• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Dislike Button and Notification on Tab

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • Everyone has their moments, and most of us return from them soon enough.

I see this as potentially one less ember in such a flame. It's absence prevents additional escalation on top of things, the way I see it, and it does have a slight potential to kindle flames on its own as well. Best to just squash it, methinks.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Discussion is 100% a better route to take than passive aggressiveness. PC is a great forum with a diverse memberbase; preventing any possible dislike-based argument before they can AND WILL start, begins with not adding the feature at all.

If you feel like you can debate and argue your point, then share it. If you can't, don't be surprised at whatever backlash or counter debates that might come your way. Adults use words, not an aggressive click of the mouse on some Sentret button.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I should perhaps mention this, but on sites like Reddit and Imgur, there's a public voting system, similar to the Likes (And proposed dislikes) where a user can choose to promote or call down a post anonymously. All of these upvotes and downvotes are tallied and can be viewed publicly. Problem is, some people take these votes very seriously. Like, really seriously. A dislike system on PC would be a really bad idea because if a post gets disliked by a lot of people, they'll start complaining about how so many people didn't like it and whatnot, and it'd just lead to spam and all sorts of complaining to staff and whatnot, or essentially, more problems than solutions.
    And with it being anonymous, then people would be all the more liberal with their use of it.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    ahhh yes. i remember the days when pc had a "rep" system thanks to this thread. users used to be able to give negative reputation (or "neg rep") to other members. that system totally backfired, in part, because people abused the negative system to a ridiculous degree.

simply hitting "dislike" on a post and not explaining your disagreements is super counterproductive and not to mention rude. it does nothing but ruin people's moods and give others an effortless way to harass people they don't like.

i'm not in favor, personally. it seems like a real Debbie Downer kinda system.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wait, people were able to give negative reputation with posts? Because if they were, then I definitely wasn't around when that happened. I could see why a feature like that would get the boot.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Yeah. This wouldn't be a pretty sight to see. It could cause people to 'down post' topics they don't agree with ie "Is Pikachu's Shiny cool or no?" and someone dislikes it because they don't like Pikachu in general, and not on the content of the post to begin with. Disliking a post could also warrant the 'grudge' and cause havoc by having people who argue with each other follow every post they both make and dislike them for the sake of disliking the individual. I must admit, I once was a grudge bearer, but that was because the individual stunned me repeatidly with their scientific ignorance and blatant stupidity on how modern technology works:

"We have enough nuclear weapons to blow up the sun!" No. No we don't SuperRique95. No we don't.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Wait, people were able to give negative reputation with posts? Because if they were, then I definitely wasn't around when that happened. I could see why a feature like that would get the boot.

it was a beautiful era
    the slightest neg rep sent many into personal catastrophe, hitting up staff at every hour of the day demanding retribution for the injustice laid upon them
    even genuine constructive criticism sent some of the most beloved members into a frenzy

but the other issue at the time was the positive abuse of rep
    that is to say, the systematic planning and distribution of rep in order to boost their own bars and maintain perceived dominance over this land
    myself and many beloved members today included

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Lol, this isn't Youtube. There's no need for a dislike button. If you dislike a post, you dislike it personally/privately without having everyone know the post got a "dislike" what have you. No need to have a button for it.

What I just said was very stupid.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • Not for the dislike button. It's like karma (pretty sure we had that before): super easily abused. Why would you want to make someone feel bad without explanation? I prefer that people explain themselves and only share upvotes / "likes" so that everyone feels nice ☺

If I get a downvote / "dislike" I'd feel bad about myself. It'd almost be a hostile attack with no explanation. At least if I think people are going to disagree with me, I can avoid a topic after posting my controversial opinion. If I get notified of every downvote, I'd become frustrated and probably avoid PC for a while. It might sound immature, but so is downvoting / "dislike" without any follow-up. Just shocking, really.

More notification options for other positive environment things are nice, though :pink_nod:

PendraFlame said:
    Wait, people were able to give negative reputation with posts? Because if they were, then I definitely wasn't around when that happened. I could see why a feature like that would get the boot.

I started at PC in 2009 and I think it had just been removed or I experienced it for a little bit and then it was removed... It was horrible.

There was a post comment system at one point, too... I got some pretty hateful anonymous comments from individuals in 2009-2010 or so that were just disrespectful, rude and blunt. It's not nice.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'm not sure I'd like the idea of a dislike button. I mean, I wouldn't really give a fuck if anyone used it on my posts but... still. It'd turn into something negative. People would start complaining about it and how it's destroying their self-esteem. There would be so many people who would absolutely overdo it and dislike something that a person put their effort and hard work in. Just imagine if someone posted their art or writing her on PC. If someone didn't like it, and they used the dislike button... that's going to really kill their motivation. I'm not all about that sort of thing. So... that's basically my two cents.

Back