• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you buy both versions of a main series game?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I buy one simply because it's a waste of $$$ to buy the rest. If you're too lazy to trade, you're too lazy to finish the Pokédex. If I had $$$ to burn needlessly, I'd buy them all. However, why when you can simply trade with those who got the other version(s)?

Stumpy.

[b][i][color=#330033][font="Lobster Two]The Lone P
Years
Whenever I was younger I ended up buying both games, up until X & Y.

Now I just stick to one copy because it's so much easier to trade with other people on the newer installments.

Years
just one but there is that one time i bought the second one a few months after the first. i think it's one of the unova games. just bought it to replay with a different set of pokemon and minor story differences

Years
The one and only time I did it was when I bought both Sun and Moon, and while I didn't actually mind the games, I had no real interest in playing through the game a second time, so I ended up regretting it. Unless future games give us wildly different stories between games, I'll porbably just stick to one or the other going forward.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I stopped by the 6th generation, deciding I only need one since it's too easy to trade for what you need anyway; I always pick the "Blue-r" version.

Only time I did after that was buying a second hand Pokemon Sun, play through it, Pokebank transfer my Pokemon back to Moon and re-sold it.

Last edited:

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Typically yes just because I'd get them as gifts or something. But probably from here on out since I'm forking over my own money I'll stick with one version.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The only time I have was when I was buying the other version for someone else, e.g. my sister. Not enough interest otherwise to buy essentially the same game again for me.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
Years
I did (well, had them bought for me) with all three of GSC and with FRLG, but never otherwise. And I don't see myself ever doing that again, as there are already so many games out there I just wait for a good price before buying them, and getting what is nearly the same game twice isn't a good idea

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i'm really particular about pokemon games. it's my favorite series and i like to have one copy to store things on and one to restart over and over, sometimes i'll even have three for each generation. i don't like to transfer out of a gen either so that's another thing. the only main series games i don't have both versions for are usum, but i do want to pick up ultra sun at some point. and i guess since the let's go games count too, i only have eevee and don't plan on getting pikachu.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Only one version.

Aside from the advantage to trade between copies, it would pretty much be playing the exact game twice.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Depends on whether I want to eventually do challenge runs with that generation/set of games. If I do then I end up picking up both because then I have one file which is my 'permanent' file and then I have the other file that I restart whenever I want to do a challenge. Latest set of games would be SM and honestly I don't think I plan on getting the other one of USUM because I can't even finish my permanent file.

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
Years
When i was little i bought all versions of pokemon for example

Red/blue/yellow.
Gold/silver/crystal.
Ruby/sapphire/emerald.
But once my br was born i think i bought only 1 version of the games 1 for me and other for my br.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I just get one version, with the exception of getting both Heartgold and Soulsilver because I love those games so much :>

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
I used to buy both versions, now I don't because these days imo the games lack replayability.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 1, 2019
Do you buy both editions?

Like white and black, sun and moon. And if yes, why?

Back