to be palatable- but a little bit can help bring out its natural flavour. (Like adding a touch of butter and salt to a baked potato or lovely scrambled duck-egg!) That's why good dark bars may still hover around the 80% cacao content mark as it's all about balance.

Spoiler:

I love my chocolate.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    There have been tests that have determined that cocoa has various health benefits, like lowering blood pressure or helping with digestion. It's about moderation, though. No one's saying that eating a hundred pounds of chocolate a day is healthy. But a little bit every day has been shown to be beneficial, I guess.

Personally, I'm allergic/sensitive to cocoa or something that's in milk and dark chocolate. Even the smell gives me issues. White chocolate is all that I can eat, and even not a lot of that. But I still enjoy it, especially when it's in a Kit-Kat bar or a peanut butter cup.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Dark chocolate IS healthy, but obviously in moderation.

I don't know what bar your boyfriend got, but there are different types of cacao beans and different ones give different flavours. Certain ones give off the "bitter" taste that you know, and those ones are the ones that are most common so they usually bulk them into bars that are cheaper. Good quality dark chocolate wont necessarily have that.
    Chocolate, wine, liquor, and coffee have that similarity that they can be "full bodied" or have a certain type of "finish" to their tastes.. and it's what can make them really unique. Seems like you're pretty much mocking dark chocolate but I am a bit sad that you haven't considered appreciating the cocoa bean for what it is in its raw form. It's fair enough to love white chocolate before all other stuff though, and I wouldn't dismiss your personal tastes (I'm not going to tell you that one type is BETTER than another, because that's down to personal preference.) However, I'm letting you know that processed right and from a good quality bean, it doesn't need LOADS added sugars or butters to be palatable- but a little bit can help bring out its natural flavour. (Like adding a touch of butter and salt to a baked potato or lovely scrambled duck-egg!) That's why good dark bars may still hover around the 80% cacao content mark as it's all about balance.

Spoiler:

I love my chocolate.

I am mocking the idea that most people are eating chocolate for its health benefits. Trust me, I've gotten mocked way more for my love of white chocolate than anyone is ever going to get from me about their like of dark chocolate. I will laugh when they claim it's about health benefits though, and not a personal preference for dark chocolate. My biggest secret: I don't drink red wine because a glass at night is healthy, I drink red wine because I prefer it to other kinds of wine.

You're taking a funny story about a chocolate bar that no one liked way too seriously. We didn't force anyone not to like it. They did that all their own. I don't remember what bar he got either because this was literally years ago. All I remember is that it was a ridiculously high chocolate content (might have been 99%, I can't remember), everyone who likes dark chocolate thought it would be good, and they all hated it.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I love both!! Any and all forms of chocolates are my friend. I don't discriminate or ask questions, I just eat it. :3

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    They say dark chocolate is even better for health. I really like it with some orange in it. Though there are some fine milk chocolates too.

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
    Years
  • I like my chocolate like I like my coffee. That is, I like it dark.

I also like it with sea salt caramel. The combination of bitter, salty and sweet makes the whole experience of dark chocolate a dream, let me tell you. And those dark chocolate oranges you can buy around this time of the year are perfect.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I am mocking the idea that most people are eating chocolate for its health benefits. Trust me, I've gotten mocked way more for my love of white chocolate than anyone is ever going to get from me about their like of dark chocolate. I will laugh when they claim it's about health benefits though, and not a personal preference for dark chocolate. My biggest secret: I don't drink red wine because a glass at night is healthy, I drink red wine because I prefer it to other kinds of wine.

You're taking a funny story about a chocolate bar that no one liked way too seriously. We didn't force anyone not to like it. They did that all their own. I don't remember what bar he got either because this was literally years ago. All I remember is that it was a ridiculously high chocolate content (might have been 99%, I can't remember), everyone who likes dark chocolate thought it would be good, and they all hated it.

Completely my bad! I thought you were mocking it in general and it seemed like you wanted to convince me that dark chocolate was horrible. Sorry for jumping to that assumption!!
    And DAMN what?! Why would anyone mock you for loving white chocolate? Obviously they haven't had a good bar! My favourite is probably Green and Black's organic white COOKING chocolate. Extra creamy and vanilla-y. Have you ever tried it? I think you'd love the stuff! White chocolate paired with apricot, peach, or pistachio is also heavenly!

Lindt 99% can be pretty chalky.. even though I like Lindt generally. I don't know if I can place my favourite dark bar, but I do love Soma.. and Green and Blacks is great for a "grocery store" brand. Madecasse do a nice milk espresso-bar. And if you're a salted-caramel lover, then Artisan du Chocolat make great ones. (And caramel chocolate is actually my least fav and I love these!)
    Best brownie I've had (I know I'm moving to new territory here) is either the marmite brownie that this lady makes locally in the market, or Paul A Young's brownie that I had tried at a chocolate festival. Best chocolate truffles I've ever had were in Amsterdam- specifically a white-chocolate-aadvocaat (sp?) one.

In terms of "candy" bar.. there is a Swedish brand that does a really yummy blueberry filled chocolate. And Fererro rochers and fererro mon-cherie (sadly only in certain european countries) are great. Lindt "hello my name is strawberry cheesecake" is also a nice go-to bar. For the more "cheapo" candy bars... Three musketeers.. I have to admit to liking (though to be fair it's more nougat than chocolate) and I still am a bit of a sucker for an aero bar.. and reeces peanut butter cups from time to time.
    I know this will be weird to say, but ever since I tried ovomaltine malt spread.. I cannot really have nutella anymore. Nutella just tastes like sugar to me now. If you ever go to france or austria.. pick up a jar of ovomaltine. It's what nutella USED to be like back in the good old days when it was more hazelnut and cocoa-based and not full of crap.

Random but.. I want to learn how to make the perfect chocolate lava cake. I haven't had a good one in a VERY long time.

Ok I'll stop talking now. I can talk about chocolate forever...

Years
    • Age 36
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    I like mint chocolate >__> I feel less guilty if i eat them because I won't have bad breath after

Years
  • It depends on what you're sing it for, either to eat or baking or whatever, but if i'm going to go eat a chocolate bar I would much rather it be milk chocolate. Or, eat like 50 Lindt milk chocolate truffles at once.

Infernape

fire power!
    Years
  • I love milk chocolate. I normally binge on Hershey kisses until I get sick.
    Dark chocolate for whatever reason gives me very bad headaches...not sure why, honestly

Years
  • Technically white chocolate isn't a chocolate because it doesn't contain cocoa solids, so everyone raving about it in this thread is just going to have to reevaluate their lives. :-P

White "chocolate" is (unless mixed with real chocolate in marble form too sweet and sickly. I like milk chocolate and dark chocolate. If I just want to eat chocolate by itself I'm all about the dark chocolate.

Also, people need to stop drinking red wine with chocolate. The tannins ruin the flavour of the chocolate and the chocolate makes the wine taste like rubbish.

Last edited:
    Years
  • i like all chocolate equally, i'm not really that fussy when it comes to chocolate :p

except for jaffas, those are disgusting abominations of nature :x

Back