• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you catch everything in a route before moving on?

Some people like spending a bit of time in a new route exploring to see what wild encounters are available before pressing on. Others (like me haha) will just run around in the grass for a few encounters and then proceed with the story again, and if I find out anything I don't have yet is obtainable in that route I'll go back to it later.

How about you? Will you spend some time in new areas before moving on, or do you prefer to check on it later?

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    In the beginning I linger because the pokedex entries are nice and it becomes much easier to level up then later in the game. Although when the plot thickens, my trainer quickens.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I never proceed until I caught everything possible in that route or location that I haven't caught already. The only time I move on without catching everything in that area is when I require the ability to Surf on water or need a certain fishing rod in the area. However, after obtaining these things, I either return to that location if the Pokémon could only be caught there. Otherwise, I would just catch them in a different location that they might be in.

Years
    I generally just try to catch as much as possible without fishing/searching for rarer encounters.
    Then I move on and I'll fill in any gaps in the PokeDex after completing the maingame.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Sticks around for ten encounters or so. Includes encounters from wandering through grass while progressing. Does not play with route information on the first playthrough. (Exception: Might look for a specific Pokemon's location, like Mareanie.) Sees no point in clearing every route in succession. May find better odds elsewhere. (Example: the 1% Eevee in Sword in Route 4.)

Depends on two additional factors too.
    1. Number of repeats. Assumes nothing else new (or very low odds) after seeing the fifth Rattata or whatever. Continues looking if new things keep appearing.
    2. Number of Pokemon on the team. Cares less about other Pokemon with a full team. May exhibit more patience with a team of three, especially in an area with a useful type.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Sticks around for ten encounters or so. Includes encounters from wandering through grass while progressing. Does not play with route information on the first playthrough. (Exception: Might look for a specific Pokemon's location, like Mareanie.) Sees no point in clearing every route in succession. May find better odds elsewhere. (Example: the 1% Eevee in Sword in Route 4.)

Depends on two additional factors too.
    1. Number of repeats. Assumes nothing else new (or very low odds) after seeing the fifth Rattata or whatever. Continues looking if new things keep appearing.
    2. Number of Pokemon on the team. Cares less about other Pokemon with a full team. May exhibit more patience with a team of three, especially in an area with a useful type.

What do you do when you end up missing something that, say, is rare and can only be found on that route?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    What do you do when you end up missing something that, say, is rare and can only be found on that route?

Returns in postgame. Is not aware of missing anything until then. Views the first playthrough as "over" upon completing the main story. Gorges on information from then on.

Might switch to a different game or two before filling out the Pokedex, also. Ranks it as a low priority. Actively hunted a shiny Pokemon...once ever? (And not for long.) Potentially uses the Oval Charm. Started tying that to beating the main story, though, not seeing all the Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen today
    I mean, unless you're double-checking everything with a guide or website, you won't allways know if you caught everything in a given area, at least not during a first playthrough.

So what if you move on thinking you caught everything but you missed some mon with a 2% chance? Or the opposite, what if you wasted half an hour on the grass expecting something rare would eventually appear but there was nothing else? Not to mention other reasons why many wild Pokémon can be easily missable (like you're playing at nighttime and the Pokémon only appears during day, or a specific weather condition, or only available under special circumstances like SOS battles, etc.)

What I do is looking on websites for potential canditates for my team, see which Pokémon can be found in the game I started playing, and take notes on where/when they can be found so I don't miss the ones I care about. But catching everything has never been exactly an intuitive task, I see no point in completely cleaning up every area before allowing myself to proceed since I'm not a collector, and even if I was I still wouldn't see the point because you can't just complete the dex as you go anyway for many reasons.

Rarer Pokémon also usually become way easier to find later in the game, so why bother searching for a rare early game Golbat encounter when eventually you'll find Golbat everywhere in late game caves? Many Pokémon can be eventually found a lot easier and more naturally if you just keep playing normally.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    Whenever I play a new Pokemon game, I get OCD and HAVE to catch all the available pokemon in the route before moving on. I think it's because of the fear of missing out, even though I obviously know that I can just return later in the game.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Whenever I play a new Pokemon game, I get OCD and HAVE to catch all the available pokemon in the route before moving on. I think it's because of the fear of missing out, even though I obviously know that I can just return later in the game.

I'm the exact same way. I'm glad to hear that I'm not completely alone in that. I even recommended this style of play in my Pokémon Daily article that I wrote.

Years
    nah. i catch what i care about catching and move on. :c that said, i try to see what kinds of pokemon are available at a given route before moving to the next area, but if there aren't any i'm interested in then i'm not forcing myself to catch them, nope!

Years
    • Seen today
    I do a sweep through the routes but I'm not overly thorough. If I begin encountering similar Pokemon repeatedly, I'll quickly move on.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
    I do, actually. Otherwise I would end up feeling dissatisfied were I to continue on. Furthermore, I have an odd obsession with having my Pokémon team be at least ten or so levels higher than the next gym leader. Such an odd thing leads to me spending quite a bit of time cycling between the same wild areas.

Gotta catch 'em all. Woo!

Back