• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you catch all of the Unown forms?

garchomp47

Dragon tamer
    Years
    If you catch all unowns you will get a rare candy and a tunnel. Do you catched all unowns to get those goodies?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    What do you mean when you say "a tunnel?" XD Anyway, no, I've never managed to capture all Unown forms. Caught only one or two, and stopped after that.

Years
    I think I did in Platinum a couple years ago, it wasn't anything too significant but it did give me something to do. I never did in the Johto games or any other, though.

As for the tunnel, I think he's referring to the Ruin Maniac's cave fully connecting and Hippopotas becoming more common.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I did actually, I wanted "!" and "?", which I think were only available at the end? Looking back, it wasn't entirely worth it haha.

Years
    I did catch all the Unowns at some point in one of the games (Diamond I think) so yeah it's nice to collect them even if they are that useless. Won't ever attempt it again given these days only way to obtain one in the more recent games is transfer-only.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    I've never bothered to catch all the Unown. I just catch one for the Pokedex and that's it. Catching all of them don't help you in anything except waste Pokeballs and precious time. Well, you do get to make those ! and ? Unown appear, which aren't exactly very exciting rewards to begin with. Or should I say end with? Lol.

Years
    I have caught all of the Unown in the Sinnoh games and the Johto remakes. I was curious as to what would happen if I caught all of the Unown in Sinnoh, so I did that. I found out that a tunnel was mined out. Turns out that it lead to two special forms of Unown. That was probably one of the worst experiences of my life, to find more of the useless Pokemon. In the Johto remakes, I wanted to catch them there because I wasn't sure if there would be the same horrid reward as Sinnoh gave you for catching all of the Unown. I say that because there were some ancient buildings in the area and I wanted to know if catching all of the Unown opened up the sealed entrances. I forget what happens though. Turns out, they were just the two useless forms of Unown again.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    While I was curious to what might happen if I actually caught all Unown, and did make it a point to try and catch all forms of it, I never actually managed to. I'm kinda glad I didn't either, because as A Bleu Sylveon mentioned, the reward for it was less than anything satisfying. Unless you're a collector, I don't really see a point in catching them all just to get two more forms of it, and you would end up catching all of them anyway, so it wouldn't make much of a difference :p So yeah, feel like it was a bit of a cop-out reward, but at least there is a reward! I did like to speculate what would happen if I did catch all of them though, but alas, the truth turned out to be quite a bit more disappointing than anything I'd imagined haha.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I know that i gave it a try, though i doubt that i made it very far. It just seemed like an unrewarding task to me and the motivation wasn't there.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I really wished they have Unknown more usefullness. Perhaps an item of somesort that when held by an Unknown actually makes it useful? It's a shame because while I like their concept, they are, in essence, useless.

In saying that, I didn't catch them all. I would like to catch them all, but knowing that there's no reward other than a slither of satisfaction, I'd rather not; considering I could be using my time to find shinies :3c.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I'm pretty sure I caught them all. It was annoying since every time you caught one it became harder to find the ones you were looking for.

I agree with curiousnathan that they should have been made more useful. I would think that a good idea would been that having a certain amount of unknown, positioned a certain way in the party would offer new moves/stats. (Finally putting them to use for spelling, lol)

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Nope, haha. The idea of Unown didn't ever appeal to me. I always just looked at them and went "eh what's the big deal, really." While I was interested in the Rare Candy, I don't think catching 27 of the same species is worth the investment. When you're done catching them, what are you really gonna do? Store them in a box and make an Unown museum? Use them? I mean I guess it's nice to collect stuff but I've never really been a big fan of them. They're cute though, I'll give them that much. :p

Years
    After having caught all of the Unown in FireRed, I had no desire to go and do it again in Platinum. I wish I would've known that having all the Unown gives you a special reward in Platinum, as I might've sent them through the Pal Park to that game rather than HeartGold.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    No way. Unown sucks, it's stats are bad, it only learns hidden power, no way I'm wasting my time on that. It also seems stupid to just get the same pokemon many times for some things that probably won't matter.

Years
    Well I never complete Pokedex on any of the games- so nope I never caught all the unown forms because there are way too many of their forms xD And they are not really useful either xD

Back