• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you expect a Ruby/Sapphire remake? What was your reaction?

Years
  • Prior to the revealing of OR/AS there was a lot of discussion - some lasting years and years - on whether remakes would become a possibility. Did you ever expect we would get a R/S remake? Did you play the originals? Were you excited when this was announced and what was your reaction? Were you around on PC to talk in the original long-lasting remake speculation thread? ;p Let us know!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Let's just say that between R/S/E being released after the timeline was rebooted and them being compatible with the current gen games (by proxy, but still) I really thought they wouldn't get remade. And frankly, hoped they wouldn't because time spent working on a remake is time not spent on creating a new game.

For a while, I did post in the RSE speculation thread, basically defending the possibility of the remakes not happening and suggesting people should just wait for an official announcement before getting all hyped up.

I was not excited by the announcement. I eventually warmed up to the idea and ended up buying both versions (as I usually do with Pokémon games) , and I like the new game mechanics they introduced, but I still think that a Black2/White2-esque sequel instead of a remake would have been a much better game.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • Well after seeing Gen 1 & 2 remakes I was sure Gen 3 and the others would get one. Though Emerald didn't get a remake was a bit of a surprise to me. It was just the Delta Episode in the OR/AS games.

Years
  • I remember my nostalgic memories with Ruby & Sapphire as they were my first Pokemon games, and in the years since we have had games with massive changes to mechanics and graphical improvement that Hoenn was getting outdated fast and needed a major update to catch up, and that's what OR/AS did.

Since playing OR/AS it has felt so hard to try and return to the original games, but the thing was the remakes were definitely worth it because it now made Hoenn relevant again in an era where the mechanics are now up-to-date and the update to the Hoenn Dex was also a good improvement compared to HG/SS still retaining its old Dex.

Reactions: Sun

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • I always knew Nintendo would make one considering they made remakes for gen 1 and 2 so seeing it announced didn't really surprise me for the whole inevitability of it happening.

Though when I heard about it I said the same thing that the one guy on YouTube said

"BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!!!"

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
  • They always are updating so I wasn't surprised but I thought it would be Emerald they would of redesigned so you can catch all of the Legends.
    Also the rental battles are missing from the games which was a bummer.

R2J

Years
  • After seeing Gen 1 remakes (Fire Red & Leaf Green) & Gen 2 remakes (Soul Silver & Heart Gold). It was to be expected that the Hoenn remakes would be made, though Mega Evolution crossing from Kalos was a bit of a surprise. Now we wait to see what Gen 4 remakes offer.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It was to be expected, just at the time of the announcement it was totally unexpected in the way it was delivered.

I was hoping that it would come around in Generation V, but once we got the sequels rather than even a third game, it started to look like they decided to skip RS remakes all together. Nonetheless I was ecstatic to see them announce the remakes eventually!

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    It was to be expected, just at the time of the announcement it was totally unexpected in the way it was delivered.

I was hoping that it would come around in Generation V, but once we got the sequels rather than even a third game, it started to look like they decided to skip RS remakes all together. Nonetheless I was ecstatic to see them announce the remakes eventually!
    ^ That is coming from a guy who used to have the username Hoenn. {XD}

To answer the topic. I was surprised but there was a bit mix feelings, while I was happy to see my favorite Hoenn again (I swear it's not you I'm talking about Joe :D ), at the same time I was displeased with XY's mechanics and frame rate! Knowing that ORAS were going to be release under Generation VI, the nightmare was inevitable.

Years
  • To answer the topic. I was surprised but there was a bit mix feelings, while I was happy to see my favorite Hoenn again (I swear it's not you I'm talking about Joe :D ), at the same time I was displeased with XY's mechanics and frame rate! Knowing that ORAS were going to be release under Generation VI, the nightmare was inevitable.

I remember people mostly complained about retaining X/Y's Exp. Share which led to people saying like "oh dear Hoenn isn't challenging anymore" but also the modern mechanics were useful. I used a Gardevoir in my playthrough and it's hard to believe the Ralts line is now so much easier to use compared to the original games, one reason to show how well Fairy-type benefitted then greatly.

OR/AS also did one thing right with the Dex that HG/SS didn't, and that was adding in all the 4th Gen evolution relatives for the resident Pokemon, whereas the only ones HG/SS added to their Dex was the ones that evolved with certain moves: Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Mamoswine, Yanmega and Ambipom.

Last edited:

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
  • I always felt RSE remakes were inevitable. So it was just a simple waiting game for me — although I haven't been able to actually play them.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I didn't think so and I was always against the train of thought that they should.
    I always thought the originals were advanced enough. Hell, they were part of the same generation as the first remakes which effectively means the Gen 1 Remakes are too outdated now.
    The guy at Gamestop convinced me to get OR/AS and I was hesitant as I wasn't looking forward to it, but I did really enjoy the game a lot more than I thought I would.

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
  • I really hope that the next remakes are a Combo of Pokemon Green/Blue/Red and Gold/Silver. Maybe Called Pokemon Silver Leaf, Gold flame.

Have two lands to defeat Team Rocket. Start in Johto and then battle thru Kanto to stop and finish off Team Rocket.

Guest123_x1

I was actually expecting Ruby/Sapphire remakes back during Generation V. Later, once Gen V came to a close and X/Y were announced, it felt to me that they would either release Hoenn remakes during Gen VI, or not ever release them at all. Once the Internet began buzzing with "HOENN CONFIRMED", I was surprised at first, but almost immediately said to myself "it's about time!"

Blayze

Team Magma Co-Leader
    Years
  • I wasn't fully expecting them to do re-makes, however at the same time I was thinking that they might do it. After all, they made Fire Red and Leaf Green, and then Soul Silver and Heart Gold. That and the lure of money. :P

The original Ruby and Sapphire were two of my favorite original titles; so I was pretty stoked when I heard that they were re-making them with all the new bells and whistles that were introduced in X and Y.

Side Note:
    Omega Ruby is the first Pokedex that I bothered completing since Red and then Silver. All 720 of the little buggers!

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
    Years
  • I wasn't fully expecting them to do re-makes, however at the same time I was thinking that they might do it. After all, they made Fire Red and Leaf Green, and then Soul Silver and Heart Gold. That and the lure of money. :P

The original Ruby and Sapphire were two of my favorite original titles; so I was pretty stoked when I heard that they were re-making them with all the new bells and whistles that were introduced in X and Y.

Side Note:
    Omega Ruby is the first Pokedex that I bothered completing since Red and then Silver. All 720 of the little buggers!

Have you managed to get them all yet, or are you still working on it. If you even get close to the accomplishment, I'm going to be EXTREMELY impressed.

Blayze

Team Magma Co-Leader
    Years
  • Have you managed to get them all yet, or are you still working on it. If you even get close to the accomplishment, I'm going to be EXTREMELY impressed.

Yes, I have managed to get them all. ^^ It took some doing, but I was determined to complete it!
    (Having that Shiny Charm works wonders for shiny hunting! Especially horde hunting)

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • From Gold/Silver/Crystal to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald was one of the longest gaps between playing any core series Pokemon game for me so RSE was peculiar for me. When it first came out I was extremely detached from it due to its near completely revamped roster. Plus at that time I was in between middle school/high school so I was a kid with a lot going on in my life.

But the generation grew on me over time, but eventually was kinda forgotten. I didn't expect a remake, though I wasn't particularly surprised after the remakes for Gen. II came about. The remakes for RSE is a great breath of life for that generation, honestly.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I completely expected it! I've been anticipating it since HGSS came out, honestly. I'm so glad that ORAS turned out so great too, since I was a little disappointed with HGSS tbh.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I actually wasn't expecting it at all. I had figured we only got FR/LG and HG/SS because of the inability to bring Pokemon from Gen 2 and before into Gen 3. When Gen 5 was announced, I was really hoping (though not expecting) to see Ruby/Sapphire remakes, but when we didn't get them, I just gave up hoping. You can imagine how happy I was when OR/AS finally got announced :D

Back