• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Did you trade with any of the NPCs?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • FRLG had a ton of NPCs offering trades, especially in the early areas.
    I personally only really went with getting a Farfetch'd from Vermilion City. That thing is really quite strong, and of course gains the EXP bonus from being traded to you. By the Elite Four it was about 10 levels higher than most of my team, and basically carried me.

What Pokémon did you get from the NPCs, why'd you choose them, and were they useful in the end?

Years
  • Given I never properly played these games, I never accepted any of these trades as well. I usually just don't like the NPC traded Pokemon for some reason.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I only utilized the Farfetch'd maybe once or twice. The other times, i didn't attempt to trade with the NPCs.

itsSacred

Sly and Strong like a Blaziken
    Years
  • I'm doing a Nuzlocke/Catch Em' All play through of Ruby and I'm only just past the first gym but I did take a trade that was Makuhita for Slakoth.

Personally, that's a steal.
    (I also do know the post was marked LG/FR but I had to reply. ;) )

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I don't quite remember at this point, but I think I traded with most of the NPCs who offered. I know I went for Farfetch'd, Jynx, and Lickitung, and it's possible I went for others as well. Some of those Pokemon weren't easy to get elsewhere, and I was very completionistic about how I approached the game, so I wanted to get them into my Pokedex and leveled up to the same level as my other Pokemon as soon as possible. I appreciated the boosted experience. I also like collecting additional ID #s and OTs (a habit I got into with the Lucky Number Show in GSC), and since FR/LG were pre-wifi, I didn't have many people to trade with, so that was an added bonus.

Were they useful? Not especially so. I guess they pulled their weight where needed, but I didn't trade for them intending to make them staples of my team.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    It depends. If I can get the pokempn elsewhere, I usually skip it, but if I have to trade I will.

Years
  • I sometimes use the Farfetch'd trade but that's it. Good to know there are more people out there that don't hate on it.

Years
  • While I can't remember if I actually used any of the Pokemon from them, I'm pretty sure I did most of the available NPC trades in Fire Red.

My favorite trade though is the one on Cinnabar Island, where a trainer asks for a Raichu in exchange for his Electrode. Knowing that the level of the Pokemon in the trade are always the same, I thought it'd be a good idea to go to Viridian Forest and catch a level 3 Pikachu, evolve it with a Thunderstone, and then receive a horribly underleveled Electrode in return.

Years
  • Yes ofc i did trades with many npcs especially when iv/evs don't matter like in gen 1. In my opinion here are the most memorable trades: Pokemon Yellow: Cubone-Machoke wow you got a machamp and the most trolling is Pokemon diamond:Medicham-Haunter you are happy because you get a Gengar but suddenly you see that Haunter doesn't evolve and wonder. After some secs of shock you check stats,natures e.t.c and you see that haunter holds an Everstone which prevents evolving lol and then...... lol

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I've never traded Pokémon with any of the NPCs before. Although I think I did but can't really say for sure. It's been about six or seven years since I touched the game.

Years
    • Seen today
    I really like Mr. Mime, so I've done that trade many times, however I will always maintain that Mimien is a dumb name.

TheRusty

The Dragon Master
    Years
  • While I can't remember if I actually used any of the Pokemon from them, I'm pretty sure I did most of the available NPC trades in Fire Red.

My favorite trade though is the one on Cinnabar Island, where a trainer asks for a Raichu in exchange for his Electrode. Knowing that the level of the Pokemon in the trade are always the same, I thought it'd be a good idea to go to Viridian Forest and catch a level 3 Pikachu, evolve it with a Thunderstone, and then receive a horribly underleveled Electrode in return.

Aside from this one, I also got Marc the Lickitung.

rickonstark

the forgotten son
    Years
  • I got Farfetch'd as well{:3} and I think its named Ch'Ding which is alright but i really want to give him a nickname.Unfortunately it is impossible for traded pokemons. huhuhu ;-;

We Need MEGA FARFETCH'D!!

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Absolutely! It was necessary for my living dex challenge to trade for the Mr. Mime, Lickitung, Jinx, Farfetch'd and Tangela. I didn't use these, of course, because they weren't my OT and they were nicknamed. So I bred them and made them valid for my challenge.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I used to systematically do it for collection purposes, but nowadays I don't really bother anymore.

Absolutely! It was necessary for my living dex challenge to trade for the Mr. Mime, Lickitung, Jinx, Farfetch'd and Tangela. I didn't use these, of course, because they weren't my OT and they were nicknamed. So I bred them and made them valid for my challenge.

You can capture Tangela on Route 21. :p

This is something i kinda like tbh, having some species only available by trading, because they're so rare you can't find them yourself and you have to trade to NPCs that have them.
    But I hate how they're nicknamed, always the same stats, always identical. And I also don't like how you can't just capture everything yourself. It's like I like it in a way but I dislike it in another way too.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    You can capture Tangela on Route 21. :p

Maybe that's what I did then. It was a while ago. The first four on my list I definitely traded for, because I have just now got around to breeding them and evolving them.

Back